You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2013 1:31 am  #1

Somewhat Obs

So, I came as close as I've ever been to seeing my boyfriend cry in person last night.  He's been going through a lot of hardship pretty much all of his life, and recently he's entered a new chapter of it.  Last night, he came home with me from a day of fun together and we settled down with some hot tea before going to bed.  My stepmom was awake and talking with us, and I can't even remember what happened now, but something was said that started my bf off on a rant about what's been going on with him.  He and my stepmom were more the ones talking, and I was sitting next to him, listening.  As he explained his new situation, he had to touch upon something particularly painful in his past to explain it to my stepmom, and I heard his voice get really choked and emotional.  I looked at him and could see unshed tears in his eyes, and when he finished speaking, he had a very obvious BLT for a minute.  I reached for his hand, which was already curled up loosely around something he was holding, and took it in mine, caressing his knuckles with my thumb.  He didn't in any way acknowledge my touch, and after a moment he moved to put down the thing he was holding, breaking our contact.  However, he did regain his composure.  At another point later in the conversation, I saw the tears in his eyes again and heard the emotion in his voice.  This time, I put my hand on his outstretched arm and rubbed it, but again, he didn't acknowledge my touch but simply found a way to naturally break it a moment later.  

Those were the closest instances of the night that he came to crying.  I was a little frustrated that, when he finally opened up, it was around my stepmom, because I think he would have let himself cry had it just been me with him, and I was also a little discouraged that he didn't seem comforted by my touch.  

Anyway, when he had calmed down and finished his rant, we went to bed and I tried to talk to him more in private, as there are some things I want to address regarding the two of us and things that he's only talked about to me.  He listened for a few minutes, but asked if we could talk more later because he wanted to sleep.  He had admitted earlier in the night that he'd been having a really hard time sleeping, so I didn't argue but just put my arms around him and let him try to sleep.  

August 22, 2013 5:41 pm  #2

Re: Somewhat Obs

Thanks for posting the obs. I'm sorry you felt frustrated about the situation and his response to your comforting; I would have felt the same way. It's possible that he was embarrassed to be crying in front of your stepmom, and he felt that acknowledging the comforting gestures would have drawn attention to the crying. I bet he'll be more open to the comforting when it's just the two of you.

August 23, 2013 3:52 am  #3

Re: Somewhat Obs

It's possible.  I was wondering if maybe acknowledging my comforting would have sent him closer to the edge.  I know that when I'm upset, I can usually hold it back until someone points out I'm on the verge of crying, and he didn't so much as hold my hand when it was in his, which wouldn't have been very noticeable.  

I'm hoping he'll be more open when it's just us, too, but I'm worried about how long it'll take to get a chance to talk to him.  I'm leaving for school on Sunday, and I'm not sure we'll get any time alone before then.  I was texting him about that today, and he said we could wait until later if we have to.  I'm coming back from school in two weeks to take him to a concert, so I really want to try to get him alone then, because I can't fathom waiting longer than that.  I just can't stop thinking about him and all the things I want to say to him.  

Board footera