You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2020 7:14 pm  #1

Another coffee shop crying obs

This happened in the same coffee shop where I saw someone crying during a public therapy session! I actually saw that same therapist and client a second time, but no one cried during the session (and trust me, I was paying attention).

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I was having coffee and getting work done when I suddenly heard some loud gasps. Of course, public crying is usually unexpected, so I thought it was laughter for a second, but after several more gasps, I realized it was sobs. It sounded like a young woman (later confirmed: woman in her early 20s with long, straight brown hair wearing workout clothes). I couldn't see her during the crying because of a fireplace structure positioned between us.

I heard an older woman (I think it was her mother) speaking quietly to her, but mostly just letting her cry. She was sobbing consistently and quite loudly for about two minutes, taking frequent sharp breaths and letting out rapid, voiced sobs. They occasionally sounded a bit muffled, as though she were covering her mouth with her hand, but she was freely crying. The room was pretty crowded, and several people stopped talking and surreptitiously glanced over. One older woman gave a sympathetic glance and quickly tried to resume speaking normally to her companion so as not to rudely stare.

I stood up a couple of minutes after she stopped crying and went to get a napkin - I really had to walk by and see who was crying. It was immediately clear that it was this particular woman because although she had stopped, her eyes and nose were bright red and her voice was still a bit unsteady. I didn't see any tears or hear her blow her nose.

March 26, 2020 11:58 pm  #2

Re: Another coffee shop crying obs

Wonderful obs! Too bad she covered her mouth. You think maybe there's a particular time when these therapy sessions happen

Ugly crying is pretty crying

March 27, 2020 2:16 pm  #3

TorNorth wrote:

Wonderful obs! Too bad she covered her mouth. You think maybe there's a particular time when these therapy sessions happen

To clarify, this wasn't one of the therapy sessions, just some other person who happened to be crying in the same coffee shop (unbelievably). But that's a good question! I didn't think to notice whether the two therapy sessions I witnessed happened at the same time. I should check back through my texts, since I was definitely texting my H about them.

March 27, 2020 4:23 pm  #4

Lovely obs, loud sobbing in a coffee shop, and not the first obs in the same place, guess we should all go to that coffee shop, I often go to coffee shops and never have I witnessed a crying person, a barista once told me a self obs in a coffee shop, but that was as close to an obs I could get.

March 28, 2020 6:35 am  #5

I wish we were all so lucky as to have as many crying obs in a public place as you have.

March 28, 2020 5:05 pm  #6

I love how you were able to visualize her crying just from the sounds she was making.

Did she stick around after that, or did she leave? I'm trying to imagine someone crying freely in public, fully aware that everyone was watching, and then remaining there afterward with wet eyes and a red nose and smeared makeup, as if nothing had happened. That kind of post-cry nonchalance sounds REALLY appealing.

March 31, 2020 1:55 pm  #7

truffle wrote:

Did she stick around after that, or did she leave? I'm trying to imagine someone crying freely in public, fully aware that everyone was watching, and then remaining there afterward with wet eyes and a red nose and smeared makeup, as if nothing had happened. That kind of post-cry nonchalance sounds REALLY appealing.

Agreed! I feel like someone who just pulls themselves together and sticks around is someone who isn't ashamed to cry in public and knows how to take care of themselves when/after crying. if that makes sense... that's really attractive!

March 31, 2020 3:27 pm  #8

truffle wrote:

I love how you were able to visualize her crying just from the sounds she was making.

She did stick around! She continued her conversation and didn't appear embarrassed or uncomfortable when I walked past her. I also find it difficult to imagine doing that so casually. I guess it helps that everyone in the vicinity did a pretty good job of remaining casual and continuing with what they were doing, so no one made her feel overtly uncomfortable. But yeah, she was still there half an hour later when I left. She didn't have any makeup on, I don't think, but her nose and eyes were noticeably red for a bit.

Board footera