You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2016 5:59 pm  #1

Star Trek Into Darkness -- 3 male crying scenes.

I haven't seen all of Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), but I remember it being discussed as kind of a high water mark for male crying in mainstream genre filmmaking, to the point that some critics were put off by the amount of emotion on display.  (Most notably this curmudgeon: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/16/spock-crying-star-trek-into-darkness). 

When I was searching for clips, I also came across this quote from the director, JJ Abrams: "The goal of this movie is to make you cry. If the movie does its job, then by the end of the movie, you will have had a reaction involving the eyes," the filmmaker promised with a laugh. "If the movie works, then there's definitely an emotional component."

I was pretty impressed with all three of these scenes, especially considering the the type of film, and was really pleased to find them online in HD.  I'm still trying to figure out which one I like best.   

The content of all three clips is very spoiler-y

-------------------------

1) A fairly intense crying scene from Chris Pine begins at about 2:35

2) A perfect tear from Benedict Cumberbatch in the last minute or so

3) Pine and Zachary Quinto share an emotional moment + a bonus tear from Simon Pegg

September 13, 2016 3:04 am  #2

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness -- 3 male crying scenes.

Ooh, so many new pictures for my crying Pinterest board.  Thank you!  
Nice work from Chris Pine.  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

June 5, 2020 5:13 am  #3

Bless the filmmakers for giving us SOUND in that first clip! I was thinking they might have the music be the only sound, but nope. Yay for crying sounds! Really a very well-done scene from Quinto and Pine. Lots of different emotions play out on their faces. I also appreciate that in all three scenes they show the mens' faces plainly.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

September 25, 2020 5:27 am  #4

Ohhh bless <3 <3 <3 

Board footera