You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2012 12:53 am  #1

Also, am I allowed to talk about the non-BDSM parts

of Fifty Shades of Grey?

I just finished two of the books, and what I really found arousing about them was not the BDSM parts... it was the fact that the main character is so incredibly screwed up, so emotionally scarred, but he's able to find solace in this woman he's met. He tells her all of his darkest secrets, which he's never done with any other person, but it takes her almost two books to get him to open up. He mentions earlier that he's never cried, EVER. But in the second book, he finally lets down his guard, tells her about his past, and lets himself cry. It was SO HOT... the fact that he's in such pain, but she's able to help him through it, and she loves to comfort him. She loves to hold him and caress him and help him better understand his emotional pain so that he can overcome it. That really gets me.

TorNorth, let me know if you think this treads the BDSM line and isn't right for this forum.

September 16, 2012 2:39 am  #2

Re: Also, am I allowed to talk about the non-BDSM parts

Sounds like the perfect story, wow.

September 16, 2012 2:54 am  #3

I know. The actual sex scenes in the book are kind of erotic, but they get old fast (plus, the writing is pretty bad and repetitive). The reason I enjoyed the book was because of the central theme of the man's troubled past and his still ever-present personal demons. I can't help but suspect that many women who read the book find that part erotic, even if they don't have a specific crying fetish... so maybe our fascination with hidden, dark emotions and the intimate revealing of them (to the man's one and only trusted partner) is more prevalent than we realize!

September 16, 2012 1:58 pm  #4

Yeah, I've always suspected that many women have some sort of fascination with that, but it seems to be at a level that they don't consider it a fetish.  It's kind of more like an erotic bait, I think... it lures them in, but once hooked, they want to pursue what they're really interested in, which I guess is the more regular sexual interests.  Whereas for me, it's exactly what I want... no need to move on!!!

September 16, 2012 5:23 pm  #5

Sounds like the classic role reversal where the dominant (usually male) needs the love and support of the sub. Gotta say, this sounds pretty hot, but I still refuse to buy the books on principle

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

September 18, 2012 2:15 am  #6

Ack, I'm famous amongst those I know as the avid-reader-book-snob so I'd get side-eyed quite a lot if I read it, but now I really really really want to. Maybe I'll buy it in secret haha.

Board footera