You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2017 8:22 pm  #11

Re: Male Observation...

Fair enough (that any personal struggle could potentially make a counsellor cry), but I have done some counselling off and on through my life and don't remember making a counsellor cry and most were females!  I do think the intensity of the subject matter would make it more likely that empathetic crying would occur.  Anyway, glad he was helpful!  Interesting to hear about the conversations on the subject of crying.  Kind of gives me a window into their training, I guess. 

July 30, 2017 4:41 am  #12

I think there’s more than one type of empathetic crier. The first type is a person who just feels the emotions of another crying person just by being around them, without needing to know the specifics of why the person is upset and without even needing to talk to them. The second type is a person who can maintain some initial emotional detachment from a crying person, but then loses this detachment once they start to relate personally to something that the crying person says. I hope that makes sense. I think your counselor is in the second category, as he could maintain his composure while watching you sob repeatedly, and only cried himself once he got some new information from you that he could relate to.

I’m in the first category. When I’m with someone, I’m sensitive about way they look at me, their facial expressions, and their tone of voice.
  ​

tearhunter wrote:

​I imagine not everyone is the same... how did people react when you cried? How did you react? Did you allow tears to fall?

The first time this happened, my attending was speaking to the patient’s mother, and the mother was sobbing uncontrollably, and I just teared up. Because I was just standing there listening and wasn’t talking to her directly, I was able to hold it back pretty well. The second time, it was with a family I knew well, and I was talking with them directly so I couldn’t distract myself to interrupt the emotion. It was a woman, man, and their daughter all sobbing very hard. I had been talking to them for almost ten minutes beforehand and they were crying throughout that part, but once I had given them all the information I had and there was nothing left to say, I did sit with them for a few minutes and that’s when I started to cry. This time I did let some tears fall and I wiped them before leaving the room. The third episode was similar, but it was an elderly man sobbing, and I had one tear fall down my cheek during that conversation. My feeling was that none of these people had the energy to really care whether I cried or not, as long as I did it discreetly.

July 31, 2017 8:12 pm  #13

I think in the main you are correct - what I was saying was something he could relate to which he found emotional enough to trigger tears. But, I also think he is very empathic and feels the emotions of others very strongly. So a bit of both but I agree more towards the second category you mention.

​I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "as long as I did it discreetly" - sound like you cried quietly with a few tears only. No big loud distracting crying with uncontrollable sobbing. My counsellor was similar, visible tears, slightly wobbly chin but no sobbing or audible crying of any sort. The tears where visible and he made no attempt to hide them but that was it. I sometimes think he would have felt wiping his tears away would have been distracting - we were making eye contact throughout - there was no real opportunity to look away and discreetly wipe his tears away!  

August 3, 2017 8:01 am  #14

First I'd say hi as a first post, I was imtroduce myself(male) but jumping into a conservation feels a bit less scary.

truffle wrote:

I think there’s more than one type of empathetic crier. The first type is a person who just feels the emotions of another crying person just by being around them, without needing to know the specifics of why the person is upset and without even needing to talk to them. The second type is a person who can maintain some initial emotional detachment from a crying person, but then loses this detachment once they start to relate personally to something that the crying person says. I hope that makes sense. I think your counselor is in the second category, as he could maintain his composure while watching you sob repeatedly, and only cried himself once he got some new information from you that he could relate to.

I’m in the first category. When I’m with someone, I’m sensitive about way they look at me, their facial expressions, and their tone of voice.?

I'd say I'm probably more the second type, not that I can't pickup on emotional responses in people but theres definitely a big difference between just seeing someone crying(which does get a response) and knowing the reasons for it although those reasons don't have to be put into words.

I can definitely understand the original posters point about crying infront of men, personally I would say a lot of the background to who I am now is a response to years of building up an emotional shield to deal with being overly sensitive when I was younger(shy, prone to crying under stress) and the embarrisment/bullying this caused. I'm guessing this is somewhat universal but just taking to more extremes with those who suffer from it more?

August 4, 2017 1:37 am  #15

re, welcome  aboard!

August 6, 2017 5:39 am  #16

Hi RF, welcome on the forum. I understand your concern about posting on a forum where anybody can read some of your innermost feelings and strange things happening to you. I felt the same! People here are quite friendly so don't be afraid to tell us some more about you.

August 19, 2017 3:22 pm  #17

RF wrote:

I can definitely understand the original posters point about crying infront of men, personally I would say a lot of the background to who I am now is a response to years of building up an emotional shield to deal with being overly sensitive when I was younger(shy, prone to crying under stress) and the embarrisment/bullying this caused. I'm guessing this is somewhat universal but just taking to more extremes with those who suffer from it more?

​I think crying in front of others is quite a complex thing for me. I'm far more comfortable crying in front of females than guys. Why? - well from my experience most women that I've cried in front of have been supportive, caring and non-judgemental. Many have given me a hug, some have shed tears with me and some have even wiped my tears away! Although that mainly been my wife - but not exclusively. Yes, I have on occasion experienced negatively from women when I've been crying - once from a nurse, who basically said men should not cry!!

​I've cried in front of a few guys - recently, almost exclusively males in the medical profession. And although they have never really voiced a negative opinion I've not felt the same empathy and support - I tend to feel embarrassed, self-conscious and have a belief in my mind (where it's accurate or not) that the guy opposite is thinking - why's he crying? he should not be crying?

​But with the counsellor I worked with it didn't take long for my crying to feel normal. As I said before I was crying from our first meeting - there was no way I could hide the fact I was crying - it was impossible to hold them in. When you are sitting 6 feet away from someone, face to face there is no where to hide! Wiping the tears is an option, which I did a bit of but it does not hide the fact your crying and the tears where coming so fast for me at time I could not keep up if I wanted to - your face just gets smeared with wet tears!

​The second time I cried it was easier, third time easier still - tears where being left to roll freely down my face by this time - and also I was learning to trust him with my emotions. In the end any concerns, fears you have opening yourself up emotional to another person are eroded and it's the reasons for the tears that become more important than the tears themselves.

Board footera