You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2018 2:10 am  #1

Obs - crying during movie (H and me)

My H and I watched an emotional movie the other day (heartwarming and suits our tastes nicely). I've seen this movie twice before and sobbed both times, including in the theater, but my H hadn't seen it. It's a great movie and I genuinely wanted him to watch it, but I can't deny I was also anticipating the tears.

He started crying during the opening scene just a little bit, so I knew I would see (and shed) some good tears. At several points, we both had tears streaming down our cheeks. We were lying on the couch; I was sort of on top of him, and we were both faced toward the TV. Every time he got emotional, I felt his stomach clench with the beginning of a sob. Sometimes it would heave rapidly a few times, and other times he'd let out just one shaky breath.

At the climactic scene (the most emotional part, obviously), we held each other tightly, and I felt his stomach shake against my body for a minute or so while he sobbed quietly. I took several shaky breaths and let out a few breathy sobs. As the movie ended, we turned to look at each other, and both of our faces were soaked with tears, since we had been steadily crying for several minutes and not wiping any tears away. We cuddled on the couch for a few minutes and kissed, and he told me that he loved the movie. We had to leave shortly for an event, so (much to our regret) we couldn't move things to the bedroom.

I find that when watching a movie that makes us cry, our sobs tend to be either silent or quite breathy, not loud. I suppose we're trying to hear the movie, and I guess we are feeling sympathetic emotion rather than personal, so we're not crying hysterically.

Of course, this makes me remember other similar observations. We watched Broadchurch about a year ago, and at the end of season 1, H was crying steady tears. I remember sobbing the first two times I saw the show, but the third time (when I watched it with H), I knew what was coming, so I felt a lump in my throat, but no tears.

The hardest I've ever cried from a movie was when I watched Recovery with David Tennant several years ago. The topic hit close to home, and the acting was stellar. I was watching it by myself, and I was crying steadily the whole time. But after one intense and personally emotional scene, I actually had to pause the movie because I was sobbing so hard. Like, heaving, gasping, echoing sobs that hurt my stomach. I remember putting the laptop down and sitting on the couch with my head in my hands, doubled over and bawling. I think I took a couple of other breaks during that movie to sob, too, but I recall the intensity of my sobs in that moment. They were the type where I couldn't inhale or exhale for 20 seconds at a time or some such, and when I did, it was a sharp, loud inhale followed by several seconds of loud sobs and another period of suspended breath. I've only cried that way maybe 5 times in my adult life (once was several weeks ago, actually). Granted, it wasn't just the movie; it was other issues that it reminded me of.

Okay, now I'm rambling.

March 6, 2018 8:03 am  #2

Re: Obs - crying during movie (H and me)

The last one sounds incredible, I can just imagine the range of expressions on your face. Btw, if there's a webcam on your laptop you can probably record during these moments.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

June 21, 2020 5:00 am  #3

Those descriptions of feeling his body while he cries are sweet and sexy.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

June 21, 2020 3:49 pm  #4

Hello Carrotcake, as always, your obs are amazing. I remember your husband doesn't shed that many tears, was he more tearful this time? "At several points, we both had tears streaming down our cheeks"
I love feeling my wife's abs when she sobs, she usually sobs in groups of three quick sobs then breathes. "Every time he got emotional, I felt his stomach clench with the beginning of a sob. Sometimes it would heave rapidly a few times, and other times he'd let out just one shaky breath."
Did his face become completely wet or were his tear streaks still visible, did his tears go beyond his cheeks? "As the movie ended, we turned to look at each other, and both of our faces were soaked with tears, since we had been steadily crying for several minutes and not wiping any tears away."

"The hardest I've ever cried from a movie was when I watched Recovery with David Tennant several years ago. The topic hit close to home, and the acting was stellar. I was watching it by myself, and I was crying steadily the whole time. But after one intense and personally emotional scene, I actually had to pause the movie because I was sobbing so hard. Like, heaving, gasping, echoing sobs that hurt my stomach. I remember putting the laptop down and sitting on the couch with my head in my hands, doubled over and bawling. I think I took a couple of other breaks during that movie to sob, too, but I recall the intensity of my sobs in that moment. They were the type where I couldn't inhale or exhale for 20 seconds at a time or some such, and when I did, it was a sharp, loud inhale followed by several seconds of loud sobs and another period of suspended breath. I've only cried that way maybe 5 times in my adult life (once was several weeks ago, actually). Granted, it wasn't just the movie; it was other issues that it reminded me of."

That sounds stunning, I can picture your face so soaked with tears that a single streak was no longer visible, Tornorth had a great idea, turn the camera on before starting the movie so you can record yourself crying without being self conscious (you'll forget the camera once the movie starts), honestly that type of crying sounds a bit painful, not able to breath, such intensity, maybe grief, overwhelming sadness, now I am the one rambling. Anyways, I hope you don't need to cry with such intensity again, have a happy weekend.

June 21, 2020 7:04 pm  #5

I always love your obs, particularly how you describe the silent heaving sobs from you and your partner. There's something tender and intimate about feeling a loved one trembling with sobs against you.

It reminds me a lot of how a friend of mine cries. I just had a rather intense experience with her a few nights ago that I should write up. Lots of silent sobs with her breasts and belly bouncing and her pressing my hand to her teary cheek.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

June 23, 2020 8:07 pm  #6

Amans lacrimae wrote:

Hello Carrotcake, as always, your obs are amazing. I remember your husband doesn't shed that many tears, was he more tearful this time?

Did his face become completely wet or were his tear streaks still visible, did his tears go beyond his cheeks? 

This was a couple years ago, so I don't remember exactly, but I think he sheds more tears when he's holding back his sobs. He did sob a lot, but he also spent time holding back sobs because he didn't want to interrupt his own watching of the movie. I think the tension of holding back the sobs somehow causes him to produce more tears and release them down his cheeks. Generally, he doesn't hold back sobs at all; he just immediately progresses to rapid-fire sobs without a period of biting back tears or having them well up. Usually when he does produce more tears, there will be a couple of streaks, along with a pool of tears that starts beneath his eyes and gradually coats his face.

Board footera