You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2013 7:49 pm  #1

another husband obs

The one thing that seems to get to my husband emotionally is the feeling that he is a poor provider because of our financial issues. Most of the tears I've seen from him have been related to money worries.yesterday the electric company to shut off our power, which we thankfully to avoid.when my husband came from work I could tell he wasn't himself.I asked him what was wrong but he kept insisting he was just tired.after a while I said"are you sure your just tired?" He said "well that and I have no money." I had made a couple of sales of the jewelry I make and offered to give him what I had just made but he said it wouldn't make a dent in the thousands he needed.I left it at that.

I decided though that whatever I could do was better than nothing. When he came to lay in bed where I was watching a movie after he put the kids to bed I casually handed him a few hundred dollars from my most recent sales and went back to watching. I was hoping he'd be glad our relieved but after a couple of minutes he hasn't said anything so I turned to look at him.he was on his belly, his glasses were paying next to him and he was propped on his elbows with the heels of his hands pressed into his eyes. I tried to make a joke "hey, I'll take it back, you know"
He just gently shook his head. I put one arm over his back and wrapped my other arm around his head. He removed his hand and learned into me being his face in my elbow and grabbing a fist full of my sleeve. I felt his hit tears running down my arm while he as usual flight to control his breathing, deep breaths never letting a sob out.
"It's ok" I told him. He said "its not ok. I can't support my family.don't tell me it's ok."  " I said that's not what I meant.I meant its ok for you to feel upset."
He stayed like that a while longer fighting to call himself.I turned into my back and he lay on my chest starting into space. I saw one year slowly form and make its was down his nose.I felt more from his other eye down into my top under him. After a while he sat up, not crying but looking miserable. He said he was going to try to go to sleep going it would make him feel better. I knew though that that's what he does when he is trying to escape his feelings.he tries to sleep them off. I waited a minute but he made no move to get ready for bed .he just started into space.
I wrapped him in a tight hug and instantly felt him fighting tears again. He held onto me tightly, his face in g the crook of my neck, forcing his breathing. Deep breath, hold, long exhale. I could feel the tension in his body and the shadows in his breath as he fought to maintain control.
I whispered in his ear "I've got you.let it go.just let it go" . Very much to my surprise, he did. For the first time, ever, he just held me and sobbed. Ifelt the tension in he back release as he gave in and stopped fighting for amoment. Icould feel warm dampness soaking into the shoulder of my blouse. I held him tightly, encouraging him to let it go. For about a minute and a half out two minutes he alternated between holding his breath as long as he could and giving into loud hacking sobs in my shoulder. I may have ruined it for him though because I didn't realize how tight I was holding him. suddenly he wiggled out of my arms saying " I need air" I had smooshed his face into me it seems. When he pulled away his eyes were swollen, his lashes were wet and he kept sniffing. I layed  on his chest for a while. Then we started to tease each other. We both have hair loss. I told him i would race him to see who goes badd first.he laughed.we both went to sleep.

This morning he took my hand as we left the house and said "thank you for last night." He was in a really calm mood this morning. I guess he needed a release. I'm glad he was able to open up, even if just for a couple of minutes.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

October 3, 2013 7:53 pm  #2

Re: another husband obs

Btw I apologize for the gibberish my autocorrect has put in their.didn't realize it till after I posted.

October 3, 2013 8:15 pm  #3

Wow, what a gorgeous observation. It must be so hard for men who feel they can't "provide" for their families. That seems to be a fairly common reason for men to cry. I think it's great that you were able to take that weight off his shoulders for a little while.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

October 3, 2013 8:17 pm  #4

And I'm not sure if you're located in the US, but if you are, here's hoping this stupid shutdown ends quickly without affecting your family.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

October 3, 2013 8:20 pm  #5

The shutdown isn't affecting us. Our financial issues are a result of my husband having undiagnosed learning disabilities which deterred him from going to college, the high cost of living in our area (moving isn't an option.e looked into it) , the cost of child support, and the fact that my husband had a dead end job.he very much wants to go into business for himself, but he hasn't been able to stand finding and find an opportunity.

October 3, 2013 10:07 pm  #6

You definitely did the right thing, inmyarms. Your emotional support will make your husband stronger.

October 3, 2013 10:14 pm  #7

Oh wow. This is wonderful; thank you so much for sharing it with us. You've described it so well, and I can perfectly imagine this scenario happening between my boyfriend and me. I'm sorry he's having a tough time, but I'm glad you're there to comfort him, and you guys seem like a good team. I'm sure he feels better and safer after being comforted, and I'm glad he was able to let go. Sometimes that's all it takes to feel a bit of relief from the stress. You did a perfect job of comforting him. I'm sure he's really grateful for your support.

October 3, 2013 10:18 pm  #8

I think a big part of it is him learning that he does not have to protect me from his feelings. If ever he got upset and that upset me or I worried his immediate reaction was " I shouldn't have told you. Now your upset.what's the point of both of us being upset"  .I realized that in these moments I really do have to be strong for him. He seems more willing to let his guard down when he's more sure that he's not gonna make me fall apart or even worry. That he can share his worries with me without being artist that they will keep me up at night.he has a very old fashioned view of himself as the provider and protector and feeling like he didn't protect me from his turmoil when he's already feeling inadequate seems to compound his sense of shame. It's so different than me. If he was all calm and cool and tough when I was upset, even if he said the right-hand I always felt that he didn't get it and I felt isolated. The first time he cries because I was upset I felt so loved and so validated. But if his pain makes me cry he shuts down and sucks it up like he had to protect me from it. So I have realized that when he needs to be vulnerable than I can't be. He needs to feel safe to let it out without worrying about me in the process and I think that has helped.

Last edited by inmyarms (October 3, 2013 10:22 pm)

October 3, 2013 10:21 pm  #9

Also, my BF does that thing as well where he tries to sleep off emotions. He's an emotional guy, but sometimes he doesn't like to deal with things that are making him too upset, so he translates it into needing to go to sleep. If he seems receptive, I'll try to encourage him to talk about it instead, which sometimes results in tears. He definitely feels better after talking or crying it out -- the sleep might help in the moment, but the pain or anxiety will always come back after a short time because he wasn't able to release it.

October 3, 2013 10:24 pm  #10

My Guyana is terrible at taking about things.he doesn't get the difference between sharing feelings and sharing information. For example . Me: what's wrong?
Him: I have no money
Me: tell me more about it.I see its really troubling you.
Him: I just told you.I don't have money. What are you asking me?

Board footera