You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2019 11:45 am  #1

Classmate at college crying

New obs from last week. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I'm now in college (which is partly why I'm not as active as I was a few months ago). Last week, we had a very tough exam, and after the exam, I noticed that one of my female classmates seemed pretty distraught and her friend was trying to comfort her. I stood at a distance, pretending to look at my phone, but constantly glancing in their direction as this girl seemed like she was going to cry. This girl was speaking quite loudly, and her voice was shaking with emotion. She was wailing about how she was going to fail the exam and stuff like that (we actually have got our results back, and from what I hear, she's in the top 5 in the class, so she was overreacting way too much).

Her friend was trying to console her, and I kept watching, hoping to see some tears. And I wasn't disappointed. At one moment, she lifted her head up and turned around blankly staring ahead, and I could clearly see her eyes filled with tears. A tear bolted down her left cheek, which she wiped almost instantly, and another peeked out of her right eye, but she wiped it before it could go down her cheek. Her friend gave her a hug, and she didn't seem to care, she continued staring aimlessly, her tears now running freely because her hands were around her friend. She was also sobbing mildly, though not too loudly.

The hug lasted for about 30 seconds, during which I counted 3 tears down her left cheek and 2 down her right. All tears ran down the same path. Once she let go, she wiped her face with her hands, and started wiping her eyes directly. I heard her say something about crying, but didn't really hear as she'd calmed down a bit and wasn't shouting anymore. Then, she and her friend walked away (they actually walked right past me), and I saw her dabbing her eyes with her fingers as they walked past. It was a really nice and unexpected obs.

I'd like to finish with some questions to any college students on this forum, especially girls. Have you ever cried in college? What made you cry? (Please don't post if it's something serious and personal) Were there people around? Did you wipe your tears or let them flow freely? How did the people around react? Just asking out of curiosity.

Tears of joy are beautiful.

October 28, 2019 5:14 pm  #2

Re: Classmate at college crying

Beautiful obs, crying in public can be either a turn on or embarrasing. Interesting she wiped her first tears then Let them roll freely down her face. I can tell she felt more embarrased than comforted by her friend, as she did not show any comfort, instead stared blankly at the horizon. Congrats and I wish you success in this new stage of your life.

By the way, have you had more obs of your new friend?
Also, it's almost six months, your friend should arrive from overseas any day now.

October 29, 2019 12:27 am  #3

I love it. That's a really long hug.

I graduated 6 years ago, but I had an episode just like this during my freshman year. I was in class when another professor posted grades for a test in another class, and I found out I'd bombed harder than I'd ever bombed before. Instantly, silently started sobbing and buried my face in my arms on the desk. Nobody saw my tears. But yeah, I think I cried 3-4 times a month in college.

I'm a woman and I think women are beautiful when they cry.

October 29, 2019 4:53 am  #4

This is a nice surprise obs! I'm glad you got to bear witness to it.

I cried a LOT in college, honestly. Not only was it just stressful from an academic perspective, but I had a lot of personal things happen that really affected my mental health during those four years. That was when I was in an abusive relationship, and I was crying constantly because of how she treated me. However, it was that that made me finally get proper help for my mental health, and I've been on antidepressants ever since!

October 29, 2019 9:14 am  #5

truffle wrote:

I graduated 6 years ago, but I had an episode just like this during my freshman year. I was in class when another professor posted grades for a test in another class, and I found out I'd bombed harder than I'd ever bombed before. Instantly, silently started sobbing and buried my face in my arms on the desk. Nobody saw my tears. But yeah, I think I cried 3-4 times a month in college.

Wow, I didn't expect you to cry in public that often, did you feel comfortable crying in front of someone back then?

October 30, 2019 1:21 am  #6

Amans lacrimae wrote:

truffle wrote:

Wow, I didn't expect you to cry in public that often, did you feel comfortable crying in front of someone back then?

Haha no, I cried in public maybe once per semester, most of it happened in my dorm room on campus. Obviously I wasn't comfortable crying in front of complete strangers. But friends? ALL the time.

October 31, 2019 6:25 am  #7

truffle wrote:

Haha no, I cried in public maybe once per semester, most of it happened in my dorm room on campus. Obviously I wasn't comfortable crying in front of complete strangers. But friends? ALL the time.

Well, I wouldn't say obviously, my wife has no problem crying in public, she even allows tears to roll down her cheeks, she wipes them at cheek level. She actually did so a week ago.

October 31, 2019 2:48 pm  #8

Amans lacrimae wrote:

Well, I wouldn't say obviously, my wife has no problem crying in public, she even allows tears to roll down her cheeks, she wipes them at cheek level. She actually did so a week ago.

Sorry you’re right, I shouldn’t say “obviously.” I do still get self-conscious about it sometimes, especially if I cry unexpectedly and accidentally make other people feel uncomfortable. I had an experience like that recently. I don’t like bothering people or making them worry.

Looking forward to more possible exam-day tears from your class, Johnstonwalker. Some people continue to cry over exams through grad school and beyond.

October 31, 2019 3:12 pm  #9

truffle wrote:

Sorry you’re right, I shouldn’t say “obviously.” I do still get self-conscious about it sometimes, especially if I cry unexpectedly and accidentally make other people feel uncomfortable. I had an experience like that recently. I don’t like bothering people or making them worry.

Looking forward to more possible exam-day tears from your class, Johnstonwalker. Some people continue to cry over exams through grad school and beyond.

Mind sharing? How did the other people react, what made you feel uncomfortable?

Board footera