You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2013 10:49 pm  #1

I've wanted to cry for a few days

A lot of stressful things have happened in the past several months (mother's death, moving, moving again, a few other things), and while I've shed a few tears here and there, I just really want to have a good, hard cry. I feel a lot of emotions inside of me that I wish I could just release by sobbing, but I can't get it going. I don't usually full-on sob; my crying usually consists of a few tears, some shaky breaths, wavering voice, and maybe a quiet sob or two. But I just feel the overwhelming need to let it all out.

I don't know how to start, though. I've tried watching sad movies or tear-jerking music videos, but the few tears I shed are focused solely on the movie and don't develop into anything more. I've tried thinking about the things that are causing my anxiety/stress/sadness, but that usually ends up just making me feel upset and bummed for a few hours (without crying at all).

Any suggestions? I figured you guys wouldn't mind contemplating it. ;)

P.S. I'm not depressed in general or anything, don't worry. I'm able to distract myself and live my life pretty normally. I just feel this ache sometimes in my chest that I think would be alleviated by crying, and I'd love to figure out how to do that.

February 23, 2013 11:05 pm  #2

Re: I've wanted to cry for a few days

You can read Walden Welch's biography on a quiet night when you feel a bit melancholic and i guess that will be the equivalent of an emotional purge. I read it when i was fine and i say this, i have never ever seriously cried at anything, be it movie or book as i did while reading this interview.

It was soo gut whenching that i had to stop, cried myself profusely an hour or so, some hiccups too, do you know? Tears poured and i didn't know how this thing happened since i was not sad or troubled counsiously...If you want to get yourself on this i bet you'll cry very much

http://www.waldenwelchastrologer.com/#!biography

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

February 23, 2013 11:14 pm  #3

Interesting! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it soon; now at work would probably not be the best time to bawl my eyes out...

February 24, 2013 12:26 am  #4

ever see a movie Terms of Endearment?  Or Beaches?  Either one of them might be just what you need.

February 24, 2013 12:58 am  #5

Just looked up Terms of Endearment on IMDB... that sounds like a tearjerker for sure. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

My problem is that when I expect myself to cry, I become inhibited and I don't find the release naturally. I think I've built it up too far in my mind. Especially because I also get a bit aroused when I think about crying in any form. It's a complicated thing.

February 24, 2013 2:27 am  #6

If Terms of Endearment don't work, Steel Magnolias may.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 24, 2013 3:39 am  #7

caircair wrote:

If Terms of Endearment don't work, Steel Magnolias may.

I've heard that about it. I'll definitely try. I'm just afraid that I may shed three tears and then feel depressed, rather than crying it all out. But it's worth a shot!

February 24, 2013 4:01 am  #8

If none of the movies work, maybe try attacking it physically -- as in, pretend to sob.  Just pretend at first.  Do the best acting job you possibly can.  Let yourself feel heavy.  Feel every sensation.  Let your breathing change, let it build up and build up.  Let loose and pretend to sob.  Make it as real as possible.  You never know, it might turn into real crying.

February 24, 2013 10:58 am  #9

I agree with woundedpuppy, for me or if I think deep in my thoughts for a while why I'm upset then I cry. Then I feel better.

February 25, 2013 3:06 pm  #10

Woundedpuppy, I love that suggestion, and I actually tried that a few days ago. It almost worked, but there is a problem with that: one component of my fetish is that (if I am in the right state of mind) I am sometimes aroused by my own fake crying. When I was younger, I used to pretend to cry in the mirror, and sometimes I have filmed myself pretending to cry. However, I am not aroused by my actual crying. So if I get aroused by my fake crying, I don't end up actually crying, if that makes sense. I was disappointed, because I thought it might actually work.

I think I might try a sad movie very soon, and then when a few tears start to fall, I will make an effort to transition into sobbing. Like, almost pretend to sob while the tears are coming, and see if I can transition into actual sobbing. I think that's sort of similar to what you suggested, Woundedpuppy, but with the added catalyst of real tears.

And as you can see, I'm thinking about this too much, which makes it ten times harder! Ah well.

Board footera