You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2012 12:47 am  #11

Re: Cool Show In NYC

I know of a play called "Shadowlands", it's about C.S. Lewis and his wife, Joy Gresham.  There's a scene where (SPOILER ALERT) after Joy has died, Mr. Lewis is talking to his stepson about the boy's mom, and breaks down and sobs.  In the movie, C.S. Lewis was played by Anthony Hopkins.  Fairly good scene, but I vaguely remember that there were no real tears, just acted crying.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

August 26, 2012 4:09 am  #12

@PaperThings -- I look forward to seeing what you come up with!!
@caircair -- Thanks for the tip!  That's great to know!

When there are a few plays listed in the resource, I can see if there's anything useful I can contribute, even if just googling some theater critic's reviews to see what they say (which could be useful).  Other than that, I honestly don't know what to suggest.  I have mostly watched musicals... what I seem to remember about them the most is the music, but for a crying obs, to make it as close to "real life" as possible, nothing beats an intimate play with just a few actors and their real, raw emotions and lots of silence too so you can focus on feeling it (no suddenly breaking into song with a dancing chorus, lol!)  Having said that, musicals are fine too... it's really about the scene itself, I guess.  And getting front row seats.

September 9, 2012 12:42 am  #13

Okay, well one I thought of (ahh I have such a bad memory for these things!) is On the Town. If I recall, there was both male and female crying in it (plus the entire theater, including all the guys, were in tears.... minus my friend and I, which was awkward)

I'm about to read a play for one of my classes, so if there's anything noteworthy I'll make a post. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to mostly record ones from shows I see from now on, because my memory honestly sucks (which means, I think, that I've never seen any truly GREAT crying scene other than in Death of a Salesman, because surely it would have stuck with me.) Question - should I bother recording small-time plays that probably won't be put on elsewhere other than in NYC because they're not well known and off-off-off Broadway?

September 9, 2012 4:11 am  #14

In my opinion, yes, I would not bother with plays that are unlikely to be seen anywhere but NYC (unless we get more New Yorkers speaking up on the forum... hello, anyone else out there?  Speak up now, or forever hold your peace!) 

Well, but if it's an exceptionally great crying scene, definitely include it as an obs, anyway!  I know I'd enjoy reading about it!!

September 11, 2012 1:51 am  #15

More info than I usually like to put out there, but I attend college a couple hours away from NYC. I get depressed when there aren't enough trees around, so I usually avoid the city, but I'm in the area

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

Board footera