You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2017 11:07 pm  #1

Obs: coworker (F) sobbing hysterically

I had an amazing observation yesterday. I'll try to describe it in as much detail as I can.

I saw my female coworker earlier in the day, and she seemed just fine. However, when I arrived at work, as I walked past the staff area, as I glanced in, I noticed her bent over the desk, her forehead in her hands, and her lips squeezed together and contorted. I realized she was crying, and I was so surprised that I walked past the doorway to take a moment to collect myself, since I knew I'd be the one to walk in there and talk to her. A few seconds later, I entered the room.

She was bent over the desk, and what I could see of her face (lips, cheeks, neck) was bright red. Her lips, on which she had a thick coat of bright red lipstick, were bulged and curled. She was mid-silent sob, not breathing. I asked her what was wrong and if she was okay, and pulled a chair up next to her. Within a minute, two other people had joined us (a coworker and our boss, who is really good friends with her outside of work too). She had clearly been attempting to stifle her crying, but when she tried to answer me, she dissolved into absolute hysterics. I haven't seen someone cry this hard in a very long time (except my FI once or twice, but for a friend/acquaintance obs, this was very intense).

She opened her mouth to answer me, still covering her eyes, but when she tried to speak, nothing came out. Suddenly, her upper body pitched forward over the desk, and she was obviously still trying to speak, but instead, a loud moan came out. Her mouth opened into an enormous contorted bulge, and snot and tears were pouring down her face, along with lots of makeup (eye makeup, lipstick, foundation). She could not inhale or exhale; she was suspended over the desk. Finally she managed a loud gasp, followed by about ten seconds of uncontrollable sobs. She was completely unable to control the the sound of them, despite being at work, and they were very loud and sharp. I'm certain that people patronizing our workplace could hear her sobbing; it's not a very big building/room. I had my hand on her back, and our boss was giving her tissues and trying to comfort her. Eventually, she could speak a little, and told us through sobs that a sudden family emergency had occurred and then resolved, but the stress from the hour of uncertainty was coming out through tears. She continued to sob loudly with her mouth hanging open, and suddenly, unbelievably, it intensified even further. She was doubled over the desk now, tears spilling onto the table and some paperwork. Her hands weren't covering her face any longer. Her eyes were squeezed shut, her mouth hung open, and she sat there for about twenty seconds unable to breathe. She gasped loudly, and let out more choking sobs. This continued for about five minutes. She was finally able to calm herself enough to talk to us and then head to the bathroom to wash up (she was covered in makeup and tears).

It was intense, to say the least. She seemed fine about an hour later when she returned, and we went about our day together. I think the stress had just built up to an extreme point and she had an anxiety attack.

May 10, 2017 12:10 am  #2

Re: Obs: coworker (F) sobbing hysterically

Sounds very hot and intriguing. Was she grateful for everyone trying to comfort her?

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

May 10, 2017 3:15 am  #3

NeedHerSobs wrote:

Sounds very hot and intriguing. Was she grateful for everyone trying to comfort her?

I'm sure she was glad we were there. She didn't respond very readily to our comfort, but that was mostly because she was sobbing so hard. She tends to be the type to fend for herself and not rely on other people too heavily, but she's also very compassionate, and we're all pretty good friends. She definitely wanted to talk to us and tell us what was going on, even though she was having trouble getting it out.

May 10, 2017 3:46 am  #4

Those moments are the best.

May 12, 2017 8:15 am  #5

Carrotcake, that is unbelievably hot. I especially loved the bit where she tried to speak but just sobbed instead. I love it when they cry so openly. The red lipstick just enhanced everything. Very lucky find. Would you call her an attractive woman?

Ugly crying is pretty crying

May 13, 2017 1:56 am  #6

TorNorth wrote:

Carrotcake, that is unbelievably hot. I especially loved the bit where she tried to speak but just sobbed instead. I love it when they cry so openly. The red lipstick just enhanced everything. Very lucky find. Would you call her an attractive woman?

I would say yes, she is attractive in my opinion. She has big eyes, shapely lips, a dainty nose, and very smooth skin. Her dark brown hair is fairly long and usually pulled back in a pretty updo or partial braid. She's curvy and was wearing a cute dress that day.

It was indeed unbelievably hot. The lipstick definitely enhanced the shape of her mouth.

May 13, 2017 7:52 am  #7

carrotcake wrote:

TorNorth wrote:

I would say yes, she is attractive in my opinion. She has big eyes, shapely lips, a dainty nose, and very smooth skin. Her dark brown hair is fairly long and usually pulled back in a pretty updo or partial braid. She's curvy and was wearing a cute dress that day.

It was indeed unbelievably hot. The lipstick definitely enhanced the shape of her mouth.

Could you see if her breasts and belly were bouncing as she sobbed?

May 13, 2017 10:31 am  #8

Wow, such a powerful crying event - generally, at least as far as I've experienced in work crying does not involve much sobbing. There have been exceptions - but people view sobbing as ugly crying, and sobbing is viewed as a complete loss of control. And even when people get to a point where their emotions spill over and they can't stop themselves from crying they exercise some control and cry quietly - wobbly voice, gasping kind of breathing and a few tears which may or may not be wiped away.

​But to witness what was clearly a huge meltdown is rare I think. Interesting you said she was fine about and hour later, I assume you mean emotionally - was her crying episode discussed at all with her? Did she appear embarrassed about her crying outburst?

​I remember I woman at work years ago who did the 'pretty' cry - no sobbing, no snot but huge tear fill brown eyes sending the odd perfect drop down her cheek. She did not appear embarrassed at all, even talked about it afterwards how the emotion got the better of her and she could not stop a few tears from escaping. Several months later due to a major event in her life she broke down into uncontrollable crying, Sobbing loudly, shoulders shaking, face contorted, chin wobbling, tears streaming down her face and snot running from her nose. she was mortified afterwards, so embarrassed - apologised for her loss of control and sorry if it had made anyone feel uncomfortable.

​Both times she was clearly crying - the only difference was the intensity but the reactions from her were very different. 

May 13, 2017 4:33 pm  #9

tearhunter wrote:

​I remember I woman at work years ago who did the 'pretty' cry - no sobbing, no snot but huge tear fill brown eyes sending the odd perfect drop down her cheek. She did not appear embarrassed at all, even talked about it afterwards how the emotion got the better of her and she could not stop a few tears from escaping. Several months later due to a major event in her life she broke down into uncontrollable crying, Sobbing loudly, shoulders shaking, face contorted, chin wobbling, tears streaming down her face and snot running from her nose. she was mortified afterwards, so embarrassed - apologised for her loss of control and sorry if it had made anyone feel uncomfortable. 

You think the mortification was due more to the scene she created or the general "ugliness"?

Ugly crying is pretty crying

May 14, 2017 8:42 am  #10

Probably a bit of both TorNorth. And also I think the loss of control was a big thing - which implies although she was crying before there was a degree of control so that in her eyes the crying didn't get out of hand.

Board footera