You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2018 4:54 am  #1

The Miles Between You and Me

[I usually try to write a happy ending for all the stories I write, but this one ends on a bit of a sad note. I hope you guys don't mind.]

[Context: Theo earned a very exclusive spot in an internship program based in Salt Lake City, Utah. The problem is that his boyfriend, Devon, cannot move from San Francisco without forfeiting his own internship. They will have to live apart for a few months.]
“Dev, where’d I put my dress shoes?” Theo asks, opening the closet door and looking inside for what has to be at least the third time. He abandons the closet and gets on his knees to look under the bed. He lifts up the bedskirt. There’s only a few small boxes and a couple stray socks under there. Theo stands up and looks over at Dev, who’s lying on the bed, browsing what--Tumblr? “C’mon, Dev. I know you don’t want me to leave, but I have to. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me.”

Devon’s thumb hovers over a certain post, but Theo knows he isn’t reading it. Theo walks over to the side where Devon’s lying and stands there, waiting. He folds his arms.

“Devon. Talk to me.”

Devon finally sets his phone down and looks up at Theo. Without warning, tears fill Devon’s eyes. He sits up and sighs miserably. Theo sits beside him and wraps an arm around his shoulder, feeling terrible for leaving only six months into their marriage.

“I just don’t want you to go,” Devon says, his voice trembling. Tears drip down his face one after another, in quick succession. They leave salty wet trails on his face. At the sight of Devon’s tears, Theo starts to well up. He wipes a few of Devon’s tears with his free hand. Devon catches Theo’s hand and nestles his face into the crook of Theo’s neck. In response, Theo gathers Devon closer and rubs his back. They rest their intertwined hands on Theo’s leg.

“I’m sorry.” Theo whispers, wishing he could change things. Wishing that his new internship could be located in San Francisco instead of Salt Lake City. Wishing that Devon could join him sooner than a few months. Theo feels his own tears blazing warm trails down his face as the reality of their situation hits him.

The couple sit on their bed for a while, not able to do much except cling onto each other and whisper the occasional comforting word.

After about ten minutes, their tear ducts start running dry. Feeling only a little better, Devon and Theo break their hug. Devon feels cool air hit the wet patch on his shirt from where Theo’s tears fell. Devon smiles sadly.

“What?” Theo asks, noticing the smile.

Devon sniffles. “I’m going to miss the way you soak my shirt with your tears. In all the time we’ve been together, I don’t think you’ve ever used a tissue.”

Theo laughs weakly and wipes his face with his palms. “Who needs a tissue when you can cry into your boyfriend’s shirt?”

Devon laughs once. “True.”

They sit in silence for a few seconds, contemplating a life without each other. Neither can imagine it. Theo sighs. Devon echoes the sigh. After a few more seconds, Theo slowly gets up.

“I know this hurts, but my Uber is going to be here any minute. Do you remember where my shoes are?”

“Yeah,” Devon says, rubbing his eyes. “They’re in the laundry room.”

“Thanks.” Theo leaves the room and returns several seconds later, carrying his dress shoes. He unzips his large black suitcase and tucks the shoes in. He zips up the suitcase and brings it up onto its wheels. Outside, a car honks.

“Aw, crap.” Devon stands up and walks over to the window. “It’s here.”

Theo takes a deep breath and approaches Devon. Devon turns away from the window. Both men head over to the front door of their apartment. Devon grabs the suitcase on their way. They take the elevator down to the first floor, walk out of the building, and stop by where the Uber is waiting. The Uber driver pops the trunk. Devon hefts the suitcase up and into the trunk, closing the door.

“I guess this is it,” Theo says when Devon turns to him.

“I guess so.”

Theo reaches in his front pocket and hands his apartment key to Devon. “Text and call me every day, okay?”

“Okay,” Devon whispers.

“Alright.” Theo leans in for a kiss, despite not being a fan of PDA. Devon kisses him. Theo slowly walks over to the side of the Uber. After sharing one last, longing look, he opens the car door and gets in. “‘Bye, Dev.”

“‘Bye,” Devon says.

Theo closes the door. After a few seconds, the Uber starts driving away. Devon waves, even though he can’t see Theo through the tinted windows. Theo waves back.

Devon waits until the Uber disappears from sight before turning around and shuffling back into the apartment building.

Still, by the clock's revolution each hour,
I dissolve into tears about ev'ry half hour.

November 29, 2018 2:30 pm  #2

Re: The Miles Between You and Me

Me too. If it makes it any better, I imagine that in a few months, Theo and Devon will be reunited and perfectly content.

November 29, 2018 3:58 pm  #3

Nice story azutid !!

A million dreams is all it's gonna take

November 29, 2018 4:09 pm  #4

Thanks! :D

November 30, 2018 8:36 pm  #5

Good, touching story, M/F or F/M would have made it quite a great story for me. I liked the way tears filled the eyes unexpectedly, then the trembling voice and finally, unchecked tears rolling down the face, amazing detail the salty streaks left on the cheeks, which are lovingly wiped by the partner.
I also found cute holding the loved one’s hand and held it on the face, just before burying the face in the crook of the neck. As you know, the most attractive part of the body for me is legs, both thighs and calves. I liked that they had their hand on the leg, I usually rest my hand on my wife’s thigh.

The detail of the patch on his shirt brought a flashback, last time Steph cried on me she left a patch on my shirt, when she found out she apologized, if she only knew I love feeling her tears.

Eagerly waiting for your next story.

Last edited by Amans lacrimae (November 30, 2018 8:44 pm)

December 1, 2018 1:39 am  #6

Thanks for letting me know what you liked! I like knowing the parts of my stories that other people enjoy.

Board footera