You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2013 7:58 pm  #1

tears at work

In my office I have one very dear empolyee. She is still young but she seems to be much older and very mature. She sees all the work which has to be done and she even does more without a word from my part. She is a shy person, doesn't talk much about herself and the age difference between us is also noticeable. We had several discussions about heavy issues and she was always very composed.
3 weeks ago she got sick and had to stay home for several days, when she came back she was still weak, couldn't eat much but didn't want to let us work without her. She is really irreplaceable!
Towards the evening just before closing she came to my room looking very down, her face was blotchy and her eyes were red. First she just stood there, finally she managed to tell me that her boyfriends uncle just died, with a broken voice. I just saw the tears glisten in her eyes and she wiped them away as soon as they left her eyes, no lip curl. I stood up uncertain if she would allow that I hug her but she immediately started to turn around and keeping her distance. I told her to go home and leave everything at work. We talked some more and she always had this wavering voice, as soon as you could hear the emotion in her voice she smiled and managed to go on talking without braking into tears.
Maybe I am a coward that I didn't hug her, maybe it is the gap between us from boss to empoloyee, or maybe it was just correct like this.
The next day we had a good talk about the circumstances of the death of her bf uncle and she told me that she is tired because of her illness and the pressure of a new death, because the bf  father died 3 months ago. A few weeks ago she had an exam because of a failed operation she had and it seems like she has to undergo surgery again. If this time the surgery doesn't work out it is possible that she can't go on working in her job anymore.
Afflicted soul, why do some people have to  go through so much bad luck in such young age?

October 9, 2013 10:14 pm  #2

Re: tears at work

She sounds like a wonderful person who is really overwhelmed.

I think it's fine that you didn't hug her, especially because in this case it may have made her uncomfortable. It seems to me that you are being a supportive and understanding boss. Your understanding can go a long way to relieving some of her stress.

October 10, 2013 7:53 pm  #3

True, I think you acted correctly. I'm young too, and I'm one of those people who values professionalism very highly. I would hate crying at work and I wouldn't want to be hugged either. I think the best thing you can do for her is give her permission to take care of herself-- go home early if she needs, maybe take on fewer responsibilities at work until she feels in control again.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

October 11, 2013 4:30 am  #4

I think you did fine.I think a boss hug would be awkward.you're j n a position to help her by giving her the time she needs to take care of herself and her greiving bf without fear of losing her job.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

Board footera