You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2012 8:22 am  #1

Where do you think your fetish came from?

I'm not sure if there is another topic floating around that speculates on this subject...if there is, mods please feel free to move this post as you see fit.  Lately I've been thinking/reflecting on a lot of my earlier years, and it made me wonder if there were specific incidents/aspects of people's childhood that may relate to the fetish, and perhaps may even have been the cause of the fetish.  In my case, this involves a lot of emotional vomiting about my own childhood issues...I hope people don't mind my bearing my soul on a public forum.  I feel a little weird about this, but I'd like to get it all out.

In my case, I've had a crying fetish for about as long as I can remember...I remember feeling warm and tingly all over when I saw cartoon characters, friends, and even family members crying (though since puberty I've developed a distaste for seeing relatives cry, but I try not to let on I'm uncomfortable with their tears).  I also remember feeling uncomfortable about seeing others cry and about my own crying when I was around other people...I guess I was worried they might notice my interest.

I've often thought that perhaps my upbringing has something to do with my interest in crying and emotional vulnerability.  I was raised in a home which was often emotionally unpredictable and occasionally even hostile - my mother, who I'm now convinced suffered from an undiagnosed mental illness of some sort, was frequently emotionally abusive and occasionally physically abusive.  Emotional and physically vulnerability was generally perceived by her as weakness...if she was already in a rage, she might hit me, make fun of me, or yell at me for crying.  She didn't like crying herself much either, but she would occasionally cry in front of us.  She also didn't like it if anyone got angry or disagreed with her about anything...but rage wasn't ridiculed or punished in the same manner that tears were.  To top it off, I was often socially isolated from other children besides my siblings...she would say she "needed" me at home. *eyeroll*  I'm the oldest in a family of four kids, and she depended on me the most.  She would talk and gossip to me as if I was one of her peers, and I was constantly expected to babysit the other kids and take care of the house.  She got very sick when I was eleven years old, and during her illness she only got harder to deal with.  She died when I was fifteen, and while I was sad about it, I also felt a sense of freedom, even relief.  She wasn't all bad, she taught me mostly good morals and we did fun things together...but my home was often a difficult and restrictive environment thanks to her psychological and emotional issues.

My father, who only knew about some of the abuse (and tuned out the rest) took care of us physically, but emotionally he has always been rather detached, to the point where I've wondered if he might have mild Aspergers or Autism.  He seems to live in his own little world about 90% of the time.  These days my dad and I have mostly patched everything up, and I feel like I understand him a little better, although I'm still working on forgiving him completely for not intervening enough and not trying harder to get my mother the professional help she needed while she was alive.

Anyways.  I think in my case, having a crying fetish makes total sense...my other fetish, sneezing, is similar in that it also involves a loss of control.  Crying in particular was seen as something almost taboo in our house...just as you weren't supposed to masturbate or take off your clothing unless you were alone, you weren't supposed to weep in public (except maybe if you were at a funeral or had another really good excuse).  I often felt lonely, and isolated as a kid, and I often wanted someone who would listen to me and care for me in a non-judgemental manner, especially when I was crying.  Sometimes my mother and father would try to comfort me when I was upset, but due to their lack of support of me in other circumstances, I always felt like something was lacking. I've always, for as long as I can remember, dreamed of having a partner who was willing to be emotionally open and share his feelings with me...especially his tears.  I was (and still am) an extremely emotional person with a few deep-seated issues to be worked through, and I truly love the idea of being the strong one in a couple, at least for a while, comforting and caring for someone in the way I've always wished someone would care about me.

So what about all of you?  Comments/thoughts?  Personal stories?

Last edited by thedreamer (May 19, 2012 8:24 am)

May 20, 2012 1:18 am  #2

Re: Where do you think your fetish came from?

This is really interesting to me, for several reasons.

My fetish developed when I was really young, like elementary school, as did my sneezing fetish, and the rest of my story is kind of similar to yours as well. I'm still in high school, but about five years ago my mother was diagnosed with a mental illness (a strange one that they can't really treat, but that is mostly paranoia and depression and probably not, we hope, paranoid schizophrenic). I've since been told that she exhibited signs of mental illness when I was younger as well, but it was more so depression then, triggered apparently by my father's (alleged - I kinda refuse to believe it) abuse of her, and it was only in the past few years that she began staying in hospitals and taking medication for the paranoia, etc.

Now, my dad's great - he's always there for me as much as he can be - but the fact of the matter is that he cares about me much more than he cares about my mother - they were separated years ago - and there's only so much he can do. Plus, though we've gotten closer in the past year or two, they split up when I was very young, and I've never really lived with him. I don't know him too well.

Anyway. I don't have siblings, and I also have a pretty hard time at school, being bullied or whatever (wow, sorry, I don't mean this post to sound so self-pitying), and so there were/are it plenty of times where I felt very, very alone. I'm an only child, very few of my friends knew what I had to deal with until recently, etc.  So even though the fetish existed before I was consciously aware of my mother's issue, I wonder if they're connected. Because now it occurs to me that there were plenty of times I ran crying to my room and wanted, desperately, someone to comfort me, like in books (and incidentally, before I obsessively read fanfiction where the guy cries, I read fanfiction where the guy comforts the crying girl),  and then somewhere along the line, the focus shifted. I don't know.

