You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2013 7:38 pm  #21

Re: Crying on cue: stories behind the scene

Apparantly, Bradley Cooper's crying scene in Silver Lining's Playbook was not acting, and he was so emotional, they didn't use most of the footage because it was too intense.  I heard an interview with him the other day where he says it is actually uncomfortable for him to watch the scene because he remembers just how out of control he was.

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

February 24, 2013 3:12 am  #22

Wow, that sounds amazing. I haven't seen the movie, but now I might have to.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

February 24, 2013 6:53 am  #23

Now, if we could just find the outtakes....

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 24, 2013 12:32 pm  #24

@reptongeek I know you're too nervous to ask a girl if she can cry on cue, but you know, I could see myself asking someone about "acting" -- as in, "are you a good actor?  do you think you could be a movie star?"  Even asking them, "are you a good liar/faker?" and then asking them if they can cry on cue, the same way I might ask someone if they can roll their r's, bend their thumb back to touch their wrist, whatever... just another 'stupid human trick'!  

Hmm, will keep this in mind for myself, actually... it would be a great way to get an observation.  I once watched a guy try to make himself cry because he wanted to do it comedically -- he was just making fun of his friend about something (the friend was right there), and he was like, "wait, I'm going to see if I can shed a tear for you"... he sat there trying and couldn't get it going, but the fact he even thought he was going to be able to do this told me something about him... very interesting!

I want those Bradley Cooper outtakes too!!!  If they exist, that is.  My goodness he is SUCH a crier.  Whenever I think of him, I think of his Actor's Studio interview... the two will always be linked in my mind!

Last edited by woundedpuppy (February 24, 2013 12:46 pm)

February 24, 2013 10:29 pm  #25

In what scene did he cry in Silver Lining's Playbook? I saw the movie on internet and i guess i missed the scene, i was with my friends and i guess i missed something... can you tell me please in what context the scene is put? For i have seen the part with de Niro crying and i haven't seen Bradley Cooper shed any tears in it..

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

February 25, 2013 3:17 am  #26

So if you remember the scene where Bradley Cooper comes back from the football game, and Robert DeNiro is yelling at him.  He's crying in that scene.  Its very short and they don't show much at all. Apparantly in shooting, he cried much harder but it was too intense so they didn't use it

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

February 25, 2013 4:42 pm  #27

That sucks, i missed it

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

February 25, 2013 4:43 pm  #28

Woody Harrelson

March 11, 2013 3:36 am  #29

Excerpt from an article with Matt Bomer 
Warning-- spoilers 

ALL IN A DAY'S WORK
Life on the set of a TV series can be funny, exhausting and poignant.
-
compiled by Randee Dawn

(excerpt)

MATTHEW BOMER, "WHITE COLLAR"
"In the season finale, my character watches the love of his life blow up in an airplane on tape. I spend 70 hours a week trying to be this person - and when we did the take, I completely broke down and was inconsolable for 10 minutes. There was no boundary between pretending and reality. You move so fast in television that I couldn't have any expectations about how I would play the scene - expectations will get you into trouble - so I just did my homework, and that's what happened. It's one of those momets that were just the culmination of the work I'd put into the character, and it all came out at one time, involuntarily."

March 13, 2013 12:46 pm  #30

In the otherwise excerable 'Movie 43' there is a small section with Emma Stone shedding a single tear. Apparently according to the director of her segment, she managed to do this for multiple takes

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

Board footera