You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2013 10:15 pm  #1

New Mum Emotions...

Struck by Suckerformanlytears news that she has recently become a new mum (or is that mom for some of you  ) and the recent arrival of a new member of the uk royal family I thought I'd bring up the subject of parental crying triggered by these momentos events.

I believe William & Katie today describe the birth of their son as 'very emotional' - I take it from this statement both parents where crying - how I would love to see tears running down Kate's cheeks !!

For my wife it was not so much the actual birth (although she did cry) it was 4 or 5 days after. She became very emotional for no real reason and proceeded to cry - full on tears - for about 5 hours - virtually continuous. She was completely unable to stop the tears streaming down her face.

From stories I've heard from other mum's this is not uncommon as hormones do their thing. Any mum's on the forum have first had experience of this? Anyone else have stories of friends / family members having 'baby blue's days'?

These events don't actually seam to be damaging depression events - they don't appear to trigger lasting 'baby blue' / depression feelings. In fact I wonder if letting it all out at this stage helps keep depression at bay?

Anyway, discussion and thoughts with as many real life stories as possible please....

July 23, 2013 10:30 pm  #2

Re: New Mum Emotions...

I have no personal experience. In my teenage years I used to watch those hospital reality shows about births, just to see those women cry. The crying was more likely to happen if the baby was a girl (at least, by my observations). I got some pretty good observations out of them.  

Ugly crying is pretty crying

August 8, 2013 7:49 pm  #3

No one else got any experiences, either personally or that they have witnessed?

I'll add more information regarding my wife's emotions after giving birth. She remembers getting up in the morning 4 or 5 days after giving birth. She was still in hospital with our baby. She immediately felt different, low and emotional - just realising this was enough to caused tears to well up - but she blinked them back being on a full ward and not wanting to cry in front of other new mums. She was also aware that if she started to cry she might have problems stopping.

She got up and was generally ok until after lunchtime - still a bit low but no immediate emotions rising to the surface. Our baby was in special care and as she watched her the emotions started to come back. I think it was triggered by a feeling of helplessness as she could not care for our baby directly herself - nurses where doing that for her in first few days.

Her eyes started to fill with tears and she knew she was not going to be able to keep them at bay for much longer so she left for a walk outside the hospital building to try and get some privacy. She felt herself starting to cry as she approached the door leading outside and buy the time she was opening the door tears began to fall. She was blown away by the volume of tears streaming down her face. She was also starting to sob and because of her c-section this was getting painful. She looked for a seat outside but no seat was to be found - I remember her telling me she could not even see because of the constaint tears. She had lifted a pile of tissues but they were already soaked and uesless..

She re-entered the hospital and headed for the nearest toilet (at least she could sit down!) and continued to cry. But after a while she began to get worried that people coming into the toilet would hear her crying - she was unable to contain the sobbing. She was full on crying still with uncontrollable shaking of her shoulders. I was at work so did'nt see any of this but I'm fairly sure (given what I saw later) a BLT would have been present.

She walked back up to the ward still crying, avoiding eye contact with anyone on the way. A nurse found her in the ward corridor - still full on crying and sobbing. She tried to tell the nurse that nothing was wrong (and she meant it - she did not know why she was crying) but she broke down even further into loud sobs (by her accounts very loud) and could not make herself understood.

The nurse showed her into a private room (used for breast feeding privacy I think) and let her cry there. She continued to cry almost without stopping all afternoon. She was given her dinner in this room and as she eat tears continued to drip from her eyes off her nose into her food!

When I arrived at the hospital it took me a while to find her - I think I came across the nurse who put her in the room and she said she is have a bit of an emotional day. When I opened the door and saw her I was shocked. She had almost stopped crying but immediately started sobbing again, I don't think I've heard her cry so loudly before or since. Tears streamed down her face like a dripping tap - but surprisingly her eyes where not particularly red. Her bottom lip was trembling (very unusal for my wife) and she was unable to speak. Her face and neck were soaked with tears, her pale blue top was wet around the collar and countless tear drops were visible splashed across her breasts, even her jeans had visible tear drops splashed across them. The bucket beside her was full to the brim with discarded tissues - and it was a big bucket!

I held her in my arms tightly and allowed her to continue crying - I could feel her body shake as I held her- loud sobbing in my ear. I could feel tears dripping onto my shoulder and back. After 10mins of this (which feels like a very long time) I broke the embrace to see if I could help stop the crying. I watched as tears filled tear tracks on her face as fresh drops streamed down her face. Her eye lashes where all wet and sticking out at odd angles. Her eyes were full of tears, constanintly filling and draining - her eyes were a stunning smokey blue! After about another 15 mins she began to slow down again - I had to be careful not to say anything that might start her off (which she did a few times but only for a few minutes).

She started to cry again as I left later that evening - but she thought she was almost feeling empty as she put it - but completely exhausted.

She cried a few times the next day but not nearly as much as the day before. She was actually very tearful for about 4 - 5 months after giving birth. Crying a lot more frequently than is normal for her. Her emotions only really went back to normal when she stopped breast feeding.

So, that's a very detailed account of what my wife still says is the biggest and most tearful crying event of her life. She can't ever see herself beating it. She hoped not anyway!

Personally I wish I could invent a pill that would trigger even a tenth of the hormone change that fuelled this crying event. As my wife said countless times she had no idea really why she was crying. She felt low and sad but didn't think it warranted the tears it produced. So, without causing any real pain or hurt you get floods of tears!

Can't be bad can it 

Last edited by tearhunter (August 8, 2013 7:58 pm)

August 8, 2013 8:52 pm  #4

Oh, tearhunter, I LOVE that story. Postpartum hormones can be crazy.

