You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2013 4:53 pm  #1

dragon dance

Today I was at a chinese congress. A chinese dragon dance was announced during lunch break. There was one of these huge drums, and a skinny little chinese started preparing to play this drum. First he just made some movements like he would hit the skin of the drum before he he did, really thatralic. When he finally hit the drum a gasp went through the rows of the audience. I could feel the deep sound of the drum through my body. It was like every hair was electrified. The dragon came from the nearby room, there were 7 men carrying the dragon on sticks, dancing up and down.
I know that I well up at weddings or other sentimental events, but this time I was hit from nowhere. I was standing in the middle of a lot of people all watching the dragon dancing through the room, taking pictures and making film of this fantastic event. Suddenly I felt a lump in my throat and BUM the tears were there. I started blinking fast to prevent the tears form running down my face. My breath was ragged and I could feel something like sobs inside my body, without producing any sound. It was something archaic that moved a string in my soul, that was not touched many times before.
I thought I write about some happy, or at least not sad tears. Don't know if it is religious or just the pure power of feeling something great, the music...

December 6, 2013 8:27 pm  #2

Re: dragon dance

fascinating! i wonder what would have produced it

Tears are the last gift of true love.

December 7, 2013 7:41 am  #3

Maybe it was because of my children. They like dragons, and as a mother you allways bother wether they are and will be happy, and the dragon promises happyness

December 7, 2013 5:45 pm  #4

It was a spiritual feeling, awe inspiring . this is so nice, the crying is a very good reaction to such a wonderfull event..

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

December 7, 2013 8:40 pm  #5

Aww flatter, I think it was spritual too, I sometimes get like this but with different things, nice observations, thanks for sharing them.

December 8, 2013 6:32 am  #6

I know what you mean. My best friend from high school was an extremely talented singer and actress, and I used to get a lump in my throat hearing her sing, just because it was so beautiful and I love her so much.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

December 16, 2013 9:45 pm  #7

Did any tears escape?

Sudden tears like these are wonderful - it can be nice to be grabbed by happy emotions all of a sudden. Tears don't always need to be about sad events.

I remember watching my daughter in a school play - I was so glad I was at the back of the hall because when she did a short solo I could not help but let a few happy/proud tears fall. I remember my wife and I smiling at each other as we both had a tear rolling down our face.

December 18, 2013 4:58 pm  #8

No tears rolling down my cheeks! I can hold back my tears by drinking something and it was during lunch break. A perfect way for me to hide the tears and feel the power of the emotion anyway. Sorry to disappoint you. Maybe I should become more easy about sheding some own tears, I am always astonished about your ease or your implicitness concerning this matter.

December 18, 2013 8:49 pm  #9

In a fairly safe environment I'm generally ok about shedding tears. I have to stop the crying feelings to stop the tears. When I start to cry and feel tears forming in my eyes they will continue to well up as long as the emotions are present with the ultimate result that eventully tears start to spill from my eyes.

I've tried looking up, blinking, closing my eyes to stop tears but none have really worked that well (never tried drinking!) - for a guy I appear to produce a lot of tears when I get upset. The general perception is that guys don't shed tears, wet eyes at most. I've read articles that state male tear ducts are larger so tears drain away quicker and don't spill down the cheeks.

I've seen a few males cry over the years and almost all have shed tears which have at least started to fall down the cheek (many male tears are dealt with pretty quickly - although I've seen a few survive to the chin). I've witnessed a few intense male crying moments with multiple tears falling unchecked so I don't know that the perception that guys don't shed tears is particular accurate.

For me if it's obvious I'm crying I don't mind the tears - it's just a part of the whole crying thing. If I was uncomfortable I'd want to stop all of the crying elements, not just the tears. This is something I learned from my wife - when she cries she generally lets her tears fall unchecked for the same reasons. I also think that when crying I shed just as many tears as she does!

I've also heard that by letting yourself cry and allowing your tears to flow unchecked down your face is benefical and helps you to experience the crying event more - which makes any positive aspects of crying more easily realised. I tend to agree with this - emotional tears are purging chemicals from the body - that's why if its a fairly safe place (don't get me wrong I don't like to cry in front of an audience or other males) then I will allow my tears to flow unchecked.

Sorry, long answer to a short question

December 19, 2013 12:01 pm  #10

I agree with you that also males cry with tears. Maybe you remember an observation I postet a few weeks ago about a man crying because of an early born child. That was about the max of tears I've ever witnessed in a man crying, especially somebody I don't know so well (by the way the baby is well, you can't tell if there are going to be problems afterwards, but for the moment he is ok). Usually it's just a few tears and they are wiped away very quickly
 Women are more willing to show their emotion and to let some tears fall down and not wipe them immediately.
By the way I have to concretise: I was drinking a glas of water!

Board footera