You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2020 9:07 pm  #1

Similarities between laughter and crying

This is random, but my husband's laughter shares some traits with his crying - similar vocalizations, belly hitching, Adam's apple bobbing. Of course, it sounds like laughter, but if he's laughing really hard, my mind sometimes makes the connection. I noticed this when we were lying in bed, and I had my head on his stomach - he started to laugh, but it was so similar to his sobs that it started to turn me on.

This got me thinking about similarities between laughing and crying, and I'm wondering if everyone's laughter and tears share some common traits. I think my laughter is somewhat similar in pitch to my sobs, but I actually inhale much more sharply after laughing hard than I do after even very intense sobs. I don't notice the subtleties of laughter nearly as much, though I was also thinking that anyone with a laughter fetish is lucky to get much more frequent observations!

July 21, 2020 9:24 pm  #2

Re: Similarities between laughter and crying

Not unusual at all. I've often noticed that how someone laughs is also how they cry.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

July 21, 2020 9:27 pm  #3

I should add, my ex gf loved having her tummy tickled. Sometimes the sound of her laughter was very much like sobbing.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

July 21, 2020 9:49 pm  #4

Absolutely! My wife's mother does this. I've found that when someone is sobbing quietly (like whispery sobbing), the exhaling portion really sounds like laughter. It becomes easier to tell the difference with more vocal sobbing or if they sniffle.

July 21, 2020 10:02 pm  #5

I have noticed that sometimes a laughing face has several distinct similarities to a cryface.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

July 23, 2020 8:10 pm  #6

I remember reading that some actors - especially child actors - if they can't cry are told to cover their faces and laugh. It does fit as the two are very similar. I know there are times when I can't tell the difference.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

July 23, 2020 9:30 pm  #7

My wife's laughing face is very different from her crying one, but I remember when I lived with my parents, when my mother sobbed, I could easily mistake it with laughter, so I wouldn't make a rule out of it, but some people seem or sound similar when laughing/crying.

Board footera