You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2013 7:34 pm  #1

writing about crying?

I recently tried my hand at the crying fiction section (it's called The Gifting if anyone's interested) but the process of writing a cry heavy story got me thinking about trying to capture the experience of crying in words.it's so easy to get repetitive and use cliches and not really get into describing the sensation or the experience very well. So I was wondering, what books or stories or literature in general do you thing does the best job of writing about crying? Including descriptions, originality, and setting up the atmosphere so you feel it with the character.
My favorite is a poem called the fountain of tears by Victorian writer Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy. The imagery is very moving. What about you guys?

Last edited by inmyarms (November 3, 2013 7:35 pm)

Tears are the last gift of true love.

November 4, 2013 5:40 pm  #2

Re: writing about crying?

I have a weird relationship with it. Most of the conventional literature I've read that deals with crying doesn't go into enough detail for me, but when there IS the kind of detail I want, it comes off as too gratuitous and fetishy.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

November 4, 2013 10:33 pm  #3

Re: writing about crying?

It would only be fetishy for those of us who have a fetish. To others it's just expressive writing I guess.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

Board footera