You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2013 10:28 pm  #1

sort of obs.

My husband cried two nights ago in my arms but being the guy he is he wouldn't let me see his face. Our financial situation is pretty lousy right now. He was asking me to pay the rent this month from money I had set aside for something else and I guess he was just so humiliated.he looked kind of down so I have him a hug and the next thing I realized my shoulder was wet. He was forcing himself to control his breathing so there would be no sobs or quivering.but the tears kept coming and he kept his face buried in my chest along time.he did his usual thing of beating himself up for crying and trying to force himself to stop.
I've been trying to get him to stop putting time limits on his feelings.when he cries, he feels that the fact that he was brought to tears should be sufficient and tells himself"ok.that was enough.suck it up." I keep telling him there is no time frame.when he is done it will stop on its own..
He used to not cry at all.when his sister died six months ago I never saw a year ago he is getting better about feeling safe letting it out but he still seems to feel like being unable to choose what makes him cry and for how long is a failure on his part.he wants to be in control of his crying but I think he's learning it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by inmyarms (June 25, 2013 11:17 pm)

Tears are the last gift of true love.

June 25, 2013 2:21 am  #2

Re: sort of obs.

You sound like an awesome wife. I like "putting time limits on his feelings" as a phrase, and good for you for pinpointing the problem and helping him with it.
I've never seen it happen, but I'm guessing my boyfriend is the same way when it comes to crying. He's super rational in some ways, and very emotional in other ways, and sometimes the rationality gets in the way of the necessary expression of emotions. I hope he doesn't have a reason to cry anytime soon, but I'm anticipating similar issues when it does happen: the whole "that's enough of that" thing.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

June 25, 2013 3:19 am  #3

I loathe autocorrect.I meant to call the thread sort of obs since he never let me see his face. He tells me straight out."but I cried I let it out, so why am I still down?" I told him it's because he shuts it off before there's any release and puts so much energy into controlling the sound.com breathing. He said but I cried a couple minutes and it's enough. Should I just sit there and cry for two hours? I said yes, if that's what needs to happen. He shrugged and turned away. 

He's very big also on beating himself up for crying for the wrong things. When his sister died, his brother was crying so hard he couldn't up for air but my husband shut down, went blank. In the months since her death he's cried for her once that I know of. But upon being diagnosed with a long unknown learning disability in his late thirties, he cried for half an hour and the whole time kept asking me "why am I crying more now than when S__ died? It doesn't make sense! Why can't I calm down and just stop
I'm trying to help him learn to take emotions as they come. They don't follow a play book and that unpredictability makes him feel threatened and out of control.

Last edited by inmyarms (June 25, 2013 3:21 am)

Tears are the last gift of true love.

June 27, 2013 6:59 am  #4

That's a wonderful obs, and it sounds like you and he are working through things wonderfully.  I think my boyfriend is kind of like that with the crying, as well.  I've yet to see him cry in person, unfortunately, but one time he called me crying and the whole time was insisting that he wasn't as upset as he sounded and that he couldn't understand why he wouldn't stop crying.  I could tell he was still upset, though, and after me telling him about three times to just relax and let himself cry I think he finally listened.

Board footera