You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2013 3:15 pm  #1

Crying Continuity, Movies/TV

Has anybody noticed continuity errors during crying scenes. Two examples that I'm aware of are; 1) In the film Don't Say A Word late in the film Brittany Murphy's character sheds two tears from the same eye but on both occasions they fall down a dry cheek and 2) In an episode of Pretty Little Liars, Jenna gets slapped by Hanna which makes her cry but the tear magically switches places between shots

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

August 21, 2013 10:00 pm  #2

Re: Crying Continuity, Movies/TV

Truthfully, I've never noticed it.  I suspect if I did, it was because I wasn't emotionally engaged in the scene and was critiquing the performance rather than feeling the initial wrench of emotion I feel when a crying scene is well-acted.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

August 22, 2013 5:42 pm  #3

I have noticed that! I can't think of any specific examples, but the times I noticed it usually consisted of just one or two tears that switched sides or something similar. If the crying scene is more involved, I get wrapped up in the emotion and don't notice specifics like that.

August 22, 2013 7:07 pm  #4

First time i noticed it it was in The Fellowship of the ring, when Frodo cries before the end , before the boat scene where we are shown a close up of his eyes. First time a tear streams from the left eyye and then the next scene after a pause we see the tear swich to the other cheek. it's very noticeble and i was bafled that they left it that way... I won't post this scene here , i guess the movie can be found pretty easily on most sites. A scene with Sam in in last part of the trilogy is pretty much the same..i'm talking here about the scene where he thinks Frodo died after he was stung by the spider. We are shown his face with tears streaming down and at one point, with no tears..and then again..This one is more subtle but still..

Last edited by psychic_girl (August 22, 2013 7:08 pm)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

August 22, 2013 9:16 pm  #5

The crying scene in Good Will Hunting "it is not your fault". Firts Will hugs from above, afterwards you see him hugging from under

August 22, 2013 11:45 pm  #6

I haven't noticed that, bur the one thing I have started to notice is that often, before an actor is supposed to cry, they don't blink for ages - obviously to try and conjure irritant tears rather than emotional tears! 

Board footera