You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2014 3:40 pm  #1

Why do the lip curl in adults remain unnoticed by most people?

I've noticed this while trying to find descriptions of people crying with their lip curled.  About 90% of everything consists of doting mothers talking about how their babies look cute when they do it. Who cares??? (apart from other doting mothers). Others still talk about kids doing it in general. It's almost like they are totally unaware that adults do it too - a great number of them. Mentions of lips (when adults cry) consists of lip trembling, but not the actual thing where the lip sticks out or curls. I am geniunely puzzled by this. What stands out about the lip curl of children that is not apparent when adults do it? 

Ugly crying is pretty crying

March 25, 2014 3:56 pm  #2

Re: Why do the lip curl in adults remain unnoticed by most people?

Yours is a very specific fetish. It took me so long to even understand that you actually drew a distinction between a lip quiver and a lip curl and a lip bulge. To me they were one and the same. My wife does it, and I didn't even notice until you started asking about it. It's like describing a shade of a color. One person will call a color blue, and another person will draw a distinction between aquamarine and royal blue and sky blue etc.

People do notice it in adults. However, few people describe it because, unfortunately, it is widely regarded as ugly. Also, the word "crying" seems to be more closely associated with tears than with facial expression.

March 25, 2014 10:36 pm  #3

I guess adult people don't like to show a lip curl, because they think it is ugly, just like truffle said. They cover their mouth that you can't see it. I even remember my mom telling me to stop making this ugly face, must have been a lip curler as well as a kid. Children don't think about their look when they are crying up to a certain age. I think that is the reason why just children are described doing the lipcurl, because they show it more openly.

March 26, 2014 3:03 am  #4

I know personally that my focus is on the eyes rather than the lips.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

March 26, 2014 11:57 am  #5

What you call the lip curl and the perfect cry face like Claire Danes is known to the wider public as the ugly cry. That's probably why.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

March 26, 2014 8:05 pm  #6

truffle wrote:

Yours is a very specific fetish. It took me so long to even understand that you actually drew a distinction between a lip quiver and a lip curl and a lip bulge. To me they were one and the same. My wife does it, and I didn't even notice until you started asking about it. It's like describing a shade of a color. One person will call a color blue, and another person will draw a distinction between aquamarine and royal blue and sky blue etc.

People do notice it in adults. However, few people describe it because, unfortunately, it is widely regarded as ugly. Also, the word "crying" seems to be more closely associated with tears than with facial expression.

You're probably right about those reasons. There actually isn't a distinction between a lip curl or a lip bulge really. I sometimes call it a bulge if the lip is sticking out really big and hard. I do draw a distinction with a trembling lip, though.

March 26, 2014 8:07 pm  #7

I think in general people view their own crying as ugly. Or at least not very attractive, whether that crying includes a lip curl or just tears. People often say they wish they could do the "movie cry" - single perfect tears rolling down unblemished cheeks.

Crying for many involves tears, red swollen eyes, red nose, blotchy face, running or bunged up nose, distorted face, lip curl, emotional wobbly voice, sobbing or loud crying sounds and at times involuntary body movements such as shoulder shaking or whole body movements.

Most people don't like other people to see these crying characteristics. People will try and hide or disguise these characteristics by wiping tears away, blowing their nose and hide their face. Many people say they prefer to cry alone - even excluding partners and close friends. The primary reason is that they feel embarrased - and not because of the fact they are crying but because of how they look and the reaction of others. If you ask the question - 1-2-1 not in a group - "do you cry?" most will admit they cry sometimes. Almost every female will admit to crying and virtually every male will say something like - "well sometimes, not often".

Adults are more in control of their emotions and so to a degree can pick the times they cry. Or at least they can hold it to a level which enables them to escape to a safe place.

Of course some people are comfortable crying in front of others - more so if they are close to that person - I believe this is because they trust the person not to judge why they are crying or make fun of how they look when they are crying. But, even in these circumstances it's rare for someone to completely lose it and display their fully range of crying characteristics.

Our fetish is rare, and I think TorNorth your particular blend is even rarer still (not wrong by the way) - most think it is ugly and therefore will do there upmost to hide it - which means we never get to see that many extreme crying events and lip curling usually occurs in extreme crying events which people are unable to control.

I wish also that people would cry more in public but I think attitudes have to change quite a bit before it happens on a regular basis - a shame really.

Anyway just my thoughts...

Last edited by tearhunter (March 26, 2014 8:08 pm)

March 26, 2014 8:07 pm  #8

must have been a lip curler as well as a kid.

As I grew up, my personal observation tells me that anyone who was still a lip curler after 6 years of age, would always be a lip curler

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly positive that I'm not.

March 26, 2014 8:13 pm  #9

Our fetish is rare, and I think TorNorth your particular blend is even rarer still

Very true Sometimes I've wondered if this is dacryphilia at all, since most dacryphiliacs are into tears, comforting or sadomasochism (and a smaller mention for tissues). At times I've thought it's just a lip fetish. But crying has just too much to do with it for it to not be.

March 26, 2014 8:20 pm  #10

TorNorth wrote:

must have been a lip curler as well as a kid.

As I grew up, my personal observation tells me that anyone who was still a lip curler after 6 years of age, would always be a lip curler

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly positive that I'm not.

I think it's also parttly an intensity thing. My wife hardly ever does a lip curl when she cries - she will always at least get tears in her eyes with a wobbly emotional voice. A bit more intense and those tears will spill down her cheeks. I would estimate 90% - perhaps more of her crying events fit into these descriptions.

If she is very upset the tear flow increases - sometimes dramtically, the sounds of crying increase and if it's really full on uncontrollable crying her face will distort and her lip will bulge / curl.

I've seen this progression in a few people - of course because everyone is different people can reach this intensity quicker and more regularly than others.

Board footera