You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2013 8:38 pm  #1

first time crying in front of bf

Things have been hard for me since I graduated from college this spring. I had to leave one job because of concerns about my own safety, and right now I'm working two part time jobs, one of which I like quite a bit. I just got another job offer from the place I've been volunteering for years, and I have always considered it my dream job. The problem is that they want me to work on the days that my boyfriend has off, which means that he and I would never get to see each other for more than a couple hours at a time (also he's about to move an hour away, which would only make it more difficult). So I felt really upset and conflicted about it, and I told him, and I could tell he was trying really hard to be okay with it, because he knows how much this job would mean to me.
I asked if he could tell me how upset he was so we could work on it. “Quite.” I asked him if we could talk about it more, and after a few false starts (“it’s just something I have to deal with”), he started talking. He said he was upset because we could never have days like we had last week, when we went out for a bike ride and just spent the day together. He said we would always be on a schedule.I told him “I love you so, so much. You and your feelings are a priority to me. I’m asking you to talk to me about it so I can understand your feelings and take them into consideration.”
We finished talking and were quiet for a while. I was resting my head on his shoulder. Then I started crying. I was trying to be quiet because we were at his parents' house, but I was still sobbing. I didn't think I was shedding that many tears, but I did get his shirt pretty wet. I hate being uncertain, and I am sick of stepping stones from one job to another, never feeling secure in any of them. He held me tightly, and asked, “Do you just need to cry for a while or do you want me to talk you through it?” “Both,” I squeaked. So he talked to me. He told me I was worrying about everything at once when I didn’t need to. He calmed me down expertly and kept holding me after I stopped crying. I was crying for maybe 10 minutes, and when we talked afterwards I had a couple 30 second "relapses."

After a little while, he said, “I have something weird to tell you. But it seems like you want to know everything, no matter how weird it is.” I nodded.
“This is the first time I’ve been with someone one-on-one who was crying.”
I said, “Okay, but you have seen me cry twice before.”
“Yeah, but that was different.” (And it was, those times it was just a couple quiet tears.) Then he told me about one time when he wasn't able to help someone he was close to, and it seemed like he still felt bad about it.
"Well, you did wonderfully just now.” I said, “Speaking of weird questions, and since we’re on the topic. Insofar as you feel comfortable crying at all, would you feel okay crying in front of me?” He thought a moment and said, “I wouldn’t feel any less comfortable.” This is huge for me, since he knows about my fetish.
After that we stayed up way later than we should have, just lying together. I thanked him for comforting me even when he was upset himself, and apologized for stealing his thunder, which he laughed at.
I’ve decided to say no to the dream job and stick with the part time job. I would have loved the job, but the rest of my life would suffer. Either way it’s a sacrifice, but I’d rather sacrifice my dream job than my social life and my relationship. My boyfriend had conflicting feelings when I told him about it, but later he thanked me, and said it means a lot in a lot of different ways. I just want him to know that I’m serious about him, and his happiness is a part of my happiness.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

October 11, 2013 3:30 am  #2

Re: first time crying in front of bf

Oh, and one more detail. When he said this was his first time comforting someone who was crying, I asked him, "How was it?" He said, "It was more emotional for me than I expected."

It was a really hard night, but god was it wonderful too.

October 11, 2013 4:24 am  #3

Wow he sounds wonderful.he seems really intuitive and expressive. I love that he asked you if you needed to cry out talk.most guys have a panic response in a situation like that for the first time.many men have an instinct to fix things, make it all better and feel helpless when they can't.I am impressed how he knew to address your feelings rather than trying to solve the problem for you. Very unusual and special.

Last edited by inmyarms (October 11, 2013 4:25 am)

Tears are the last gift of true love.

October 11, 2013 11:06 am  #4

You made a Good decision! If you really love your bf it was the right decision. I think when you would have taken the Job it would have been a Problem. A relationship needs Time together.

October 12, 2013 1:00 am  #5

That was his first time comforting someone one-on-one? He handled it remarkably well! I'm glad you were both happier afterward. It always warms my heart to hear about guys being so sweet while comforting their SO's.

It's definitely those 30-second "relapses" that are so frustrating in my opinion. Those shouldn't exist. We should just be able to stop and be done for the rest of the conversation.

Last edited by truffle (October 12, 2013 1:25 am)

October 13, 2013 4:08 am  #6

It's funny, he is that sort of typical guy in some respects. I asked him, as a follow up question, "If you were crying, what could i do to comfort you best?" And he said that the "shh, it's okay" variety of comforting often just makes him angry, and the best thing I can do is help fix the problem. Given that, I'm all the more impressed that he understood my needs so well.

I mentioned in an older thread in the Lounge that he has some anxiety surrounding saying "i love you" to me. He's done it a few times, but he just needs to be really sure about it. When we were talking about what happened the other night, he said, "last night it was more like, how could i not love you?" And that has kicked this whole thing into high gear-- just a huge soupy mess of love and comfort and arousal haha. I've never been turned on by my own tears, and I wouldn't say that's what's happening now, but I'm definitely turned on by the care and comfort I got from him. That's new for me.

October 13, 2013 8:23 pm  #7

he seems to be a good man and worth hanging onto.  I wish y'all all the best.

Board footera