You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2019 12:48 pm  #21

Re: Wedding Day

The following morning all of us were down early before the rush. We had a leisurely start to breakfast and it was about 8:45ish that David came in.

I joined him at his table still not quite sure what to say to him.

"How are you feeling?"

"I've got a 4am hangover." my brother told me, rubbing his eyes. "Either from the whisky or throwing up all night." He paused

"You don't sound very sympathetic by the way." he continued.

"You not only gate-crashed Hayley's wedding, got yourself drunk, but outed my wife in front of an entire bar, insulted her name and made her cry." I replied "Made us both cry actually, so you'll forgive me if I'm fresh out of sympathy."

David looked at me.

"I made one mistake, and it cost me everything." he said a trace of bitterness creeping into his voice. "Is that fair?"

He did kind of have a point, however I was reminded of Amanda, the girl at Claire and Jeremy's wedding that me and Daniela had befriended, who due to her asexuality couldn't have a meaningful relationship with anybody. She'd tried to have one with Jeremy's brother Ben, but it never got off the ground.

"You didn't make a mistake, you made a choice." I told him firmly. "A choice to cheat on Hayley for reasons unknown. And then you made another one. To tank your marriage because your mother-in-law said something nasty."

I let this sink in before continuing.

"I know me and Mrs Bridges didn't have the best relationship..."

"You didn't have any relationship with her Lynn!" David interrupted. "She wouldn't speak to you at all!!"

"Allright, I didn't have any relationship with her." I agreed. "But irrespective of my personal feelings, I never took it out on Cass or Evie."

"I still can't believe you sent flowers to her funeral." David countered. His voice was quieter now almost as if he wasn't up to arguing.

"I forgave her because I saw no reason to be angry at a ghost." I informed him quietly. "And so I could move on and start my new life without any baggage. And that's what you need to do. Find someone new, try and have a relationship with your daughter, if it's not too late."

David looked at me again, but I sensed the conversation was over. I heard a five year old boy call out 'Auntie Dan!!' and I knew that Vanessa had arrived bringing her son Damien with her.

"How's he doing?" she asked.

"Aside from the hangover, I'm not sure." I confessed. "Don't be too hard on him."

"I won't." Vanessa said going to sit with her brother.

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

January 13, 2020 7:00 pm  #22

Re: Wedding Day

"Do you think David will marry again?" Daniela asked me as we hang our coats up in our small room next to our front door.

We were both back home from the wedding analysing what would happen next. After Damien had shown us his shell collection he'd picked up off a Scottish beach, Tom's sister Nina had come to us worried that she had been the one to reveal albeit inadvertently the wedding venue.

It turned out that David had managed to follow her on Instagram under an assumed name (that I recognized) shortly before she'd protected her posts.

We both told her not to worry as since she wasn't to know and fate had decided to make David late arriving at the hotel, thus not disrupting the wedding.

"I'm not sure." I said honestly. "He can't marry Hayley anymore, but at the same time I don't think the bachelor life would suit him much."

"You lay out the picnic and I'll shut the curtains." Daniela said. We'd stopped off at the same service centre as before and had a hot meal for lunch so we decided to have a sandwich tea in front of the television watching the Enid Blyton box set we'd purchased at the same time.

I agreed to this suggestion and laid out a blanket with our food and drink on top. As I was performing these duties the familiar raspy sound I knew so well came to my ears. Daniela was putting her boots on to keep her legs warm.

"I don't know what we pay our window cleaner for." she complained as she came through. "He always leaves us with streaky windows!"

"Which adventure do you want to start with?" I asked as she closed the curtains in our lounge. I passed her the little booklet and she perused it for a few seconds.

"Let's have The Castle of Adventure" she suggested.

I put the DVD in the player and arranged ourselves in front of the sofa.

"Thanks for coming with me to my best friends weddings." I said to her.

Daniela tenderly kissed me on the lips for a few seconds. The kind of gentle snog that felt warm and comforting, like marshmallows and hot chocolate on a winter's night.

"Your welcome." she replied. The copyright notices had cycled through so all that remained was to press the play button to watch our show

THE END

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

Board footera