You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2020 6:26 pm  #1

Lots of crying last night

My husband and I had a stupid argument last night that led to a lot of crying (and more crying as we made up/continued our conversation this morning).

We were downstairs starting dinner when our disagreement began, and eventually, he said something in frustration that hurt my feelings. He stormed past me into the kitchen, and I immediately felt the pressure of tears behind my eyes. I picked up my phone and walked toward the stairs as my face crumbled, and as I ascended the stairs, a sob welled up in my chest. I walked to the bedroom silently with my face contorted in a lip curl and my stomach/breath tensed, and it wasn't until I crawled under the covers that I began to sob in quiet gasps. I could hear my H putting down whatever he was chopping in the kitchen and walking up the stairs to me, and I pulled the cover over my head and cried into the pillow. He climbed into bed next to me and put his arms around me, telling me he was sorry for what he said and pulling me over to him. I cried for a couple more minutes, and then we continued our conversation.

We talked for probably an hour and a half, and every few minutes, I would start to cry a bit again while talking, letting tears stream freely down my face and onto my shirt/the pillow/the covers/his chest and shirt. Eventually, he started to cry as well, a few seconds of rapid-fire sobs every few minutes. When he would cry, I would put my arms around him and let him cry into my chest. His lips were pulled back and contorted when he looked up at me, and his eyes were pink (he doesn't produce many tears).

Eventually, we realized we had not eaten for a very long time and were starting to feel quite unpleasant. We were both getting headaches, and we were no longer being completely rational because of our hunger. As we stood up, he started to feel dizzy from dehydration and hunger, and it took him a minute to stand up. I was closing curtains as he trudged toward the stairs, and suddenly I heard him sobbing loudly. I ran out of the room (just a few steps, really), and saw him halfway down the stairs, leaning on the banister. I helped him the rest of the way down the stairs - his blood sugar was really low, in addition to the fact that he was upset. Once we got to the bottom of the stairs, he collapsed into my arms, sobbing uncontrollably. I held him and whispered that I would make us some food and that everything was going to be okay, and we just stood there for a couple of minutes while he cried. His sobs were rapid-fire and loudly voiced, in addition to some high-pitched moans and gasps.

Finally, he nodded and gestured to the kitchen, so I went over and put away what we'd been preparing and popped a frozen pizza in the oven, as it was now too late/we were too hungry to prepare a meal. I set the timer and walked back over to the couch, where he was sitting and looking dazed and upset. I sat down and pulled him into my arms, and he immediately burst into tears again. He sobbed hysterically against my chest the whole time the pizza was cooking, unable to catch his breath. I was now in "comfort mode," but I felt a few residual tears leak out of my eyes and land on his back. He stopped crying when the food was done, and once we were eating, things came back into focus a little bit, and we just went straight upstairs and fell asleep.

This morning, I woke up very aroused from all of that crying, and we had sex right away. But then we realized we hadn't resolved everything from last night, so we talked about that a little more, and we both cried a bit (but not as violently as last night) and eventually figured everything out. We're both working with dull headaches and puffy eyes today, but everything's okay. I think the extreme stress from the past few weeks (due to the pandemic and everything) just caused us to kind of melt down. Which was probably good, really.

(As an aside, I feel like I end up posting a lot on here about times my husband and I have arguments, which feels weird because we don't argue that much. But I guess it makes sense because that's often when the crying happens!)

May 15, 2020 7:47 pm  #2

Re: Lots of crying last night

I was starting to miss your self obs, and this is the first time, I think, that you describe the prelude to crying, how you felt the pressure of tears behind your eyes, the gradual facial changes, how you felt the sob coming before sobbing, the diaphragm tension that caused your breath change while your lips started to curl, then the climax when you reached your bed, the tears and the sobs finally showed up. This crescendo is breathtaking, like a piece of classical music, it starts in a pp gradually going all the way to a ff. Simply love it.

