You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2013 6:50 pm  #1

Tears for moving on

All today, I've been feeling a bit down. Not sure why, just felt kind of hollow and sad and lethargic. Late this afternoon, I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do, so I made myself a playlist of melancholy songs and lay down on my bed.

I listened to a few songs, and it was making me feel quite calm, and then I began to think of a friend that I desperately miss. I've just graduated from university, you see, a place I love more than anywhere in the world, where I've made some of the best friends I've ever had, so I've been feeling sad about all the people I won't be seeing very often any more. A memory came to me: the last time I saw this friend, where I was at the pub with some mates, and we were feeling very affectionate towards one another, and so happy to be in each other's company, but it was bittersweet because I was leaving the town in two days' time.

All of a sudden, thinking of that evening, I went from calm to overwhelmed with emotion. My face crumpled and I closed my eyes and began to sob, dryly at first and then a few seconds later, tears began to leak from my eyes and roll down my face. I did not wipe them away, but I pressed my fists into my forehead to comfort myself. I cried in little bursts; each time I remembered how much I miss my university, my bottom lip trembled and bulged downwards, and fresh tears ran down my cheeks. My sobs were quiet, as I am temporarily living with my family, and I did not wish them to hear me. After about five minutes, I grew calm again. I looked in the mirror, and saw that my face was not red, only wet with tears. I dried my eyes with a tissue. Some of the tears had dripped from my chin onto my chest, so I dabbed there too. It was an odd burst of crying, coming and going very quickly, but I felt better for it - lighter, in comparison to the heavy feeling of the rest of the day.

Now that I think of it, the friend that I was thinking of today is the same friend who was there when I had another sobbing fit, before I left university. He was walking back with me from a very alcohol-fuelled garden party, and in my very inebriated state, I became very emotional and sobbed uncontrollably all the way back to my accommodation, before crying on my boyfriend for about forty minutes. It may sound like an overreaction, but the place has been my home for three years, somewhere I have felt more accepted and able to be myself than I ever have before, and I was devastated to leave.

Well, I set out on this post with the intention of sharing my crying episodes for your enjoyment, but this has been quite cathartic! I apologise for the long post, but I think it helped me to set it out. Perhaps some of you have experienced tears (either your own or others') when leaving a place you've grown attached to, or when someone else has left?

August 19, 2013 8:58 pm  #2

Re: Tears for moving on

Sorry you are feeling so bad leaving university. It is ineresting that you started sobbing first. Usually the tears flow first and the sobs follow later. Maybe the tears are obvious to others, a proof you are loosing control and it doesn' t matter anymore if there is sobbing or not. Hope you understand what I mean, basically: tears or sobs first (or even sobs at all)?
About your question: I guess it is the group feeling, having a good time together. It stayes over years, bitter- sweet! Success, doing something for the first time, doing it on its own and being proud of it.

August 19, 2013 11:23 pm  #3

Your description of those final University days make me feel nostagic too but not tearfull. I was not overly attached to my teachers and with the collegues there , well, i'm friends in the present and we see each other on week-ends ( we are very close now). Maybe you should not be cut off right away from them..do you miss them, your mates or the days spent there studying along with your teachers?

If i remember i cried too but for different reasons on the day of graduation. I was among those who didn't finish my license paper so i didn't graduate in the summer like my mates.

I was invited too though and i was dressed and ready to participate there but minutes before leaving home i felt very awkard for having to pretend i graduated, having to put on a smiling and glorius face for the pictures, getting dress in a graduating suit and all that..I was embaressed and right before leaving while i was combing my hair and put make up i started tearing up and spoiled it. The mascara started to get thick and streaming under my eyes..I was deeply ashamed then and i went to bed just like that and cried for half an hour, sobbing lightly and sighting..Then i fell asleep and reconforted..

Last edited by psychic_girl (August 19, 2013 11:25 pm)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

August 21, 2013 7:21 pm  #4

Hey Flatter, I know what you mean, that hasn't really happened to me before - the sobbing before crying thing. I think maybe it was because I kind of wanted to cry, in the hope I'd feel better, so maybe I gave myself up to the feelings before the tears were quite ready.

Psychic girl, I miss all those things! I will go back and see people though, you're right. That sounds like a horrible experience you had

Board footera