You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2011 8:19 pm  #1

Tissues vs Hankys?

Hello All,
I myself am a tissue user I was wondering which you guys prefer? Tissues vs hankys? I like the tissue because you can just throw it away after you use them to blow your nose. Hanky's I don't like the thought of washing them makes me shudder unless thats just me. If I have a cold I still use tissues because hankys can make my nose rather sore and rudoph red lol, tissues don't. I also like the 3ply tissues by kleenex there in my bathroom and bedroom. What about you guys?

Last edited by raindance85 (December 15, 2011 8:25 pm)

December 16, 2011 4:30 am  #2

Re: Tissues vs Hankys?

Glad someone started this thread, I was just thinking about asking the same question. 

I lean towards liking hankies more than tissues most of the time.  I find it so adorable when a man carries a hankie around.  Maybe it's all the movies I've seen where a woman starts to cry and the man offers her his handkerchief.  It's just so much more personal than giving someone a tissue, as least to me.  Maybe it's because I like that hankies are available in a lot of different colors and patterns, and that many of them are larger and thicker than tissues, and can thus be used for longer, heaver crying spells.  Maybe I just like that they seem more environmentally friendly than tissues, since you don't usually cut down trees to make hankies, and since they can be reused many times over after a good washing.

I myself am an occasional hankie user, but on occasion I will use tissues as well.  I own around 2 dozen hankies, in a variety of patterns and colors, made out of all kinds of fabric.  Some of them aren't as soft as tissues (certain kinds of linens are less easy on the nose), but I have a large number of hankies that are just as soft, if not more so than tissues.  There are some nice hankies made out of soft cotton, flannel, and even bamboo that are all very gentle on the nose.  Washing them can be a pain at times, but with a little elbow grease, all the stains usually come out with ease.

I do like using tissues sometimes, especially when I have a bad cold, because then I don't have to worry about having to wash the nasty stuff that comes out of my nose out of it.

January 10, 2012 2:57 pm  #3

i have grown up using hankies all my life and i dont think anything would ever change that.  I have enjoyed on ocassion hading a clean hanky to a female in need over the years

April 29, 2012 5:35 pm  #4

i use tissues if i have a cold..

but when my hayfever is severe like it is most of the time, then i tend to use a hanky.

there was once was a wise old saying...

October 4, 2013 12:41 am  #5

Tissues at home for everything. Use and then throw away. If I have a cold I might carry a pack of tissues in my bag. But normally, when I'm not likely to have to blow my nose, I just have a handkerchief when I'm out and about. When I'm out of my home, I always have trouble finding a place to throw tissues away, and it feels nasty to keep a used tissue in my bag or coat pocket. So I prefer a handkerchief.

October 4, 2013 12:59 am  #6

I love when men carry hankies, but in real life prefer tissues - no laundry needed!

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 19, 2016 7:50 pm  #7

I'm a woman in my thirties.  I don't use handkerchiefs myself (though I am considering starting), but I have always had a "thing" for men carrying them.  I will never forget the moment a few years ago when I saw my favorite male opera singer, after finishing a powerful aria in a recital, take a handkerchief from the inside pocket of his dinner jacket, gently dab some perspiration from his face, and then return his handkerchief to said pocket.  I thought I was going to faint.  And ever since then, I've particularly loved it when men carry their handkerchiefs in that exact place -- the interior pocket of the jacket or coat.  Don't ask me why...I just find it elegant somehow.  

Last edited by White Tulip (February 21, 2016 11:51 pm)

February 25, 2016 4:15 am  #8

I've recently started carrying a handkerchief. I own a few, one came as a free gift with something I bought on Etsy and a few others were gifted to me by a friend who collects vintage hankies and likes giving them for occasions. I guess I'm not weirded out by them like most people. If I blow my nose in one, that just means it goes in the hamper at the end of the day and not back in my purse.

If I have a runny nose it's helpful because I can have something in my pocket to pull out and wipe my nose with all day that doesn't feel gross like carrying around a crumpled tissue. And I really like crying on them. I feel instantly comforted, even if I'm by myself. Magic I tell you!

But is carrying one a normal thing these days? Maybe it's my age (23) but I've never seen anyone but old men use them. I also live in LA, so maybe it's my part of the country/world. I seem to hear people from the UK talk about them like they're a more common thing. I'm genuinely curious. Is it still commonplace anywhere?

Board footera