You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2011 6:52 pm  #1

(WoundedPuppy's idea) How genuine is the crying in this video?

WP provided an idea to post threads showing crying scenes from TV and movies, and set a poll on how good the actors are at crying. Here's the first thread about it. I'll start with a video that carrotcake already posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4uv0eD5Ufg

All vote now

How well is her crying?

Ugly crying is pretty crying

August 25, 2011 7:18 pm  #2

Re: (WoundedPuppy's idea) How genuine is the crying in this video?

I'm going to say she's crying for real but I did have to think about it - the reason I finally decide it was real was the consistency in her facal expression across multiple films.
These are different characters in different situations but they all cry in a similar way.

She does appear to lose it with body movements as well as facial expression - that's difficult to do but she is an actress after all.
Not enough tears for me - she does have real tears in her eyes (whether from emotion or onions hard to be 100% sure) but they don't flow down her cheeks much.

So, in summary yes I think its real emotional crying but I could easy have been fooled by a good actress.

August 27, 2011 8:18 pm  #3

I don't think she's actually crying, but it's hard to tell. I think she's perfected a very realistic intense sobbing, and it's probably similar to her own crying. I bet it's actually more intense than her real sobbing. I mean, it's hard enough to cry on cue and get a few tears out, but to actually summon such intense sobbing? That would be a real talent.

August 27, 2011 8:42 pm  #4

tearhunter wrote:

I'm going to say she's crying for real but I did have to think about it - the reason I finally decide it was real was the consistency in her facal expression across multiple films.

Yes, I always look to see if the actress has the same expression in multiple movies. It may hint at genuine emotions, but then again maybe they're doing it on purpose.

August 27, 2011 8:43 pm  #5

carrotcake wrote:

I don't think she's actually crying, but it's hard to tell. I think she's perfected a very realistic intense sobbing, and it's probably similar to her own crying. I bet it's actually more intense than her real sobbing. I mean, it's hard enough to cry on cue and get a few tears out, but to actually summon such intense sobbing? That would be a real talent.

I agree about the intensity, it comes off quite theatrical. I wonder if this is her real life expression, though, or something close to that.

August 27, 2011 11:49 pm  #6

What I REALLY wanted to vote for was "some real emotion", but the choice didn't exist (perhaps we can add that for next time?), because I do think you have to feel at least some emotion to get your chin and bottom lip to pull back the particular way hers does - but I picked the second one with "no real emotion" because I didn't want to pick the top choice of real crying.  Probably because of what carrotcake said about the intense sobbing.  I also puzzle at how there could be that much sobbing without more tears or sniffles to accompany it.  But who knows.

What fun to be able to vote in polls, though!

By the way, if any of these actors ever snooped around on here (doubtful!), I would want them to know that we're not judging their acting TALENT... it's more like we're trying to figure out what their acting "process" or techniques in these scenes are... short of reading an interview or hearing a director's comments, we really have to make our own guesses!

November 19, 2011 9:39 pm  #7

Like woundedpuppy, I would have voted for "some real emotion" if that had been an option.  I picked "crying for real", although I think it depends on which clip in particular you're talking about...I thought in one or two of the clips the crying seemed a bit forced and unnatural.   I think it looks mostly genuine for the same reason others have stated - the crying is oddly similar in several clips.  Although her crying does seem a bit dramatic to me (with the tighly-screwed up face in the beginning, and the large sobs), it could very well just be her natural crying style.

As for the lack of heavy tears falling, some people just seem to cry like that, IMO.  I myself have had crying jags, where for whatever reason, the sobs are largely dry.  It usually seems to happen to me when I don't really want to cry freely, so the tears are mostly held back, but the sobs can't be controlled as much.  But I've cried like that at least once before when I wasn't holding myself back...so...*shrugs*

January 2, 2013 5:18 pm  #8

I voted for the second variant because as far as my knowledge and experience go raw and real emotion make the tears overflow ( no pun intended). There are people though who cry more dryly i guess, but their emotions are mostly on the surface. Her face contors a bit forced at times though there are parts in this clip where she looks more genuine, those where she also tears up and where she doesn't sob that much. A key in figuring out a fake sobbing actor  is to notice the parts where he's sad and he's suppose to tear up but he doesn't to the extent the scene asks for it while during the breaking down scenes he covers his/her face or puts on a very contorted rictus without tears streaming down or without blushing.

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

Board footera