You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2019 6:25 am  #1

Crying scene in friend's short film project

Hi everyone. I've been busy lately, that's why I haven't been posting much. I have a few obs to share, but don't have much time now, so I'll post this one for now as it was a unique experience for me. I have a friend doing an arts degree, majoring in film production. As part of his course, he had to do a short film and asked me to be an extra. I agreed, least expecting that I'd get to witness multiple takes of a nice, long, crying scene by a lovely girl first hand. I was standing quite close to the girl the whole time, and it was a great obs.

Before filming the scene, my friend told the girl that he wanted her to cry, that he wanted to see actual tears and not just sobbing with a sad face as she had some dialogue to deliver, so he wanted the crying to be more visual without interfering with her lines. She then took some time to get herself into an emotional state and her eyes began to water. My friend then started filming. The actress delivered her lines reasonably well, and her eyes remained filled with tears. In about a minute, my friend stopped filming because no tears actually ran down her cheeks and she didn't seem sad enough. After he stopped filming, she blinked, sending a tear running down her right cheek, which she wiped with her fingers. She was given a bit more time to get really emotional so that she could produce more tears, and she also drank some water before the next take. It was take 2, and her eyes were again filled with tears. This time, a tear fell out of her right eye, and then another ran down her left cheek. I was just standing there in awe and disbelief, as another tear rolled down her face, this time from her right eye. The scene was going well, but this time there was a blooper as she forgot her lines midway through, and there had to be a cut. Everyone on the set started laughing, including the actress, with tears still in her eyes and on her face, which made it all the more beautiful to watch. She closed her eyes again and a couple more tears ran down her face, which she wiped, this time with a tissue she'd grabbed. She drank more water, and started preparing for the next take, which sadly for me turned out to be the last one. Once she was sufficiently emotional and her eyes were watery, the filming started again, and this time, she breezed through the scene. The whole scene lasted about 2.5 minutes, and I counted a total of 11 tears down both her cheeks combined. Once the scene was over, she smiled as everyone appreciated her performance, her face still wet with tears. One of the other girls on the set went and gave her a hug, and I saw another tear run down her nose from her right eye, and then she turned away and I couldn't see any more tears, though I saw her wiping her tears.

It was such an unexpected and amazing obs. Makes me envious of my friend and wish I'd chosen film production as my major. I'd have just made every film project one huge crying scene, or a combination of several crying scenes.

Tears of joy are beautiful.

December 3, 2019 11:25 am  #2

Re: Crying scene in friend's short film project

Very nice! I love behind the scenes stories. I'd love to see that clip. Did she actually do any sobbing? Was there a lip curl?

Ugly crying is pretty crying

December 3, 2019 3:24 pm  #3

Beautiful obs, is that for small screen, will it broadcast?

December 4, 2019 12:07 pm  #4

@TorNorth She didn't really sob. I'd say there was a mild lip curl occasionally when she'd deliver an emotional line of dialogue.

@Amans lacrimae It was just for a classroom project. He might post it on his YouTube, but I'll definitely not share that for privacy reasons. Who knows, if he does post it, one of us may find it and post it here!

Tears of joy are beautiful.

Board footera