You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2013 2:41 pm  #1

The Place Beyond the Pines

Hey everyone!  Thought I would add a partial find.  

My sister saw the movie The Place Beyond the Pines with Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper.  She says there are two great crying scenes one from Ryan Gosling and one from Bradley Cooper beginning and end of the movie respectively.  I haven't seen it yet though, just thought I would pass it along to you all.

Also, I read that Ryan Gosling's scene wasn't scripted, he just got really emotional for some reason (adorable!)

Enjoy!

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

April 22, 2013 5:09 pm  #2

Re: The Place Beyond the Pines

I read that too Yellowrose, it must be a wonderfull movie, the scene with Gosling can be seen for 2 seconds in the trailer on imbd but it's kind of frustrating that it's not more of it. God, i'm so anxious about this movie ! I also think that there are not just these two actors crying but other male characters as well..

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

April 24, 2013 9:58 pm  #3

I just watched the movie. As I usually like to watch a movie without reading any information about it (except for the plot summary from IMDB), I didn't know that Ryan Gosling had a crying scene here. I was really touched seeing him cry for some reason... somehow I felt like he was really crying & not acting.

So when I got home, I searched for him crying in this movie and got this article (out of many more): (SPOILER) http://d.pr/yFUz  (shortened so the long URL won't show up cos it spoils the story)

It's good to know that he wasn't acting; he was really crying and it was unscripted (he seemed to do that a lot, esp. when working with Derek Cianfrance -- the same director who did Blue Valentine starring Ryan Gosling & Michelle Williams).  

Last edited by sakura (April 24, 2013 10:02 pm)

April 25, 2013 1:17 am  #4

What about Bradley Cooper? Please, spoil it for me ..

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

April 25, 2013 6:42 pm  #5

(SPOILER) 

Okay, I'll spoil it for you, psychic_girl ^^ 

Bradley Cooper cried twice... at the beginning of his story (after the fateful meeting with Ryan Gosling's character), and at the ending. If you've watched Silver Linings Playbook or known about how he cries, it's probably safe to say that he can't cry normally. I mean, when he really cries (and not acting), he cries really ugly (with the sound like a hyena, as he said so himself: http://www.wbur.org/npr/171163989/bradley-cooper-finds-silver-linings-everywhere  -- oh how I wish I could see the original unedited scenes!).

The one at the beginning (he was at the hospital) sounded more like he was really crying, but it was very short, so kinda hard to tell.The one at the ending (he was with Jason), he was sobbing, his voice cracking, and he said sorry a couple of times. No tears could be seen, however, so I was thinking maybe he was acting in that scene. 

Ryan's crying in this movie was more touching somehow, although he wasn't sobbing..

April 26, 2013 2:37 am  #6

Thank you, Sakura for disclosing the way those guys played those scenes. I'm really less anticipating now then before and it's some sort of relief. I enjoy appeasing this fetish with the knowledge that crying at times it's just crying but yet when i get the rush it gets obsessive and mostly the anticipaton aggravates it..
I'm sorry that Cooper does't show more tears in this though..i don't know why it is so but i see a pattern here ! Silver Linings Playbook was the same, though a nice movie, not spectacular in term of Bradley's crying scenes. Just de Niro cries as a matter of fact..
Idon't mind that he sounds ugly, i wanna see the nakedness of it all..

Woody Harrelson

April 26, 2013 8:08 am  #7

I totally agree with you on this statement: "when I get the rush it gets obsessive and mostly the anticipaton aggravates it.."
Yes, exactly. Sometimes I wanna watch a movie just to see the crying scenes, which at some point beats the purpose of movie enjoyment :/

I also don't mind that Bradley sounds ugly when he cries, but apparently Hollywood doesn't like raw emotions :S
So with what I read in that article, I could only imagine...

May 6, 2013 6:58 pm  #8

I finally got around to seeing this movie.  Thought I would weigh in.

Ryan Gosling- you know that scene is real, because it's been my experience that tears usualy come first before anything else.  I love how its subtle but really sad at the same time.

Bradley Cooper-  I agree with sakura in that Bradley Cooper is a great crier, but again, Hollywood has ha hard time with raw emotion.  I think he's kinda forced to tone it down other wise it would be too much for the movie.  That being said, if you listen to him, he sounds similar to when he's trying to control himself on Inside the Actor's Studio.  Somebody do Bradley Cooper a favor and just let him cry like he wants to!  We'd love to see it.

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

May 7, 2013 7:34 am  #9

I saw it too last night at a local mall, but not very accurately because a friend of mine kept sending messages on my mobile and interrupting me during the movie . I saw 2 of  the scenes, the one were Gosling cries which is indeed beautiful, very subtle too, the way his face changes, even  flushes as he try to supress tears Lovely and the one with Cooper  towards the end, which is not bad at all, the sounds he makes are ok but he doesn't tear up too much, his eyes are only red..

Now the second scene with Cooper, well , this is the one i missed and i forgot to ask my friends about it.., i guess it was with him in the hospital, hmm..

Woody Harrelson

May 8, 2013 5:50 am  #10

I have to hand it to Bradley Cooper during the hospital scene.  His reaction to waking up in a hospital was very very realistic.  I've seen people act a combination of scared/confused/sad upon waking up and they often try to take off oxygen/BP cuffs and/or get out of bed

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of treating someone quite as good looking as Bradley Cooper tho

Board footera