You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2013 6:30 am  #1

Glasses and contacts

When I got my first glasses I was in first grade. I was worrried what I would do with them when I am crying, leave them on the nose or take them off. When you take them off it is more obvious that you are crying. Later I got contact lenses and was worrried that tears would wash them out of my eyes. Does somebody know the problem?

Sorry, I corrected the writing, lots of typing mistakes, it is not easy on the I Pad...

Last edited by flatter (September 8, 2013 4:55 pm)

September 8, 2013 3:06 pm  #2

Re: Glasses and contacts

Yep, I can sympathize, since I have glasses. I don't take them off if there are just a few tears (especially if I'm watching a movie). But if there's going to be more intense sobbing, I'll often remove them. And anyway, usually when I'm crying hard, I'm lying in bed/burying my face in my pillow, so I definitely have my glasses off then. If I'm crying on my boyfriend's shoulder, I'll also take off my glasses. I don't have a ton of personal experience with sobbing while I'm in public or not in my own home (actually, none, now that I think about it). If I were in the car (not driving, of course), I'd definitely leave them on, but that's mostly because I'd feel dizzy if I didn't have my glasses on while the car was moving. I can remember one or two times when I sobbed while in the passenger seat, and the glasses stayed on.

I don't have any experience with contacts, but I have sometimes wondered what the logistics of that would be and whether the tears interfere with the lenses.

September 8, 2013 4:58 pm  #3

I don't cry very often, but my contact lenses never were washed out, even when crying with a lot of tears :-)

September 8, 2013 8:18 pm  #4

Last time I had a long hard cry the tears washed the lenses right out of my eyes.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

September 9, 2013 5:05 am  #5

Iv'e never had a problem with cotacts getting washed out, if was going to cry for a good long time, alone, the glasses would come off, also as a way to kind of block everything out becuase the blurred vision would help create a kind of personal bubble.

“...you know that a good, long session of weeping can often make you feel better, even if your circumstances have not changed one bit.”
― Lemony Snicket, The Bad Beginning

September 10, 2013 1:20 am  #6

I love to see men with glasses cry. My boyfriend from high school had glasses, and he only cried in front of me once, but it was awesome.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

January 20, 2015 4:39 pm  #7

Bumping an old thread
My wife and sister both got prescription glasses over the past couple of months. Very different reactions from the two of them.

My youngest sister has always let tears fall down her face, no matter how hard she's crying. That has completely changed. Now, she leaves her glasses on and sticks her finger behind the glasses to wipe her eyes. The strange thing is, she has started to do a very mild but open-mouthed lip curl at the moment when she's wiping her eyes. The lip curl disappears the instant she stops wiping her eyes.

My wife leaves her glasses on and wipes the tears from her cheeks if she's crying during a conversation, or while doing something else (like cooking. Long story). If she's sobbing the glasses come off, but she still lets the tears fall freely. Her lip curling habits haven't changed.

I don't wear glasses or contacts, so I don't have any experience with this.

January 20, 2015 4:52 pm  #8

truffle wrote:

eyes. The strange thing is, she has started to do a very mild but open-mouthed lip curl at the moment when she's wiping her eyes. The lip curl disappears the instant she stops wiping her eyes.

Yes, I actually addressed this on my thread about lip curl types. I personally don't consider someone to be a real lip curler if they only lip curl while wiping their eyes. The mouth goes downwards I think to create more space between the eyes and the cheeks while wiping tears, so it's not a direct cause of crying.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

Board footera