You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2013 3:56 pm  #1

i cried at work :(

Ok, here goes. I work with young men with pretty profound autism, and on occasion they can become physically aggressive. One boy in particular, 17 years old, had already smacked me in the head once yesterday, but it was open-hand so it didn't hurt that much. Then later in the night he asked to take a shower (he had already taken two that afternoon), and I said, "no, showers are finished" without looking up from the paperwork I was doing, stupidly, and he punched me in the head. It really hurt this time, and tears immediately sprang to my eyes. I told him to go to his room, and my coworker came over to see what was going on. I explained, and my voice was shaky and my eyes were still teary (I was working really really hard to keep them in my eyes). My coworker was cool about it and sat with the kid while I finished filling out my paperwork and reported the incident. I tried to stay professional as much as possible, and luckily it was only about 10 minutes until the end of my shift. Then I went to my car and cried harder for about 30 seconds, to let the tension out. Then I drove home. I told my boyfriend about it, and he said that I shouldn't be embarrassed, and that if he were my coworker he would totally understand that I was shaken up by it. I was still pretty mortified though.

On a slightly tangential note, I've read a bunch of articles about crying at work, mostly directed at women, and they all agree that it should be avoided as much as possible. But what bugs me is that it assumes that we all work in these white-collar office jobs, without recognizing that people in other professions may have perfectly legitimate reasons to cry at work. Doctors, EMTs, social workers, humane officers, these people all see horrifying things at work, and none of the "don't cry at work" articles reflect that.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

August 8, 2013 7:08 pm  #2

Re: i cried at work :(

I'm firmly in the belief that people should be allowed to cry whenever they need too - including at work if necessary. I think I'd have this opinion even if I didn't have a crying fetish.  It's not surprising in the slightest that you started to cry after such a fright. I'm glad you at least still let yourself cry when you were alone (did tears fall down your face then? )

It annoys me somewhat that these articles on the web discourage crying in the work place. Basically they discourage it because of the perceived view other may have of you for showing emotion. Nothing about the person thats upset! Very few people cry delibrately these days in a work environment so you have to assume that any show of emotion in genunie. Why is the focus then not on helping that person rather than criticising them and probably making them feel even worse.  

Over the years I've seen several people cry (almost all women) in the office - all office white-collar jobs. And I can honestly say my opinion did not alter with any of them. In fact if anything I probably placed more respect on them for being open and honest.

I sometime wonder if it really does have the negative effect that these articles say it does. I'm sure folks on here will have bad stories to tell (please do tell - good and bad) but I've not witness any seriously negative responses to tears.

I've notice women tend to wipe tears away more when they cry at work. Which is a bit counter-productive as it more often than not makes their eyes redder! My wife has cried at work a few times (office white-collar job) and during one particular emotional 1-2-1 conversation (discussing unfair pay rises) with her boss she started to cry. She told me later she was angry with herself for crying but so wanted to get her point across she pressed on - tears and all. She was so focused she allowed the tears to roll down her face unchecked, dripping off her chin in full view of her male boss. Voice was very shaky almost to the point of sobbing. He never reacted to her tears until the very end when he told my wife to stay back a few minutes alone in the room to compose herself. Saying this actually started a fresh round of tears. Although at the meeting she felt she did not get anywhere a few months later she got a pay rise - so her tears at the earlier meeting obviously did not do her any real harm.

To be honest (and I'll wait for the responses from all you women on the forum) it's hard for a guys to show emotion at work. More so in front of other males. People may raise an eyebrow at a woman crying but it's a whole different ball game if a guy is seen crying.

Personally I've only cried once at work but that was only in front of a female colleague who was also a friend. Because I trusted her (very important) I was not embarrased and allowed tears to fall freely - she actually started crying with me - unchecked tears as well. But I must admit I would not allow myself to cry in front of the entire office - that would be uncomfortable.

But, perhaps employing double standards here I would not discourage anyone else from crying. So, in my book your emotions are fine

Once last point (I've gone on long enough) - I've been training as a counsellor and they discourage the counsellor from showing any emotion. Not because the counsellor is not allowed to have feeling but because it detracts from the person being counselled. In counselling the individual being counselled is the most important person and the focus must be 100% on them. That's not to say counsellors don't tear up but thet must try not to let the clients see.

Interest subject - hope to here more views from you all.

August 8, 2013 9:06 pm  #3

I'm sorry you had a bad day at work.

I've never personally cried at work, but I despise crying in public in general. If I felt that I was about to, I would go into the bathroom or car, but I'm pretty good at keeping my emotions in check in public. I did cry once in college after a conversation with a particularly unpleasant professor, but I only allowed one tear to fall in the stairwell before taking a deep breath and walking out. I just really hate being seen in tears by anyone but my significant other.

That being said, this is just my personality. I don't agree that tears should never be shed at work; in fact, as a crying fetishist, I promote it! But seriously, as you said, meantangerine, there are certain fields that are extremely emotional. I would never find it unusual or surprising to see, for example, a doctor tear up after a patient passed away. I have a friend who is a nurse, and she said that while the doctor she works for does not become emotionally involved in every case, she caught him blinking back tears in his office after a mother of three passed away in the hospital. Sometimes, certain things touch you (and deeply sadden you). That's part of being human.

August 8, 2013 10:18 pm  #4

Part of the stigma about crying at work, I believe, is that it can be viewed as "unprofessional".  Personally, I have no problem with shedding a few tears, but outright sobbing would probably make co-workers uncomfortable.  The few times I had a crying jag I went into the bathroom and locked myself into a stall until I was able to compose myself.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

August 9, 2013 1:52 pm  #5

My stance on crying at work is to do it in the bathroom or in some private corner, with only senior or trusted co-workers for company. It can be demoralizing, uncomfortable or distracting to your co-workers. Then again the dacryphiliac side of me would want them to cry openly. I think Meantangerine did it the proper way. 

Anyway, sounds like you had a shitty couple of days, meantangerine. I hope there are ways to make workplace safer.  

Ugly crying is pretty crying

August 10, 2013 8:12 am  #6

meantangerine you don't exately have a white collar office job! Me neither. I won't tell you exactely what I do but I work in the medical field. From my observations I can tell that nurses are more likely to shed some tears then doctors. Ther are very few male nurses, maybe the nurses feel better being under women and allow themselves to cry. Also nurses are more involved in the care of the patient, they see the patient several times per day, maybe talk to them whereas the doctor just comes in for some examination or on the ward round and is less involved with the patient.

Board footera