You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2020 5:48 pm  #1

Tears at a quiz competition

Story from last year. I participated in an inter-school quiz competition and my teammate was a girl (who is quite a good friend, we've participated in several competitions together and she's one of the main reasons I like crying as I've seen her cry a lot and she's very beautiful when she cries). Anyway, so we made it to the final round and we were facing an all girls team in the final (and both the girls in that team cried as well). And did I mention I cried too. Now, before you judge us all for crying, this is a very prestegious competition in our city and you need to work really hard to even make it into the team, let alone reach the final. To cut a long story short, the judges somehow messed up the results and initially declared us the winners, and we were overjoyed and both the girls on the other team were very much upset and were about to cry. But just as we started celebrating our win, the other team started complaining and said something to the judges. A few officials gathered, as well as teachers from both schools, and my friend and I joined the commotion as well. The opposing team was having a heated argument with the judges, and one of them (the girls, not the judges) started crying. It was very nice to see, she was just letting her tears spill out of her eyes and trickle down her cheeks without caring to wipe them. The other girl started crying too, though she was wiping her eyes much more. I was just standing and paying more attention to these girls crying than to what the judges were saying, and I was startled out of admiring the tears being shed in front of me by one of the judges calling our team over and telling us that there had been a mistake in adding up the scores, and that the other team should actually win. Both me and my friend were taken aback, and we started arguing, and as we were all arguing, eventually, I started crying out of anger and frustration, and my friend started bawling her eyes out as well. Eventually, after all the commotion, the other team was declared the winners, and their tears actually turned to tears of joy, though at this point me and my friend were really frustrated and crying ourselves and I was too preoccupied with my own crying and that of my teammates to pay much attention to them. It was a very disappointing result for us, and it still makes me sad as it was my last chance to win the competition (me and my friend had won it the year before, and won it in a different age group the year before). I guess the only consolation is that I got to see three girls cry and I myself also cried. Hope you liked my story/obs whatever you guys call it.

June 12, 2020 5:53 pm  #2

Re: Tears at a quiz competition

Lovely, how did you console your friend? Did you hug her, did she hug you, how did you (and your friend) react towards the other crying?

June 12, 2020 6:04 pm  #3

I guess we were both consoled by our teachers, and her parents were there as well to console her, so we didn't really console each other in the moment. But we did text some apologies and comforting words to each other later, apologies as we both blamed ourselves for losing, and we encouraged each other saying the other person did really well and to not feel too bad as reaching the final itself was a great achievement. My reaction in the moment, looking past my frustration, was just to admire how beautiful she was in tears, she didn't particularly react to me. We've both seen each other cry before, she's generally a sensitive girl who cries if she loses more than a few marks in exams, and like I said, I've been quite tearful the last year or so, and I used to be a real crybaby in my pre-teens as well, and we've been classmates since then, so I don't think it was particularly awkward or uncomfortable for us to cry in front of each other, and given the situation, to even cry in front of others.

June 13, 2020 5:08 pm  #4

I love that you just cried openly when you felt like it. Thank you for this obs.

My favorite thing about this is that your teammates didn't treat you any differently when you cried. I know when I was in middle/high school, girls could cry all they want, but if a guy cried, it would become a negative part of his public reputation forever and nobody would let him forget it.

I'm curious if it's different now. In your current peer group, do guys cry unabashedly in front of each other or in front of girls? Have you noticed any stigma toward emotional guys?

June 28, 2020 1:46 pm  #5

truffle wrote:

I love that you just cried openly when you felt like it. Thank you for this obs.

My favorite thing about this is that your teammates didn't treat you any differently when you cried. I know when I was in middle/high school, girls could cry all they want, but if a guy cried, it would become a negative part of his public reputation forever and nobody would let him forget it.

I'm curious if it's different now. In your current peer group, do guys cry unabashedly in front of each other or in front of girls? Have you noticed any stigma toward emotional guys?

It's me from a new account as I lost my password. To answer your question, guys, including me, don't cry that often in front of people, this was a rare exception, but when someone does cry, they usually have a good reason for it, and while there would always be some morons making fun, there would also be those who are supportive and empathetic, so it's not all that bad. I also haven't seen that many guys cry outside of competitive sporting and academic circles, and these are generally acceptable circles for anyone who loses (especially in big finals against rival schools) to cry, at least in my culture. That said, different places have different cultures too, so this is just my experience.

June 28, 2020 1:48 pm  #6

cray stinger wrote:

3 obs at the same time! I've hardly had 3 obs in the last couple of years, lol! That's insane.

Haha, lol! Some of the girls I'm friends with are quite the criers.

Board footera