You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2015 8:01 pm  #1

Pernell Roberts: Bonanza

A very early and RARE example of a man crying on TV (1962).  And the hero of a western, no less!  
In this "Bonanza" episode, Pernell Roberts' character is held prisoner and tortured for two weeks by a psycho Lee Marvin.  He finally escapes, even tries to save his captor's life, and is found by his father and brothers.  Then he breaks down.  It's brief, but notable (and a good, intense episode).  Starts at about 45:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtRr1E4f7yU

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

September 3, 2015 9:46 pm  #2

Re: Pernell Roberts: Bonanza

I'm surprised there aren't more Michael Landon clips here. As I recall, he was quite a prolific crier!

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

September 3, 2015 9:56 pm  #3

Just about every other episode of "Little House on the Prairie" had Landon crying!  Too many to post.   For me, it was overkill.  
I don't really recall seeing him cry on "Bonanza."  I guess it was becoming more socially acceptable in the 70s, when "Little House" aired.  "Sensitive" men were the new thing.  (See also "MASH").  
But on an early 60s western?  That's why I thought the Roberts "Bonanza" clip was notable.  
It's funny, but in the "Little House" books much was made of how even little kids weren't supposed to cry.  Even a four-year-old girl got yelled at for being "too big to cry."  The adults certainly almost never cried, especially not the men.  Then Landon turns the series into a big tear-fest.  1870s meets 1970s.  

Last edited by Squonk (September 3, 2015 9:57 pm)

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

December 4, 2022 5:53 am  #4

The 1968 BONANZA episode "Mark of Guilt" features intense sobbing by Victor Sen-Yung as Hop Sing.  Michael Landon (Little Joe) comforts him.  The substantial scene starts around 9:07:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j41EQPoWqIQ&t=570s

Board footera