You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2021 9:33 am  #1

Tears in video games and CGI

Video game graphics have been improving greatly, and in the last few years, we've had games with some pretty decent depiction of tears, and as far as I know, no game has captured the physics of tears as nicely as The Last of Us 2. Look at this video, the way her tears fall on her shirt at around 8:15 is so close to realism (it's still graphics, but very good graphics). And then at around 18:15, her tear-filled eyes are also so realistic. The whole video has several tearful scenes, but these two are the most realistic (the scene at around 7:30 also shows a beautiful tear streak on her left cheek).

https://youtu.be/ss37dKbl4PY (beware spoilers)

Other games that have done a reasonable job of portraying tears in recent times are Death Stranding (which has some pretty good tears graphics, though not as realistic as TLOU2) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (once scene where Lara Croft has tears on both cheeks, again, not as realistic, but still good). A slightly older game that had okay tears graphics (especially for its time) is Beyond Two Souls. I also remember some tears from the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but not as realistic (mainly due to the art style of the game).

What do you think about the tears in TLOU2 and the other games mentioned? What do you think about tears in games/CGI in general? Do you know of other games with a reasonable depiction of tears (visually)? Curious to hear people's thoughts.

May 13, 2021 11:06 am  #2

Re: Tears in video games and CGI

I was thinking of doing supercut videos from games eventually - Death Stranding definitely has enough for one, it’s quite the tear-fest.

There is always that element of uncanny valley but it’s certainly something that’s been getting better recently, especially in The Last of Us 2. I’m interested to see if they try to recreate those scenes in the live action TV series. Speaking of live action there’s an FMV game called Erica with a few decent crying scenes.

All of Quantic Dream’s games (you mentioned Beyond Two Souls) also come to mind as depicting crying scenes quite frequently, although Heavy Rain is pretty awkward to look at now. I think Detroit: Become Human also has quite a few depending on the choices you make. That leads onto a whole other fascinating question of when playing through an interactive story with different paths, would you ever intentionally choose the path with the most crying scenes? I’ve never really thought about it, as those tend to be the most depressing / failure paths and I prefer to go with what I feel is the most natural way for the story to develop.

May 13, 2021 1:26 pm  #3

Death Stranding has reasonable tears down the cheeks, my main issue is you can't really see tears fill the eyes of the characters and fall or drip off the chin like in TLOU2. There are scenes, especially with the Mama character and this other girl you reunite with her boyfriend, where you can pause to admire the tear stained cheeks, but I still would say Ellie's tears in TLOU2 are more realistic.

I remembered Heavy Rain and didn't care to include it as the graphics are a bit outdated by modern standards. I need to check out Detroit: Become Human, I have seen some YouTube videos showing some emotional faces and damp-ish eyes, didn't seem convincing enough to check out.

Need to check out Erica. FMV's are interesting as technically, it's not graphics but actual footage, but I'll take it, real tears are better than graphics anyway. Speaking of which, there's this FMV called the Complex that has a few crying scenes with unchecked tears from the female lead and at least one other female character.

To answer your question about choices in games, since I mostly watch play throughs on YouTube rather than actually playing games, I'm not sure, but when I do play, I generally play naturally and get whatever ending I get, and if I want a crying scene, I'll just look it up on YouTube (plus on YouTube I can find 4K footage at max settings, compared to the usually low res, medium settings I can run most modern games in on my computer, so any tears are going to look much better on a YouTube video than on my computer).

Also, disregarding realism in graphics, games like Life is Strange and Telltale's Walking Dead have some crying scenes. And there's this RPG I used to play as a kid, I believe it's Avernum 3, which is sort of a text-based RPG, which has a few descriptions (I remember one at the start of the game, I think there were others) of your characters (and possibly other characters) crying.

May 30, 2021 5:03 am  #4

OnlyTears wrote:

I was thinking of doing supercut videos from games eventually - Death Stranding definitely has enough for one, it’s quite the tear-fest.

There is always that element of uncanny valley but it’s certainly something that’s been getting better recently, especially in The Last of Us 2. I’m interested to see if they try to recreate those scenes in the live action TV series. Speaking of live action there’s an FMV game called Erica with a few decent crying scenes.

All of Quantic Dream’s games (you mentioned Beyond Two Souls) also come to mind as depicting crying scenes quite frequently, although Heavy Rain is pretty awkward to look at now. I think Detroit: Become Human also has quite a few depending on the choices you make. That leads onto a whole other fascinating question of when playing through an interactive story with different paths, would you ever intentionally choose the path with the most crying scenes? I’ve never really thought about it, as those tend to be the most depressing / failure paths and I prefer to go with what I feel is the most natural way for the story to develop.

I recently watched Erica, not a big fan, but you're right, there were a few decent crying scenes. Do you know of any other FMVs with crying?

June 11, 2021 2:01 am  #5

https://youtu.be/EvHkd9UA0sM?t=74

Reject Miranda in Mass Effect 3 and you're treated to this scene. 

I'm a woman and I think women are beautiful when they cry.

June 11, 2021 5:20 am  #6

truffle wrote:

https://youtu.be/EvHkd9UA0sM?t=74

Reject Miranda in Mass Effect 3 and you're treated to this scene. 

I love her face completely covered in tears.

June 15, 2021 10:52 pm  #7

“To weep is to make less the depth of grief.”
― William Shakespeare

Board footera