You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2013 6:34 am  #1

Hurting and Considering Semi-Telling My Boyfriend

So, my boyfriend has been dealing with depression for a few years now, and things are finally starting to get better for him.  A couple of days ago, we were talking about it and the circumstances that surrounded it, and he opened up to me about some details regarding a particularly hard time for him in the depression--some details that he had never been able to tell me when they were actually going on.  I felt terrible knowing the full extent of what he had been through, but I was also hurt because he hadn't been able to tell me.  He had always said beforehand that he was completely comfortable with me and that he could tell me anything, and that meant the world to me, he being an abnormally shy person and me being someone who, as you could all imagine, puts particular emphasis on the emotional intimacy between us.  Now, though, I have to face the fact that none of that is true; that, in what had to be the worst time in his life, he couldn't bring himself to tell me what was going on.  

I'm sort of having a hard time dealing with that.  I understand that things had sort of warped his perspective a little during that time.  He told me when we were discussing it that he still feels like he could tell me anything, though he knows that he didn't actually do it when things were bad.  I'm hurt because, when he could honestly tell me things like that, I felt so wonderful.  I felt like I had successfully made him feel safe, like he never had to deal with his pain alone.  That's what I wanted.  Now I feel like I'll never have that again because (hopefully) he'll never have another time like that in his life.  Therefore, no matter what happens and what he says and does to create that illusion, I'll always know that when it gets right down to the worst moments, it all goes away.

Our relationship is currently long-distance, but we're going to be together for a while in a month, and we've promised to have a talk when we can be in person.  I'm trying to decide what all I want to say to him when that talk comes.  I want to reassure him that we're still okay and that I accept him and love him even with what he told me, but I also want to express some of the feelings I mentioned above to him.  I'm thinking about it, and I think what I want to do is sort of explain an "abridged" version of the hurt-comfort/crying fetishes to him.  I don't want to bring in the word "fetish" or the sexual aspect, because a) the sexual part isn't that important to me and b) I don't want to damage his trust in me any more.  I think I want to say something regarding how important being there for him is to me.  Tell him that I am, by nature, more protective than the average girlfriend, that it manifests itself in many ways, from me wanting to be the "big spoon" abnormally frequently for a girl in a heterosexual relationship to me wanting to be able to actually take away all his problems.  That I just love the idea of making him feel safe, and that the reason his not telling me is hard on me is because it took away the feeling that I could successfully do this, that I could keep him safe.  I think maybe that if I blame the root of my pain on my own internal characteristics, it'll be easier to tell him it hurt me without him feeling as bad about it, and I would also get to explain this side of myself a bit to him, which I would really like to do.

So yeah.  Thanks a lot if you read all that.  I guess I don't really have any particular question to ask you all, I'm just sort of putting it here partially as a conversation starter for the forum and partially because I need to talk about it somewhere while I wait and plan for the real conversation.  So, to those of you that made it this far in the post, have any of you ever been hurt over knowing that someone you love most couldn't come to you in a time of need (particularly considering it meant so much to you, being someone with this fetish)?  Also, is there anything you think I should particularly be sure to say or not to say in trying to describe my desires to comfort and protect him (aside from the sexual stuff I already mentioned omitting)?  

July 1, 2013 7:04 pm  #2

Re: Hurting and Considering Semi-Telling My Boyfriend

I've struggled with the same thing. I think you're absolutely right to omit the sexual aspect, since that might make him feel less comfortable coming to you when he needs it. But I do think it's a good idea for you to tell him some of these things about yourself-- you guys have been together for quite a while, if I'm remembering right, and I'm sure he's noticed it all already, but it'll be good for him to hear it from you. I did the same thing with my boyfriend after our first or second date, and I'm going to post our exact conversation here (I saved it all) because I think it has some talking points that might be helpful to you. 

I had asked him what exactly he was looking for in a relationship, and he wrote: "Probably the most important thing to me was that I both feel comfortable with the person and that they can provide some level of comfort when I'm having a bad day. You do that extremely well."
I responded: "I'm really glad to hear that, because I actually really enjoy comforting people I care about when they need it. I love being leaned on. It's hard to explain, but I think there's a kind of intimacy that goes with it. Obviously when you're having a bad day (not you specifically, just the general "you"), you don't just go complain to everyone you see, you save it for someone who will listen and might be able to help. I consider it a compliment to be that person. I hope that doesn't sound too weird."
He replied: "That's not at all weird and I actually feel the same way. That's part of why I was looking for someone like that. I think its one of my best qualities that people tend to come to me for help. It's also why I'm so frustrated when I can't help, though. I feel like I'm somehow breaking their trust or something."

Obviously the context is different because we were just getting to know each other, and you and your boyfriend have been together a long time and are working on a specific issue, but I thought it might be relevant. From here it was pretty easy to make the jump from "I like comforting people" to "I like comforting people so much that it's arousing to me" haha, and luckily he responded well to that information. I don't know if you necessarily want to do that, ever, but it's a good first step if you want to disclose that in the future.

As a final note, and I'm sure you know this already, depression isolates its victims. I wouldn't be too hurt by his inability to tell you everything, because that's just the nature of the disease.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

July 3, 2013 5:14 am  #3

Re: Hurting and Considering Semi-Telling My Boyfriend

Thanks.  It was nice to hear a sample conversation, and I'm glad you think it's a good idea.  And I do understand that depression by nature does that to you.  It's sort of a situation where my head knows it wasn't him that was keeping it from me, but my heart is still hurt by it.  It's interesting because ever since he's told me about it, I've been practicing what I tell him in my head, and half the time I'm super supportive and understanding, and half the time I get really upset about it.  I'm hoping I can calm down the irrational half of me somewhat before we talk.

Board footera