You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2013 1:23 pm  #1

First Observation post (f)

I've been encouraged to share. So here goes.

During medical school, we have a course called gross anatomy, during which we dissect the preserved body of a deceased human being. At the end of the year we hold a ceremony honoring these people who have donated their bodies to science. I had not realized how emotional it would be. It was a little over an hour long, and family members stood up and talked about the lives, accomplishments, dreams, and legacies of their relatives who had donated their bodies to science. It turns out that the cadaver I had dissected was the body of a respected physician who had practiced medicine for 45 years. The emotions I felt at this were so complex. Gratitude, sadness, joy, admiration, and that doesn't even begin to describe it. I was sitting at a table with two other female classmates and one male professor.

One of the girls (sitting across from me) began to cry first. She sat there for about a minute just wiping under her eyes with her index finger, over and over. Then when she saw me looking, she gave me a little smile, then put her elbow on the table and pressed the back of her hand against her mouth. She stayed like this for about ten minutes and wiped each tear from right under her eyes.

I had teared up at the same time as her, but I had successfully blinked them back. But when I heard the other girl stifle a sob, I lost it. My eyes blurred and I felt tears slip down my face and onto my arms. My lips were quivering a lot. I breathed mostly through my mouth but sniffled lightly to keep my nose from running. As I looked down to pull my handkerchief from my bag, a tear dropped down to the tip of my nose, which I brushed away. When I cry at home or in front of friends I usually let the tears roll, but I think sitting in front of a professor made me self conscious. So, I wiped each tear midway down my cheek, by brushing the back of my index finger upward where the tear was, and then wiping my wet finger on the handkerchief. I cried like this, on and off, over the next half hour. I must have shed 15-20 tears, two or three of which made it all the way down my cheek. I kept a straight face through most of it, but then they showed us these beautiful cards that had been made for the families, and asked us to write a small thank you note in them, I did lose control of my lips. I'm sure I had a BLT for thirty seconds while I was writing. When the event was over, I went to the bathroom to assess the damage to my makeup and blow my nose, but it was way too crowded so I just left after mingling for a while.

When I got home, I got distracted reading some mail and didn't look at myself until much later, when my gf arrived and amusedly shoved a mirror into my hands. There was a very slightly dark streak of eyeliner/mascara coming from the outer corner of my eye all the way down my left cheek. I hadn't even seen it in my small makeup mirror and I had not felt it. You miss just one tear, and you start looking like a sad clown. At times like this I wish I had male tear ducts.

This post is too long so I'll stop with the details unless you'd like more. But I did see several guys crying as well as many many other women.

Last edited by truffle (October 3, 2013 6:31 pm)

October 3, 2013 2:58 pm  #2

Re: First Observation post (f)

This is a wonderful obs; thank you so much for sharing it. That sounds like an incredibly emotional experience.

If you don't mind sharing briefly, what sort of crying did you see from the men in the room? Were there tears flowing/any lip contortion? Were there any audible sobs in the room (male or female) besides the one sob that you mentioned?

October 3, 2013 7:18 pm  #3

Truffle - this is a fantastic post - I completely understand the huge mix of emotions you must have been feeling, very emotional indeed.

The description of your tears is simply beautiful - seriously I reckon from your word that you cry in what I consider is the most stunning way - my wife cries like this and I think it's incredible.

I find it intersting that in general you allowed your tears to fall and wiped some of them away from your cheek but allowed others to roll all the way down your face and you put the brushing away of your tears down to a male professor sitting nearby. If he looked over (and I assume he probably did a one point) he would have seen you were crying and probably seen a tear roll down your face - so he would have pretty much seen everything there was to see. I can understand you feeling self consious but it always make me wonder when I hear this aspect of crying in public. My wife has done this type of crying in public - like you in private the tears flow unchecked - and I asked her why she wiped the odd tear from her cheek but let others drip of her chin - was she emabarrsed about her tears. No, she replied, my tears and emotions where 100% justified so I was not embarrased - it was the fact that the odd tear 'tickled' as the fell and she was more aware of it making it's way down her cheek and people would probably be watching it fall.

If you let tears fall unchecked (and the ones in this observation) do they run under your chin and drip off, drip off your chin / nose or roll down your neck? I love the journey some tears go on.

I find smudged, streaked eyeliner a huge turn on - it looks stunning in my view.

Male tears ducts eh! - what does that mean  - unfortunately this males tear duct can produce a good number of flowing tears - maybe I've got female tear ducts !

I'd love to here more of your observations (don't mind male ones as well) - you write them in a very visual way so don't worry about them being on the long side - they are great.

October 3, 2013 8:09 pm  #4

Yes, please do share more of your stories. What a wonderful observation, and I'm sure I would have reacted the same way in your position.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

Board footera