You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2013 8:46 pm  #11

Re: I've wanted to cry for a few days

I saw this reality show called "The Starlet". It was about a group of young women who auditioned to have a role in the next installment of the Saw franchise. There was a scene where an acting coach taught the girls how to cry. She had them thinking about a sad moment in their life while breathing out in loud, heaving gasps. It worked pretty quickly on some of the girls, and the others started crying probably because of the first ones. 

I don't recommend using your mother's passing as the sad memory, though. 

Ugly crying is pretty crying

February 25, 2013 11:43 pm  #12

Yeah, I think I should try that again. I don't know what other sad memory to use, though... any other unpleasant memories I have pale in comparison to this. I think it might be okay to use her passing as the memory, since that's what I want to cry about, and I think about her a lot anyway. It wouldn't be a shock to think about it.

It's also awkward because I live somewhere now with neighbors and thin walls. Maybe I should try this in the car, haha.

February 26, 2013 4:43 am  #13

Actually, Carrotcake, if this is what you do want to cry about, then by all means use that memory.  I lost my paternal grandmother when I was 14, and to this day I have bouts of tears from missing and thinking about her.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 28, 2013 1:12 am  #14

Sounds like you've got some new things to try now.  Let us know when you succeed, what technique you had to use, and most of all, good luck!!

February 28, 2013 5:21 am  #15

woundedpuppy wrote:

Sounds like you've got some new things to try now.  Let us know when you succeed, what technique you had to use, and most of all, good luck!!

Thanks! I will let you all know what happens. It's also awkward for me to find a good chunk of time to try anything. I actually talked to my BF last night about wanting to cry (nothing much came of the conversation, but I always like discussing crying with my BF), and I realized that I have the desire to cry while I'm with him and be comforted, but I'm not sure I can do that right now. I did tear up briefly while watching a movie today, but it was a happy movie that just brought maybe two tears down my cheek and some sniffles (BF teared up too, btw -- watery eyes and one wipe around the eye). I just can't picture myself fake-sobbing, etc., in front of my BF. It seems awkward, lol.

But anyway. I'll keep you guys posted.

March 3, 2013 2:03 am  #16

carrotcake, try this on for size.  Watch a sad movie, and if it only makes you cry a tear or two, remember your mother and think about her while you're crying that tear.  That ought to do the trick right there.

March 21, 2013 6:33 am  #17

I had the same problem for about a whole year, just couldn't cry, nothing worked. Then, the movie Sam I Am BROKE ME APART. Sobbed for 3 hours. Might be wortha a shot.

If all else fails, Sophie's Choice.

“...you know that a good, long session of weeping can often make you feel better, even if your circumstances have not changed one bit.”
― Lemony Snicket, The Bad Beginning

March 21, 2013 8:03 pm  #18

Quick thought - if it's your mother that is your trigger, movies like "The Joy Luck Club" and "Brave" may do the trick.  They never fail to make me cry because the Mother-Daughter relationship(s) bring up memories of my mom and me.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

March 26, 2013 10:14 pm  #19

I agree with other posters if it's your mother you want and need to cry about then her memory will need to feature heavily in your mind. But, be careful - you obviously want to cry 'properly' but with a view to making you feel better in the long run - be aware of your sadness and loss turning inward and making you feel worse while trying to make yourself cry.

I'm assuming you are looking to breakdown completely and sob uncontrollably. The fact that you have been crying and shedding a few tears means you are letting out some emotions - I'm guessing not enough though. Have you experiences in the past where this intensity of crying has helped you.

The only suggestion I can add to the ones already given is sit down and talk about your mother with your boyfriend. Does your boyfriend know your triggers well enough to focus on the aspects of your mother's passing that will cause you to start crying? Even in this situation you will need to open yourself up completely and feel every emotion and every bit of pain as strongly as you can. Many people breakdown and cry during counselling so carrying out a counselling type setting my result in the desired effect.

Please, just be careful - you will know what works for you but be aware if you feel your getting too depressed.

March 30, 2013 1:25 pm  #20

tearhunter wrote:

I agree with other posters if it's your mother you want and need to cry about then her memory will need to feature heavily in your mind. But, be careful - you obviously want to cry 'properly' but with a view to making you feel better in the long run - be aware of your sadness and loss turning inward and making you feel worse while trying to make yourself cry.

I'm assuming you are looking to breakdown completely and sob uncontrollably. The fact that you have been crying and shedding a few tears means you are letting out some emotions - I'm guessing not enough though. Have you experiences in the past where this intensity of crying has helped you.

The only suggestion I can add to the ones already given is sit down and talk about your mother with your boyfriend. Does your boyfriend know your triggers well enough to focus on the aspects of your mother's passing that will cause you to start crying? Even in this situation you will need to open yourself up completely and feel every emotion and every bit of pain as strongly as you can. Many people breakdown and cry during counselling so carrying out a counselling type setting my result in the desired effect.

Please, just be careful - you will know what works for you but be aware if you feel your getting too depressed.

Thanks for this; it's very good advice. I did cry a little bit a few days ago about my mother, and it felt good. I have had experiences in the past in which an uncontrollably sobbing episode has helped me let out a lot of emotions, so I was hoping (and still am) for one at some point here.

My boyfriend definitely knows my triggers well enough to hit on the right ones. The only problem is that if he did this, he would probably start to cry, too. What makes me emotional is not necessarily remembering her actual death (this just makes me anxious), but remembering kind things she did for me, things that she'll miss in the future, etc. This is a touchy subject for my BF as well, because he was dealt a crappy set of childhood cards and is still dealing with the effects of his emotionally abusive parents, so he would probably begin to tear up as well. And, of course, the inevitable result is that if he starts to cry, I get turned on, and I have trouble focusing on my own emotions. Ah, the downside of being a crying fetishist!

I haven't really had the opportunity recently to think about crying because I've been working and traveling a lot. I think I will shed a few tears at some point today, because it happens to be my birthday, and it's the first one without my mother. I hope there will be some happy tears mixed in, because I don't want to spend my birthday crying and upset. But in the next couple of days, I might pull out some photo albums, maybe talk to my boyfriend about my mother, and see what happens.

I'll definitely post about any tears I manage to conjure. ;)

Board footera