You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2021 3:30 am  #1

OK - this needs a separate thread...Ben Platt

OK, so I love this kid! I saw Dear Evan Hansen quite a few times with quite a few different casts, including the OBC -  and Ben has always been my favorite. He is truly a master at crying...and DEH is chock full of those moments. All the Evans cry, but Ben is a masterclass at crying while singing...complete with tears, snot and mucus. His sobs will break your heart. Now most people have seen the trailer already for DEH the movie, and I strongly suggest you go see it. There are trigger warnings - it consists of suicide, depression, anxiety and loneliness...but all in all - it is a brilliant story. And they DID redo the ending so there is a fitting solution. What I love about Ben is he was always natural in this role - and I was very impressed that he could "cry-sing" at all. I came from doing musical theatre in NY, and I can attest to the fact that it is NOT easy! I am linking the trailer here for you. But it is not only Ben that cries in this movie - it is the parents, friends, and girlfriend as well. Something for everyone! 

He also has done other things - and I can say that I have seen him cry in just about all of them in some form or another. The Politician is one that definitely had him crying multiple times. Whether they were deceptive tears (where I don't pay attention as to why he is crying - I just enjoy the crying), mournful tears or tears of being left alone - he is wonderful at it.  I am linking a few of those scenes as well.

He also cries in the videos of some of his original music. I will link that, too. 

I strongly suggest you watch the things he has done. I have been a fan of his since Pitch Perfect, and he does not disappoint in anything. He will definitely break your heart in this movie - please go see it if you can! In the meantime - enjoy the links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_c_Jd-hP-s (DEH trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvkH6xQF-oI (The Politician compilation)

The Politician - Payton and Georgina Hobart (Mom) Goodbye Scene - I HOPE this one works - the ending is GOLD! (Let me know if it doesn't...COPPA rules made me unable to save it - damn it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgHstLmE_s (another comp for The Politician with a few extra/other snippets)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDeNQNtW1f8 (one of his original songs - the ending is sweet)

Would love to know everyone's take on him. Have a good one! 

September 8, 2021 7:15 am  #2

Re: OK - this needs a separate thread...Ben Platt

Oh wow this guy is super expressive! You weren't kidding about the ending of the third one being gold. I clipped it in case it gets taken off youtube. 
It's a long wait, and while I think it's worth it to watch the whole scene, people who don't need as much context can skip ahead to 1:18 when the buildup to his breakdown begins. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wNtUNlfozxZyIupWf3eeTeJXgADTT5Ri/view?usp=sharing

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

September 8, 2021 8:20 am  #3

Watching the rest and I have so many thoughts!
I love the variety of ways he cries--that he goes from 'wet eyes and unsteady voice' to a variety of gasping breaths, trembling lips, mostly-silent shaking sobs, streaming tears, tears that come so quickly they drip off his face, and all the way to full-on undignified sobbing and ugly-crying.

In the second Politician compilation, at 0:45 was the other guy crying as he stood at the mic?
I've never cared all that much about seeing tears wiped, but the reveal of Ben's tears when they part from their kiss and the other man reaching up to wipe his tears was so sweet!
I def want to see the scene at 2:07 where he's crying in the red shirt and unsteadily saying 'this is weird; how did you get me to be vulnerable like that?'
It's not crying related, but I love how he drags his thumb across his lip at 2:20.

I've never seen or listened to DEH and I did not know anything about the plot except 'there's suicide also this musical makes people feel all the feelings' so I went into that trailer pretty damn blind. Now I really want to see it!

The song was cute (I predict it'll be at a lot of weddings), the dancing was excellent, and I loved the ending! I loved that not only does he cry that tear in full view of the camera, the video sort of highlights that he'd started crying by showing him taking a second to compose himself afterward.

Last edited by PhoebeOnThePhone (September 11, 2021 4:29 am)

September 8, 2021 11:32 pm  #4

Hey Phoebe! I have sooooo many Broadway clips to share of guys crying! Just you wait! Heh heh...

As for Ben, in the Gold scene - I LOVE the way his mom tells him to "let himself cry". She knows it is what he needs, and although he does throughout the series, it isn't like that, really. Honest and heartfelt. One thing about Ben is...you always want to hug and comfort him. And yes, the kid playing River DID start crying and wipe his eyes. 

I will try to find the scene about being vulnerable. It is super sweet. It is the first time they met, and River just bore his way into Payton's soul. Read the plot of DEH when you get a chance - it is an AMAZING piece of theatre and music. SO many people have been touched by it - definitely go see it. However, in the meantime - I will attach a bootleg copy (very good quality) of the live version OBC with Ben here for you to watch. I am very excited to include theatre here. Although I have done so before, I think that thread disappeared into the oldies. Not sure if it can be searched for - but if you find it - you will love what I posted.

September 9, 2021 11:53 pm  #5

OOoh wow yes that would be fantastic! 
This is making me think about when I saw Liev Schreiber in 'Talk Radio' in NYC in like '07. There's a scene at the end where he just breaks down and cries, and he's all alone onstage with no other sounds. I was in like the second row the second time I saw it and got to see and hear him cry in person. Liev is an amazing crier. 

Last edited by PhoebeOnThePhone (September 9, 2021 11:56 pm)

September 10, 2021 6:50 pm  #6

Amazing crying indeed !!! And there are so many nuances to his crying that none of them look the same. I like that flickering  crying gaze in the song that preceeds the crying. It looks as if he's holding up some emotion while letting him go. Very subtle and fascinating to watch !
Definitely some self reflection on his emotions on '''this is weird; how did you get me to be vulnerable like that?'' as if there's a masochistic streak about him that he wants his viewers to aknowledge.

Last edited by psychic_girl (September 10, 2021 7:02 pm)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

September 10, 2021 7:02 pm  #7

There's also a compilation of his crying on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2MCEzLQHig

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

September 12, 2021 10:26 pm  #8

Ack! Psychic girl! That link is wonderful! Thank y ou! I will definitely get the link of DEH's bootleg and post it soon.

September 12, 2021 10:33 pm  #9

Here you go, dolls! Dear Evan Hansen with Ben Platt - pretty good quality for a bootleg! ENJOY! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCVsMTQuSyQ&t=7308s

September 13, 2021 12:09 am  #10

And Phoebe - here is the other link to "The Politician" where Payton is crying and vulnerable with River. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcHuOLQIEA

Board footera