You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2023 5:51 pm  #1

Managing Expectations

Have you ever experienced seeing an actor/actress cry a load of tears in one project and then expect them to cry in their next

I have two examples; Natalie Portman sheds a bakers dozen of tears in Anywhere But Here but in her next project Where The Heart Is doesn't cry at all despite her character going through different but still emotional circumstances (No spoilers)

Similarly Kathryn Newton has tears running down her cheeks in six episodes of The Society but doesn't cry in Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania. There was a couple of instances where she could have shed a tear but nothing

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

March 17, 2023 6:24 pm  #2

Re: Managing Expectations

I usually think up scenarios while watching a movie I haven't seen before. Like "I think her boyfriend will die and then hopefully we'll see her cry".

I hoped Scarlett Johansson had a proper crying scene in Endgame.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

March 25, 2023 10:04 am  #3

The ones I'm not expecting are the ones I tend to enjoy the most haha

March 25, 2023 7:42 pm  #4

Ditto. The unexpected scenes are the best, although it's harder to enjoy them if I'm watching with my husband. I don't feel like I can enjoy them because he might see how much I AM enjoying them, and my dacryphilia is not something I'm ready to share with him (or anyone except the posters on this board).

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

March 26, 2023 9:24 pm  #5

I initially told my husband when I first learned there was a name for this thing,  just because I was so in awe that I wasn't alone. I regretted it quickly because 1)I don't think he really understood and 2)right after I told him he teased me a bit when a scene would come on

I quickly stopped talking about it with him at all, and fortunately I think he's forgotten as he hasn't brought it up in years

Board footera