You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2017 8:37 am  #1

Personal record, wow

Just thought I'd share with the group that over the last approximate year-and-a half, I managed to get 5 different male observations!  This is quite a dramatic difference from my usual average, which was probably no male observations per year (maybe an observation every few years?)  I credit this dramatic improvement to a change in lifestyle.  

Basically, I decided to take a bunch of workshops and classes in the performing arts (theatre, essentially).  Mostly because I genuinely wanted to but also because I secretly hoped for more observations.   *3* of these observations were from taking workshops.  The other 2 were just luck (which interestingly would have made it a better than average year anyway).

I should clarify that some of these "observations" were not really what I would call crying, but more like getting teary-eyed or almost-crying, so I've dubbed them "emotional" observations.  I've set my own rules that when I call it a crying observation (proper), I think that at least one tear should leave one eye or get wiped directly from the eye (to prevent spilling) or if the eyes aren't full enough that a tear would spill out then there should at least be an audible sob.  Anyway, my breakdown was as follows:

"Emotional" observations
-good-looking guy in a workshop got noticeably teary-eyed while doing an exercise.
-older man (not attractive to me) in a class speaks with a wobbly voice and long emotional pauses while reading something personal

Crying observations
-friend (not attractive to me) suddenly breaks down in my presence and I got to hug him while he cried (I posted this obs a while back... sadly, it was not how I had always dreamed it would be as I felt awkward, a tad disturbed, and not in the 'zone'... but still very grateful to have had the experience!!)
-friend cries on Skype (OK, so that's not in person, but I'll still count it as an obs as it was live)
-a good-looking guy in a different workshop cries as part of a different exercise... I can see the wetness on his cheeks which he wipes periodically with his sleeves...

I should mention that while taking classes definitely resulted in more observations than I normally get, going out to see sad plays with crying in them didn't (if it's not *believable* that the actor is really crying, which I generally find to be the case with the plays I see, it doesn't count!).  Also, I was mistaken to assume that I would see more potential observations in longer classes (classes that ran for weeks/months) than in short 1 or 2 day workshops!  Although I did see several female observations this way (some quite dramatic), the male ones came during the shorter workshops for whatever reason!  My thought is that maybe it mostly depends on the particular GUY you are dealing with than whatever class it is, no matter what the class is.  That is my theory.  

Having said that... if there are any actors/performers out there (I know we used to have at least one professional Hollywood actor on the forum!) who could recommend any particular TYPE of classes (certain technique, style of class, keywords to look up?) that one could take for more crying observations, please let me know!!  This forum, to me, is a great place where we can help each other out, whether through listening and understanding, sharing things like pics or videos, or sharing other resources and advice.  Unfortunately, through my research, I couldn't find a class that was advertised as anything really obvious like a class where you "learn how to cry-on-cue" (I would sign up in a second, haha), but something tells me that's not really how it works... that that kind of thing would be buried deep into something else... some kind of work that embraced the bigger picture, maybe... any actors out there with advice?

Anyway, just thought I would share my news!

July 5, 2017 5:39 pm  #2

Re: Personal record, wow

woundedpuppy wrote:

Unfortunately, through my research, I couldn't find a class that was advertised as anything really obvious like a class where you "learn how to cry-on-cue" (I would sign up in a second, haha), but something tells me that's not really how it works... that that kind of thing would be buried deep into something else... some kind of work that embraced the bigger picture, maybe..

Hahaha! Laughing cause I know the feeling, why can't they just state outright what we are looking for? Ie: why can't movie genres be grouped like guys crying, girls crying, naked crying, etc instead of drama, comedy etc lol. Also I'm still trying to find out of there's a word or medical term for that feeling you get in your stomach when you see someone crying unexpectedly. The world is not set up for us.

July 6, 2017 7:49 pm  #3

Re: Personal record, wow

Hey, WoundedPuppy - really pleased you got a few observations - I know you'd been suffering from a bit of a Male tear drought before these. Long may your observation flood in

Board footera