You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2013 6:06 pm  #1

Maternal feelings

I didn't posted for quite a while because i started my new job at a kindergarden in the nursery section. It was a very intense experience for me since i have never worked with children who are that small ( about 2-3 years old) and it was a private school lead by an arabic principal. At first i was very enthusiastic about the new job for which i strived to make a very good impression during the training ( all this summer) as i was going to learn some lesson planning techniques from the headmaster of the school. I was suppoesed to teach English to the children.

Anyway, first of all they told me i was going to teach bigger children, pre-schoolers but then another girl came in and they made up their minds and gave me the Nursery. I tried to work as hard as i could though i was very low paid and stayed there for 8 hours though on my contract there were mentiond 3 hours of teaching. I got to do a lot of stuff except teaching such as consoling the little ones when their mothers left, dresing them, supervising them.

It was my first time when i carried a child in my arms to sooth him since they didn't quite like being there and not all of them were happy..but for some reason the principal was not satisfied and 3 days ago told me she received a complaint from one of the parents that i was not maternal enough with some kid. She refused to tell me whom did it and later on i found out she lied because she does the complaint thing every month so as not to raise the employer's income as time goes by..
I got very upset and i handed  in my resignation. The headmaster was very mean with me for being soo ungratefull with her and so insensitive with the children which was not true.

At home after a talk to my mother i started crying in my room at a glimpse, feeling guilty for leaving the chhildren. My eyes simply welled up with tears and at one point i noticed 4 streams of tears on my cheeks instead of the usual two. There were a lot of tears but no sobbing, nor BLT. I lasted for 3 minutes or so. Then i could feel ok but the next second i would tear up again.
I felt also very weak these weeks because i caught a stomach flu from the kiddies there and for 3 days i had severe diarrhea. One morning i started crying again while being sick for fear i couldn't come to work but i went anyway..
I felt very relieved though and next monday i'm going to be hired somewhere else, in another kindergarden..
I don't know what to say about the crying, i guess i was sorry for the children, for having to leave them..

Last edited by psychic_girl (September 28, 2013 6:07 pm)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

September 29, 2013 10:52 am  #2

Re: Maternal feelings

I can sympathise with how you felt psychic_girl - when you put so much effort in and get so little return it can be very difficult and sole destroying. My daugther attended nursery and you guys work really hard all day and are paid so little for doing what is a demanding job.

Unfortuately other people don't see this most of the time - especially employers! People so often have a different agenda to get what they want - whether its a parent wanting an excuse to keep the fees down or an employer wanting to ensure they don't want to give you a pay rise!

The maternal feelings is a difficult one - I assume you don't have kids of your own. It can be difficult making that attachment to other peoples children. I think it's a bit unfair to complain when you have only being doing the job for a few months at most. Rather than upholding the complaint your employer should have supported you and asked about how you felt and determined whether you should be showing more materal type feelings or not.

Its not a surprise that you cried because of the way you where treated. Especially if you were a bit run down (nurseries are breading grounds for bugs!) - but to me it shows you care deeply about the job (if not the employer) the fact you shed a lot of tears shows how upset you where at the outcome.

Congratulations on getting another nursery job so quickly - fingers crossed this works out for you.

September 29, 2013 5:15 pm  #3

Thanks Tearhunter , i hope it's going to be ok this time , luckily is not a nursery , it's kindergarden and i get to work 4 hours a day intead of 8 as i did in this school. It's like a part time job..and maybe i'll manage to find a second one soon enough or i can look for some private lessons.

Yeah the part with being and feeling maternal was actually a matter of timing. Maybe the principal didn't get to see me holding or soothing the children and she assumed, as i am not a mother, that i don't know how to behave with them which was not a very professional endeavour.
 I had to learn very soon how to take care of a child because the better he/she felt with me , the more i could get to teach him/her some words in English anf follow the Curriculum..but anyway now it's useless to beat a dead horse. I'll look to brighter days in my new job..

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

September 30, 2013 8:06 pm  #4

I'm guessing kindergarden is older kids - here we call it nursery up until they go to school at 5 years of age - then although the care is offered by the same place (different room however) it's called after school club.

You don't need to have children of your own to be maternal so yes very short-sighted of your principal. But, you've got the right attitude - look to the future, but behind you.

October 1, 2013 11:28 am  #5

In my country is pretty similar, the Nursery comprises 2-3'30 years old children , Kindergarden 4-5 years old and 6 years it's called Preschool..

Woody Harrelson

Board footera