You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2016 4:02 am  #1

Hello

I've been lurking on Crying Lovers for longer than I'd like to admit, and I've finally found the right combination of time/privacy/courage to introduce myself.  I've enjoyed many of the video clips on the site.  And reading your real-life observations has been something of a revelation for me -- I've never encountered anything like that outside of this forum.

I first became aware of my interest in male crying when I was about twelve or so.  I would get obsessed with scenes in certain movies and watch them over and over again. (Movies, with or without crying, are a serious hobby of mine and I hope to find time to contribute to the video and scene directory sections.)  

I also have this really vivid memory of a boy I had a crush on at camp tearing up as he told me goodbye.  

I feel like I don't show emotion terribly easily -- especially for a woman -- and I suppose I tend to admire people who are able to be more in touch with their feelings.

Thanks!  

February 17, 2016 5:12 am  #2

Re: Hello

Hi, Tristana, and welcome!

Like you, I'm a brand-new member, and it did take a certain amount of courage on my part to join. 

From your description of yourself, you sound a lot like me.  I'm also into movies and have many favorite (mostly male) crying scenes.  What are your favorites?

February 18, 2016 12:54 am  #3

Hi, White Tulip.  Thanks very much for the warm welcome. 

I've discovered a number of new favorites on this forum.  

I find I'm partial to actors from the UK -- Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy, James McAvoy, etc. I'm especially fond of blue eyes.  

For some reason I also tend to prefer relatively understated crying scenes; I like a quivering lip and tears while talking, but I'm somewhat less attracted to out and out sobbing.   

What about you?

Last edited by Tristana (February 18, 2016 12:56 am)

February 18, 2016 3:58 am  #4

Hi again, Tristana.  I'm American but love British actors, too.  In fact, my all-time favorite crying scene is Liam Neeson's famous breakdown at the end of Schindler's List; my second favorite would have to be Colin Firth's in The King's Speech.  Are you familiar with either of those?

As for others, Adrien Brody is very good at weeping/tearing up onscreen, and in The Pianist he has more than one such moment.  I'm extremely fond of him and his performance in that film.  Another crying scene I like -- though it's meant to be semi-comic -- is Jack Lemmon's in the movie version of Neil Simon's The Odd Couple.  Finally, one of my favorite singers, Michael Crawford, has a very affecting crying scene in the televised London stage production of the musical Barnum.  This is on Youtube, as are the Neeson and Firth crying scenes. 

There are many more great male crying scenes, of course, but the ones I just mentioned are my favorites so far.

As you might be able to tell from my list, I tend to prefer either a cracking voice and tear-filled eyes, or full-out sobbing.  If a crying scene is too understated or brief, I tend to be dissatisfied with it. 

Last edited by White Tulip (February 18, 2016 4:02 am)

February 18, 2016 4:53 am  #5

That scene from The King's Speech is very sweet.  Colin Firth has another good on in A Single Man -- it might already be posted somewhere, but here 's a link:

I haven't seen Schindler's List in quite some time -- I'll have to rewatch it.

I've been watching more French films lately; I remember Romain Duris having a good scene in Mood Indigo, but I haven't been able to find any clips.

February 18, 2016 5:32 am  #6

Yes, thank you.  I'd seen the Single Man one before, but it's good to be reminded of it. 

What I like so much about the King's Speech crying scene is that it appears so inevitable; in other words, the pressures have built up so much on Firth's character that it's no surprise at all when he breaks into sobs.  Colin makes the transition into weeping look so natural, too.

February 29, 2020 12:27 am  #7

God, I want to be Julianne Moore in that scene.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

Board footera