Sometimes I wonder how much the fetish plays into all of this though, mainly because I'm really embarrassed about crying in front my parents/seeing them crying. I mean they always comfort me or whatever when actually do see me upset, but most of the time I avoid them seeing it. Like I remember when I was four years old, my parents told me they were getting divorced and I pretended to be happy about it. I wonder if, even then, it made me uncomfortable to be upset in front of them. I can't tell. (he funny thing is, I used to think it was only relatives that made me uncomfortable about crying, but that turns out it's not true. While I'd obviously be happy to comfort them, and lucky me (not really though, they're mostly girls) am known as the 'shoulder to cry on' by virtually all of them, there was one time where I almost started crying in front of them last year, and when they tried to hug me, I RAN. I always thought that being comforted would be something I'd appreciate, but for whatever reason running was my instinctive reaction.

I can never decide if I'd want to be the strong person in a relationship or not. On the one hand, it appeals to me, and I like it when I get to be someone's emotional rock in that way, and I like to be needed, and to be confided in, but at the same time, I kind of like the idea of having a really strong guy to lean on. Plus, if he's strong and/or happy most of the time, then it makes it even more special when he does break down. Incidentally, in the one relationship I've ever had, I never saw him cry - but he did tell me about songs that made him cry, and I debated seriously buying them and playing them for him when he listened to my ipod.

Last edited by PaperThings (May 20, 2012 1:19 am)

May 20, 2012 6:38 am  #3

PaperThings wrote:

This is really interesting to me, for several reasons.

My fetish developed when I was really young, like elementary school, as did my sneezing fetish, and the rest of my story is kind of similar to yours as well. I'm still in high school, but about five years ago my mother was diagnosed with a mental illness (a strange one that they can't really treat, but that is mostly paranoia and depression and probably not, we hope, paranoid schizophrenic). I've since been told that she exhibited signs of mental illness when I was younger as well, but it was more so depression then, triggered apparently by my father's (alleged - I kinda refuse to believe it) abuse of her, and it was only in the past few years that she began staying in hospitals and taking medication for the paranoia, etc.

Now, my dad's great - he's always there for me as much as he can be - but the fact of the matter is that he cares about me much more than he cares about my mother - they were separated years ago - and there's only so much he can do. Plus, though we've gotten closer in the past year or two, they split up when I was very young, and I've never really lived with him. I don't know him too well.

Anyway. I don't have siblings, and I also have a pretty hard time at school, being bullied or whatever (wow, sorry, I don't mean this post to sound so self-pitying), and so there were/are it plenty of times where I felt very, very alone. I'm an only child, very few of my friends knew what I had to deal with until recently, etc.  So even though the fetish existed before I was consciously aware of my mother's issue, I wonder if they're connected. Because now it occurs to me that there were plenty of times I ran crying to my room and wanted, desperately, someone to comfort me, like in books (and incidentally, before I obsessively read fanfiction where the guy cries, I read fanfiction where the guy comforts the crying girl),  and then somewhere along the line, the focus shifted. I don't know.

Sometimes I wonder how much the fetish plays into all of this though, mainly because I'm really embarrassed about crying in front my parents/seeing them crying. I mean they always comfort me or whatever when actually do see me upset, but most of the time I avoid them seeing it. Like I remember when I was four years old, my parents told me they were getting divorced and I pretended to be happy about it. I wonder if, even then, it made me uncomfortable to be upset in front of them. I can't tell. (he funny thing is, I used to think it was only relatives that made me uncomfortable about crying, but that turns out it's not true. While I'd obviously be happy to comfort them, and lucky me (not really though, they're mostly girls) am known as the 'shoulder to cry on' by virtually all of them, there was one time where I almost started crying in front of them last year, and when they tried to hug me, I RAN. I always thought that being comforted would be something I'd appreciate, but for whatever reason running was my instinctive reaction.

I can never decide if I'd want to be the strong person in a relationship or not. On the one hand, it appeals to me, and I like it when I get to be someone's emotional rock in that way, and I like to be needed, and to be confided in, but at the same time, I kind of like the idea of having a really strong guy to lean on. Plus, if he's strong and/or happy most of the time, then it makes it even more special when he does break down. Incidentally, in the one relationship I've ever had, I never saw him cry - but he did tell me about songs that made him cry, and I debated seriously buying them and playing them for him when he listened to my ipod.

Paperthings, don't worry about sounding too self-pitying in your post...it didn't come across that way to me at all.  It is what it is (which is a saying I normally hate, but it seems to fit here).  No one's life is perfect, and since we're discussing how personal issues might relate to our fetish, it makes sense that you'd bring up a bunch of personal issues.  Thanks for taking the time to share.  I was a little worried no one would want to reply to such a personal topic. 

