You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2018 2:44 am  #1

Workplace tears

So my son's first birthday was a couple of weeks ago and the three of us celebrated at home with decorations and cake and it was awesome. What I didn't expect was an outpouring of love and affection and birthday wishes coming from family members in India who, just a few years ago, were being really hurtful about our marriage. I think it helps that my kid is adorable.
Anyway, I was getting those sweet messages and texts right as I was getting organized for a meeting at work, and I started getting a lump in my throat and tears welled up in my eyes. I had to quickly put my phone away and wipe my eyes before going to the meeting. I held it in for the next few hours as I finished the meeting and saw my patients. At lunchtime I went into my office, locked the door, and started to read all the amazing messages that had come in over the previous hours. The tears welled up the moment I turned my phone back on and started running down my cheeks almost immediately. I wanted to sob so bad but I had to be as silent as possible. I kept wiping my nose with a tissue so I wouldn't have to make sniffling noises, and I was wiping tears from my cheeks with the back of my hand. I did make a couple of loud hiccuping noises. A few tears fell onto the front of my blouse. This lasted for about five minutes. Once I stopped, I blew my nose and went to the bathroom to assess the damage. My eye makeup looked okay but the foundation was streaked pretty bad, so I fixed that. Then I went back to my office and ate lunch and waited, hoping my eyes and nose would look normal by the time my afternoon started. I don't think anyone noticed after that.

That morning as I was tearing up I texted TorNorth and NeedHerSobs on the Kik group. TN suggested I go cry in the bathroom and blame it on allergies, but I don't think that would have fooled any of my coworkers.

Also, a few days ago a female medical assistant became emotional (again at lunchtime) talking about how she always wanted a cat and she finally got one the day before. A single tear ran down her left cheek and I pulled out my phone and took a picture of her as she pouted jokingly. Her phone then rang, so she answered it and held it up to her left ear without wiping the tear from her cheek. The tear was still hanging there when she put her phone away, and then she finally wiped it.

One of my new years resolutions is to post obs soon after they happen. After a few days pass I start getting lazy and don't feel like posting anymore.

December 31, 2018 10:55 am  #2

Re: Workplace tears

So this unravels the mystery about that kik post? Pet people are weird.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

December 31, 2018 11:57 am  #3

TorNorth wrote:

Pet people are weird.

Amen. I can't relate to that level of excitement over a cat, but I'm happy she's happy.

December 31, 2018 12:59 pm  #4

I've never seen any workplace tears at all. So the fact you actually saw some and it wasn't wiped immediately makes me so envious.

I'm interested in a) why it just hung like that without falling all the way and b) did it dry at all

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

December 31, 2018 2:19 pm  #5

truffle wrote:

At lunchtime I went into my office, locked the door, and started to read all the amazing messages that had come in over the previous hours. The tears welled up the moment I turned my phone back on and started running down my cheeks almost immediately. I wanted to sob so bad but I had to be as silent as possible. I kept wiping my nose with a tissue so I wouldn't have to make sniffling noises, and I was wiping tears from my cheeks with the back of my hand. I did make a couple of loud hiccuping noises. A few tears fell onto the front of my blouse. This lasted for about five minutes. Once I stopped, I blew my nose and went to the bathroom to assess the damage. My eye makeup looked okay but the foundation was streaked pretty bad, so I fixed that.

Also, a few days ago a female medical assistant became emotional (again at lunchtime) talking about how she always wanted a cat and she finally got one the day before. A single tear ran down her left cheek and I pulled out my phone and took a picture of her as she pouted jokingly. Her phone then rang, so she answered it and held it up to her left ear without wiping the tear from her cheek. The tear was still hanging there when she put her phone away, and then she finally wiped it.

One of my new years resolutions is to post obs soon after they happen. After a few days pass I start getting lazy and don't feel like posting anymore.

I guess it was hard refraining from sobbing, also, you mention wiping your tears with the back of your hand, that action would have smeared the tears on your cheeks, I find it rather amusing that your foundation was streaked, were the streaks clearly visible? In my experience with my wife eye makeup resists more than foundation.

About the obs with the medical assistant, she must either, she is very comfortable with you, or doesn’t mind at all crying in public. I mean in order to allow you to take a picture of her crying, plus, making fun about it by playfully pouting for the camera, I wonder, is she a dac as well?

Nice new year resolution. Have a wonderful new year.

January 1, 2019 6:42 pm  #6

reptongeek wrote:

I'm interested in a) why it just hung like that without falling all the way and b) did it dry at all

Sorry it did fall all the way and it hung at her jawline. The streak of wetness on her cheek dried a little, but the tear remained there until she wiped it.

@Amans
By the time I was done the streaks weren't visible, just smudges.

Yes she was comfortable with me because I have cried in front of her before. I've noticed that a lot of girls are comfortable posing for the camera while crying and pout playfully. She's definitely not a dac. I've noticed that some women also point at the tear on their cheek when posing for the camera.

January 1, 2019 9:10 pm  #7

truffle wrote:

I've noticed that some women also point at the tear on their cheek when posing for the camera.

I see it as an attempt to be cutesy, same probably goes for the fake pout. I actually kind of hate that. I like women to cry intensely with a lip curl, and I like them to do it like an adult.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

January 1, 2019 10:16 pm  #8

truffle wrote:

@Amans
By the time I was done the streaks weren't visible, just smudges.

Yes she was comfortable with me because I have cried in front of her before. I've noticed that a lot of girls are comfortable posing for the camera while crying and pout playfully. She's definitely not a dac. I've noticed that some women also point at the tear on their cheek when posing for the camera.

Wow, I didn’t know a high percentage of girls wouldn’t mind getting photographed while crying, any hints how to identify them? Once I wanted to take a pic of Steph crying but I thought she would either get mad at me or stop trusting me.

January 2, 2019 2:33 am  #9

Amans lacrimae wrote:

Wow, I didn’t know a high percentage of girls wouldn’t mind getting photographed while crying, any hints how to identify them? Once I wanted to take a pic of Steph crying but I thought she would either get mad at me or stop trusting me.

OK here are some pointers i guess:

- NEVER take pics of people you don't know without their permission, that's creepy. Make sure you know the person.
-I haven't been able to photograph anyone over the age of 50 while they're crying for some reason. I think people between the ages of 20-50 are most willing.
- Look for people who talk openly about crying. 
- If people are crying in a group or in public they're more likely to want to be in a picture.
- Make sure the situation is lighthearted or casual and try to get them laughing first
- It really helps if you're crying with them. One of my favorite pics is from a night where a few of us were watching a movie and crying heavily. I noticed a beautiful tear run down my friend's cheek and I pulled out my camera. She looked directly at the camera while pointing at her tear. Amazing.
- Don't be a creep. Don't be a creep. Don't be a creep.

Oh and happy new year to you all. I'm curious which one of us will be the first to cry this year.

Last edited by truffle (January 2, 2019 2:40 am)

January 3, 2019 7:53 pm  #10

Beautiful obs, Truffle! I'm happy to hear that your family is this supportive of you and your son, now. Also, as a cat lover, I have to say how adorable I find the medical assistant's reaction to finally being able to obtain a cat of her own. I look forward to reading more posts from you!

Board footera