You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2013 5:10 am  #1

Self-Obs

Well, these are never any fun to get, but I might as well put it to good use, right?

I was over at my boyfriend's this past weekend, and I was upset about something.  It was pretty trivial for the amount of emotion it caused, though it did have  to do with us (though we weren't fighting or mad at each other or anything).  Anyway, we went to bed the one night, and he was exhausted and had to get up early so he passed out immediately.  I, on the other hand, stayed up for a while, and found myself thinking about this.  I felt tears burning in my eyes and rolled away from him to face the room (he sleeps against the wall) so he wouldn't notice if he woke up.  Then I let them flow for a few minutes.  A steady stream of them ran from the corners of my eyes, onto my nose or down into my pillow.  I cried silently like that until I felt my nose start to stuff up.  I wanted to stop before the stuffiness became audible and a risk for giving me away, so I wiped everything away and tried to push it out of my mind, telling myself that I could cry when he left for work if I was still upset by then.  I find that I have a hard time stopping crying if I don't move from the position or place in which I was crying, so I rolled over to face him again.  That didn't completely work, though, and I felt one more tear escape from my eye.  Still trying to banish the thought, I pulled the blanket up close around me, trying to wipe the tear away with it in a movement that would look natural to someone sleeping (I'm so smooth at hiding my tears from unconscious people lol).  

After that I managed to stop crying for the rest of that night and all of the next day while I was there alone (he was on a 24-hour shift), but when I went to bed the next night, the thoughts came back.  Since I was alone this time, I decided just to let them go.  I sat up and faced the room and just let myself cry.  I did avoid sobbing because his roommate was home and their apartment is small, so I didn't want to be heard, but I cry without sobbing often anyway so this wasn't a notable hindrance.  Anyway, I let the tears flow for a very long time without even thinking about them, and my face was probably distorted, too, though I wouldn't have noticed.  When I finally did decide to wipe my tears, I did so with my hand.  I started by wiping my face (I think there was some snot, too, because it felt thicker near my nose) and then I wiped under my chin, where my tears tend to pool.  I kept crying, and probably wiped two more times before I started to get tired.  I knew I'd keep crying anyway if I didn't move around, and my nose was way too stuffed to let me sleep, so I got up and went into the bathroom, which is adjoined to the bf's bedroom.  I turned on the light and tried to blow my nose with some toilet paper (keep in mind I'm physically incapable of truly blowing my nose, at least to my knowledge, but after several weak attempts, I finally managed to clear my sinuses enough to breathe).  While I was there, I caught sight of myself in the mirror, still crying a little, and watched.  I saw a few tears roll from my eyes down my cheeks and under my chin, and I had perhaps the darkest of dark circles under my eyes (I was also somewhat sleep-deprived from college-ness).  However, as it turns out, watching myself cry might be a really good way to stop myself from crying, because I started paying attention to the details of the crying and therefore stopped thinking about the stimuli that was making me cry.  I wiped those last few tears and watched myself for a couple of minutes until I was sure no more were coming, and then I went to sleep.

April 30, 2013 2:25 am  #2

Re: Self-Obs

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with the group.  Yeah, paying attention to the details of crying is almost the best way to stop crying, I think!  I have sometimes had that experience (though unintentionally) when crying on cue.

Board footera