I'm sorry to hear that you've also felt so lonely at times, and I hope you can find the time and good supportive people to take care of/prioritize you...that's extremely important when your home environment is unpredictable.  Maybe you might be less uncomfortable with the idea of friends/loved ones caring for you once you've had more practice with sharing your feelings and having positive/loving reactions to your emotions?  I used to be quite embarrassed and uncomfortable when sharing my deepest thoughts and feeling with other people...it took some practice for me to accept (and sometimes, even enjoy) being comforted and nurtured by anyone, in part because I had so many hangups about trusting people.

Oh, and I totally agree with what you said about also wanting a strong guy to lean on - I'm all for that.  What I'd really like is someone who isn't codependent, but rather willing to care for me and comfort me when I need to break down or vent or whatever, and someone who's not afraid to do likewise in front of me when he really feels the need.  I want someone who's sensitive, but of course I also want the people I care about to be happy and mostly well-adjusted. 

Last edited by thedreamer (May 20, 2012 6:39 am)

May 21, 2012 1:19 am  #4

First, just wanted to say to TheDreamer and PaperThings how sorry I am to hear about the difficulties you've had to deal with.

I love when people are open on the forum and I'm not shy about sharing, but I didn't answer right away because I don't really have an interesting answer!  I  don't know where my own fetishes came from.  I don't think they had much to do with my upbringing, per se.  I figure exposure to the highly dramatic, exaggerated type of sneezing found in cartoons started my sneeze fetish, but most kids are exposed to the same thing and they don't go on to develop a sneeze fetish.  There is nothing special I can pinpoint about my childhood that relates to sneezing or an interest in witnessing a sudden lack of control in others (although fetishes that are about control in one form or another are relatively common in the fetish world, it seems... perhaps it's just a natural predisposition?)

As for the crying fetish, I was raised with pretty average attitudes towards crying and comforting.  While I preferred to hide my crying from others, I figure that's a pretty normal thing to do.  I felt sufficiently comforted whenever I needed it, so I don't know what could have predisposed me for a crying/comforting fetish (other than some of the physical similarities crying shared with my already established sneeze fetish).  HOWEVER, I do think the reason it has become more of an OBSESSION over the last few years is that my husband does not share that sort of intimacy with me, so I simply crave what I lack.  If I was getting this sort of intimacy on a regular basis, who knows, maybe I wouldn't even be here... I would still have the fetish for sure, but maybe it would be satisfied enough naturally that I wouldn't be driven to get on a forum and discuss it, you know?  Hard to know.  Don't get me wrong, he is emotionally intimate for sure (if not, it wouldn't be much of a marriage!), but he is not the crying type.  He just isn't wired that way.  He thinks crying feels bad and doesn't like it.  Not sure how much is due to upbringing and how much is just him.  I don't know how often the average man cries in a happy relationship, but I know there are men out there who go years and years without crying, so he's not the only one.  There are even chats about this sort of thing found online and both women and men seem to have opinions on when it is appropriate and inappropriate for a man to cry... many people feel that, in a man's case, the crying has to happen for a "socially acceptable" reason to be OK (such as a funeral or birth of a child).  Although others will disagree loudly... obviously there is a divide on this issue in our society!!  Being on this forum, you can imagine which side I take on the issue.

But that is off-topic from this thread!!  Short answer is, my best guess has been that my fetish just comes from the way my brain is wired (a type of  hard wiring present at birth, possibly), but I really don't know.

May 21, 2012 3:28 am  #5

It took me a while to respond to this because the first couple posts were so personal and so compelling. I really admire you guys for talking about your difficulties like this. I really don't know where my fetish came from. My mom suffered from depression and was in and out of the hospital for a couple years when I was in elementary school, but the fascination with crying predates that. Actually, pretty much my whole family suffers from depression, more or less severely. I lost my favorite uncle to suicide in January, and he always seemed like the really strong, put-together one up until a couple months before he died. Now I'm really worried about my mom, because of course she took her brother's death really hard. She was the one who found him. I'm worried she might have PTSD. (Haven't told anyone that last part. Feels good to say it.)

Anyway, none of this really has much to do with my fetish, but since we were talking about problems...

PaperThings wrote:

I can never decide if I'd want to be the strong person in a relationship or not. On the one hand, it appeals to me, and I like it when I get to be someone's emotional rock in that way, and I like to be needed, and to be confided in, but at the same time, I kind of like the idea of having a really strong guy to lean on.

You can have both

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

May 21, 2012 11:53 pm  #6

Wow. Some very personal stuff here - *hugs* for you guys for sharing. I don't know where my fetish came from; my family is very stable, I never had any real issues when growing up, and I was never exposed to unhealthy attitudes about crying. I do know that one early memory I have, when I was probably about four, i of seeing my mum crying on the phone to someone. I don't remember how I felt, but I imagine at that age I would have been scared, and I do think that my fetish is linked to fear - I was uncomfortable with crying for many years, though it fascinated me. I have read that fetishes and phobias are quite closely linked, being similar, so I do wonder if the fact that I have held on to that memory means that it had an impact on me, making me fear and then later be aroused by tears.

Board footera