I don't yet have children, but I know that when I do, I will most likely shed some tears. If my BF ends up being the father of my children, I can guarantee he'll get teary, too. His eyes tear up just talking about having children with me (or even sometimes adopting a cat, lol).

August 9, 2013 11:10 am  #5

Wow, that's really cute carrotcake

Tearhunter, i remembered i also had a similar tearing event but only for 4 hours after an exam that i took for admission on highschool. A teacher told me after the exam that i was not allowed to use white paste corrector on my paper lest it will be dismissed and my parents argued me very hard that i didn't know the rules and used it all over my paper..

I was so worked out over it and worried that when i came home i started sobbing really bad, with tears streaming continuously untill i had to take off my t shirt because it was soaked around the neck and on my chest.
I remembered wanting to cry in the school yard and later on streets while we were heading home but i refrained it and then when i was safe i burst..I cried for like 4 hours without stopping and then my mother gave me a light sedative. I felt dehydrated afterwards..
You know that if someone cries like that can even faint at one point..

Last edited by psychic_girl (August 9, 2013 11:12 am)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

August 10, 2013 10:38 am  #6

psychic_girl, sounds like an amazing crying episode as well. What strikes me about your huge crying event and my wife's is that the human body has the ability to take crying to a completely different level if it needs to. Normal you get upset at something cry a bit, a few tears fall - even if it's quite a big cry it tends to be over fairly quickly. But under the right conditions the floodgate can open for hours and a crazy volume of tears can be shed.

I've often wondered about the number and volume of tears my wife shed that day. It must have been hundreds if not thousands. It would have varied throughout the day but at peak intensity one of her eyes shed a tear every 2-3 seconds! I remember looking at her eyes after hugging her and watching the tears, right, left, right, <blink> right & left together, left, .... read this slowly and that was the tear rate roughly. As we hugged each other I felt drip, drip, drip of her tears on my back - my t shirt had wet patches and tear splaches over it.

It's probably therefore not a surprise that this volume of crying can cause dehydration - along with being very tired my wife complained of a headache - classic dehydration sympthom.

With regard to fainting, might be wrong but this could be down to not getting enough oxygen - sobbing can restrict and effect your breathing which if intense could lead to fainting I guess. 

August 10, 2013 2:23 pm  #7

Now thinking in retrospect it was a build up that caused the tearing event, the stress before and during the exam ( i was my favourite domain and i wanted to score an A which i did finally), the shock upon finding out the bad news and grief since everyone was pushing me around and then embaressement . I didn't want my classmates to see me crying in the yard or the people on the streets so i posponed my outburst as long as i could.
So on this ocassion it's a very strong release of unpent emotions.
Your wife must have had the same thing building for many days in a row, worrying about the baby, not being able to care for it,having physical pain, embaressement etc.. So when the wave hit, it hit with tremedous force..

Last edited by psychic_girl (August 10, 2013 2:26 pm)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

August 10, 2013 3:19 pm  #8

I have two children but I can't remember that I had any crying events during the births. I surely was more emotional and would tear up easily but I never shed any  tears during that time.
Anyhow I can understand how you felt, psychic girl, and also your wive, tearhunter.
I had a similar experience.
My mother is depressive. She was very manipulative when I was younger and I stayed home (means I didn't get my own flat) for a long time, because I was afraid that she would harm herself when I leave her. One day I found a huge amount of sleeping pills in her handbag and I was shocked. I didn't dare confronting her with the fact that I knew. We often had arguments about minor things and usually I didn't say much, because I was afraid that she could attempt suicide because of an argument.
I can't remember the exact reason why, but I remeber that it was on my 20 th birthday, when she completely ticked out and tried to hit me, cursing... That event caused my father to seek help and we had one counceling session with a woman. This woman set us on two sofas, my mother next to me and my father on the other couch and started asking questions. I remember that I was on the verge of tears from the beginning because I was so tense with the whole situation. At one point this woman asked me why I was nearly crying. That was for me the "point of no return". I never experienced someting similar before or after. Usually I don't cry in front of others but at that time I had no choice. I started sobbing lound and very hard and I nearly couldn't catch my breath anymore. Tears were spilling down my cheeks and I burried my face in my hands. I just remember the counceler stroking my back telling me to breath deeply and talking someting about a deep pain I am having. I can't remember the rest of the session. I just remember that I took my motorcycle afterwards heading to my boyfriend, still crying. During this crying fit I had the feeling I would suffocate and faint and afterwards I felt week and shaky, that I almost couldn't drive the motorcycle.

August 10, 2013 3:42 pm  #9

I watched a baby birthing programme once and the Dad was a soldier and heading to Afganistan very shortly afterwards. I remember him being worried that he would miss the birth. As it happened the baby arrived in time and he got very teary when it was born and it was really cute to see. However, what made it stand out to me was the fact that the mum was so intent on her new baby she had not noticed he was crying. When she found out afterwards she actually said she was disapponted to have missed it because she had NEVER seen him cry before lol. Obviously he was a pretty tough guy which made it even more sweet that he got emotional when his baby was born.

I have seen a few baby birthing programmes and I think that most women cry when their babies are born, but I love it when the new dads cry too. It's such a happy event so it's guilt free pleasure.

Crying does not indicate you are weak, since birth it has been a sign that you are alive.

August 10, 2013 7:53 pm  #10

Flatter, i'm so sorry you had to go through this at that time  and i hope your mother got better after the teraphy. Usually depression is managed in time with persevering in counseling and a proper treatment, a change of living even..

Can you tell us how did your mother react upon seeing you break down like that? If you don't want too it's ok. The therapist reacted very nicely as far as you told us here. It's horrible to have a parent unable to identify his own problems. My father has Asperger and he doesn't have empathy when i go through bad times but he said me that unlike other girls he knew i cry very rarely which is quite true..

Woody Harrelson

Board footera