You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2014 3:13 pm  #1

Good Crying Scene in Novel

This is from the recent novel We Are Not Ourselves, by Matthew Thomas. It features a middle-aged couple who do not yet know the husband is suffering from early-onset Alzheimers.  The scene occurs at night in bed in the aftermath of a mental "episode" the husband has had.
"She felt the slight shaking of the bed but didn't register the sound as what it was until the shaking grew more forceful.  Ed was doing a good job of keeping it in, but the springs of the bed gave him away.  The sound of gasps followed.  She had trouble identifying it at first because she had formed an image in her mind of Ed as a man who didn't cry.  It wasn't macho posturing; he simply didn't shed tears, not even at his father's funeral.  
She turned slowly in the bed.  She was tentative with her body; there was no telling how he'd react if she touched him.  It wasn't impossible that he'd get violent, like an animal in a cage.  They were in a new territory, with new rules.  
She shifted closer to him.  When he didn't stir, she reached out to touch his shoulder, expecting him to slap her hand away; he let it rest there.  She gave the shoulder a consoling rub; he sobbed a little harder.  She pressed her whole body against his and he folded into its curve.  She brought her other arm up against him so that she was hugging him fully.  She found herself holding him to her as though he were a child.  She'd always resisted cradling him in such a manner, fearing it would diminish her attraction to him, but attraction was the last thing on her mind at the moment.  He sobbed as she held him, and she soothed him by making shushing sounds, long and slow and quiet, until he turned and sobbed into her nightgown.  
Within minutes he was sound asleep, the crying having exhausted him.  She lay awake until the alarm clock went off."  
                   I think it's kind of interesting that this was written by a man.  

Last edited by Squonk (November 3, 2014 3:21 pm)

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

November 5, 2014 6:32 pm  #2

Re: Good Crying Scene in Novel

The description is quite long! I remember beeing a teenager searching for crying scenes in books (internet didn't exist at that time), and most of the time it was just a sentence or two like "She couldn't hold back her tears anymore" as the last sentence of a chapter.

November 6, 2014 10:51 pm  #3

That's such a lovely writing... and yes, very interesting that it's written by a man.
I've always liked long description of crying scenes; I love how I can portray the scene in my head.

Thanks for sharing!

November 7, 2014 1:02 pm  #4

I remember there's a cathartic crying moment in Saul Bellow's novel ''Seize the Day'' exactly at the end of the book, i love this line alone '' He heard it and sank deeper than
sorrow, through torn sobs and cries toward the
consummation of his heart's ultimate need. ''
http://ptchanculto.binhoster.com/books/-Lit-%20Recommended%20Reading/Novellas/Saul_Bellow-Seize_the_Day.pdf

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

November 7, 2014 1:30 pm  #5

I used to read my sister's Sweet Valley books when I was a kid. There was always loads of female crying in those. Not very detailed though, they didn't really go beyond tears ran/streamed/trickled down (female character's) face/cheeks

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

July 15, 2016 3:54 am  #6

For those of you who like Sherlock Holmes there's an interesting scene in an old piece of Holmes "fanfiction" I came across.  The story is called "The Unique Hamlet," and it seems to be about an author whose manuscript was lost or stolen.  Holmes appears in rare comforting mode:

"For some years, now, I have been at work on my greatest book—my magnum opus. It was to be also my last book, embodying the results of a lifetime of study and research. Sir, I know Elizabethan London better than any man alive, better than any man who ever lived, I sometimes think —" He burst suddenly into tears.
"There, there," said Sherlock Holmes, gently. "Do not be distressed. It is my business to help people who are unhappy by reason of great losses. Be assured, I shall help you. Pray continue with your interesting narrative. What was this book — which, I take it, in some manner has disappeared? You borrowed it from your friend?"
"That is what I am coming to," said Mr. Harrington Edwards, drying his tears, "but as for help, Mr. Holmes, I fear that is beyond even you. Yet, as a court of last resort, I came to you, ignoring all intermediate agencies.

Last edited by White Tulip (July 16, 2016 1:41 am)

July 21, 2016 3:23 am  #7

God, that night crying scene is a huge fantasy of mine. It was written beautifully, and the fact that a man wrote it gives me hope about men's interest in being comforted by women.

Board footera