I never thought anyone could cry out of hunger, like your husband did. I love how you allow your tears fall unchecked, this time landing in your boyfriend's chest and shirt, I expected he wouldn't allow them to fall all the way, since he usually wipes them. Guess this time both of you were too tired to wipe each other's tears.
As expected, you had to release the tension this caused as soon as you woke up. I know this pandemic issue is driving all of us crazy, and I understand that arguing is a usual cause of tears, don't worry, I don't think you argue too much

May 15, 2020 9:16 pm  #3

Amans lacrimae wrote:

I was starting to miss your self obs, and this is the first time, I think, that you describe the prelude to crying, how you felt the pressure of tears behind your eyes, the gradual facial changes, how you felt the sob coming before sobbing, the diaphragm tension that caused your breath change while your lips started to curl, then the climax when you reached your bed, the tears and the sobs finally showed up. This crescendo is breathtaking, like a piece of classical music, it starts in a pp gradually going all the way to a ff. Simply love it.

I never thought anyone could cry out of hunger, like your husband did. I love how you allow your tears fall unchecked, this time landing in your boyfriend's chest and shirt, I expected he wouldn't allow them to fall all the way, since he usually wipes them. Guess this time both of you were too tired to wipe each other's tears.
As expected, you had to release the tension this caused as soon as you woke up. I know this pandemic issue is driving all of us crazy, and I understand that arguing is a usual cause of tears, don't worry, I don't think you argue too much

As a classical musician who played professionally for 12 years, I love your analogy!

I think he didn't wipe my tears because 1. we were arguing rather than being overtly intimate, and 2. it was getting dark and we didn't turn on the light, so I expect he couldn't really see my tears. And yes, we were definitely too tired/worn out.

May 16, 2020 12:18 pm  #4

I love all the detail! I recently had a hard sobbing session myself. I discovered I lip curl quite prominently.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

May 16, 2020 3:21 pm  #5

TorNorth wrote:

I love all the detail! I recently had a hard sobbing session myself. I discovered I lip curl quite prominently.

I know you rarely cry, as you know, the way one cries varies (a lot) depending on the intensity. You had a hard sobbing session, which is the highest crying intensity one can have, in my experience, most people, if not all, at this point have a lip curl, I would define a lip curler a person who has a lip curl when the crying fit is not that intense, if that makes sense.

By the way, were you alone when you cried, or was your wife present?

May 16, 2020 8:09 pm  #6

I love how elaborately you describe all your crying sessions, and how much you and your husband can share in them. It's heart warming in its own way.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

May 18, 2020 9:44 am  #7

Amans lacrimae wrote:

TorNorth wrote:

I know you rarely cry, as you know, the way one cries varies (a lot) depending on the intensity. You had a hard sobbing session, which is the highest crying intensity one can have, in my experience, most people, if not all, at this point have a lip curl, I would define a lip curler a person who has a lip curl when the crying fit is not that intense, if that makes sense.

By the way, were you alone when you cried, or was your wife present?

I've got quite a lot of frustrating observation of women sobbing quite intensely but no lip curl. This is why I think the lip curl element is "built in" to the face for some people but not others. Could be wrong though.

I was alone that night. I was quite taken aback by the intensity.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

May 19, 2020 6:18 pm  #8

TorNorth wrote:

I've got quite a lot of frustrating observation of women sobbing quite intensely but no lip curl. This is why I think the lip curl element is "built in" to the face for some people but not others. Could be wrong though.

Wow, has your wife ever seen you cry?

May 19, 2020 7:02 pm  #9

TorNorth wrote:

I agree - in the same way that everyone's smile curves differently, everyone opens their mouth differently when they laugh, etc., I think facial and muscular structure must determine the size and shape of the lip curl. There are so many shapes that could be classified as a lip curl: pulled back, pulled down, lips more open or closed in the center, and of course, a full bulge that completely engages the chin. It's fascinating to me how everyone cries so differently (in appearance, sound, volume of tears) despite the commonalities that we all recognize.

May 19, 2020 8:41 pm  #10

carrotcake wrote:

I agree - in the same way that everyone's smile curves differently, everyone opens their mouth differently when they laugh, etc., I think facial and muscular structure must determine the size and shape of the lip curl. There are so many shapes that could be classified as a lip curl: pulled back, pulled down, lips more open or closed in the center, and of course, a full bulge that completely engages the chin. It's fascinating to me how everyone cries so differently (in appearance, sound, volume of tears) despite the commonalities that we all recognize.

I agree with you, I guess each has its own crying signature.

Board footera