You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2013 8:29 pm  #21

Re: Anticipating crying scenes on TV or in movies

Actually, sometimes the lake-filled eyes that don't shed tears can be satisfying - especially if it's obvious the person is doing their best to hold back.

This is why the last Castle episode was not as disappointing for me as it was for others.  True, there was no actual sobbing, but it was such a departure from the character as he's been revealed so far that I was ok with it.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 23, 2013 10:40 pm  #22

caircair wrote:

When you know a crying scene is coming up in a future episode, or in a movie, do you find yourself thinking about it a lot?  If you know of a crying scene you haven't seen yet, do you actively seek it out? 

For me, the answer to both is "yes".  The reason this came up is because the next episode of "Castle"  (and possibly the one after that as well) feature a weepy Nathan Fillion.  I've heard he's a good crier, but everything I've seen so far has been disappointing - but the upcoming show clips give me the hope that this time, there will be some real emoting going on!

I know what you're talking about. That last episode was very disappointing for me. I can't wait for the next, assuming maybe he'll actually break down at some point.

July 18, 2020 9:23 pm  #23

psychic_girl wrote:

Oh yeah i have anticipated crying scenes for some lenghs of time and when i have nothing to do i still fantasize and anticipate . I had also anticipated the existence or creation of this forum where i could talk and share crying trivia which was never dissapointing )..

The longer anticipation periods where a few years ago, i was expecting Robert Goren aka / Vincent d'Onofrio to cry on Criminal Intent. The whole 6th season was full of cues that the main character, the invincible detective is going to crack sooner or later. It wass sooo coool and unusual that they brought him such amount of build-up on crisis. I mean the episodes Blindspot and Endgame are pure genious in terms of facial expressions and emotional developpment, cathartic build up. There's a  dramatic scene in Endgame with Roy Scheider, one of the last roles he played before his death, it's a masterpiece but sadly there's no follow through. If you ever see the show at least the very first 2 seasons and then this one you'll see what i mean. Then it simply loses momentum..Goren never actually cries or breaks down as he could have done it during the 6 th season or at least in the following 3. He has a short flip when his brother is found dead in season 9 i guess and his mentor reappers in another possibly cathartic scene but shit happens and he doesn't even tear up..

Such a dissapointment that now i don't even permit myself to anticipate again. It's damaging, trust me!
Another one was the time when i was expecting the scenes in Disgrace, an adaptation after J.M Coetzee's novel. Before the movie i bought the book read it, the protagonist has a few very suggestive scenes but in the movie there are only two with John Malkovich, one of my favourite crier. They are filmed from a distance and are soo short that the crying details are almost insignifiant. You cannot do that to Malkovich!!!

Another majour anticipation i had in highschool in a south american soap opera where i was anticipating the protagonist to cry at one time, and what followed was more then i expected. He cried for 3 episodes in a row, it was a sob fest i could have never imagined since there was almost no cry scene before.

Now i do my google routine fom time to time or on the youtube but my main issue is that i no longer crush on actors anymore. I agree with wounded puppy, i'm gettin' old and fed up..or maybe i just want something special in terms of crying..

SO. Love D'Onofrio. Love him. Criminal Intent was SO GOOD because of him. And I remember him breaking in Endgame. I remember him having a quick moment of tears that for me was so sad I actually never watched that episode again. Now, I am easy to please when it comes to crying, so maybe it didn't do much for you because it was so quick or whatever it was that didn't meet your crying needs (and your needs are your needs--truly not being snobby even if it sounds like I am). 

I want to see him cry in other things. (But if I don't, I still got to see him make out with Thomas Jane, and that is just as good, though different.)

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

Board footera