You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2013 4:44 pm  #1

husband obs

So as you know my husband gets emotional about our financial situation.he has an old fashioned make view of himself as the provider and protector and it current poverty is very hard on him.yesterday was tough for him because his boys who were with us for the weekend had outgrown their suits and he can't afford to replace them.he kept up a good front for most of the day.he let it his energy by helping with the cleaning. I was in my room with my ten year old making jewelry.I crochet wire, she made those rubber band brackets that are all the rage now.
My husband came in the room and told my daughter to go to bed.I asked if she could just finish the bracelet she was making.he said she could finish it in her room.she asked if she could just stay with me too she was done.my husband sighed and said "I want to spend some time with mommy now". I was surprised because he doesn't usually do this unless the kids are settled for the night.

When my daughter left the room he sank down in the chair next to me and slumped his head on my shoulder. He said "I'm not sleeping, I'm  gaining weight, the kids need clothes, I keep having heartburn, were behind on rent....." basically just letting off a long list of everything that has been writing on him all day. He spoke normally but here and there I heard him sniff and I felt like my shoulder was wet. He asked if I had received a check a friend of mine has offered to help us out.he was going he could use it to get the boys clothes.I said I hadn't.he ess just a quiet for a while.finally he sat up. I took his hand and squeezed.ss one big tear slide down into his beard. He went back on my shoulder. After a few minutes he said " its passing now.Thanks. I'm gonna go get the kids to bed".

It's interesting how our situation has created this role reversal with us.I was always highly emotional sometimes hysterecal and high strung. He was emotionally shut off to an extreme. In the heart since his sister died I hadn't seen him cry once and when he would start to feel the kids he would chalk it up to work and exhaustion. Like he didn't even recognize an emotion unless it was a symptom of something and he was just as oblivious to joy as yy pain. Now though he has been turning to me more often in little increments to let things out which is a huge thing for him. I on the other hand have shut off almost entirely. The only way I could vote with the day to day reality of living for five years in survival mode was to become numb to it.I haven't cried in months.I've become apathetic in many ways.it feels unnatural at times but it's like being on autopilot.I'm glad he's learning to feel and Tennessee because if one of us didn't we'd be a simmering volcano ready to explode. This at least allows for some valve. I can at least act as a comforter which keeps me from avoiding the reality entirely.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

November 26, 2013 10:58 pm  #2

Re: husband obs

I can relate.  The Lord be with you!

November 27, 2013 8:32 pm  #3

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you both come out on the other side stronger and wiser persons. It sure sounds like your husband is about to find a new side to himself, but I don't think it is good for you to shut your self down emotionally. But I can understand why, because it is sort of a defense mode. A wonderful observation. Your husband is lucky to have you there to comfort him. Let him be your support also. I wish you the best.

Tears are words the heart can't express...
-unknown-

November 28, 2013 2:35 am  #4

I haven't been shutting down intentionally.it's not like I've been fighting my feelings.but after the last blow happened about a month ago I almost physically felt a switch in my head click off.  I think my psyche just went into survival mode.the truth is its a very strange almost surreal experience for me. I have always been emotionally in tune and high strung.I never cried much but I would talk about my problems constantly even if no one was there. I would talk them out to myself, sorting through my emotions.I would sing,I would write, Iwould immerse my self in my emotions and analyze them for better or worse.and if that didn't work THEN I'd completely freak out.crying would only be a part of it when that happened. I have never been set on neutral before like this. One advantage of it though is it gives me an understanding of what my husband was feeling like for the first several years of our relationships when I would be hysterical about something and he would just zone out and I would think he didn't care about the issue. Now I see what it means to care but be unable to react. Maybe that's why this is happening.so we can understand each other better.

He has very much been trying to be there for me but I don't know how to let him. I think it would feel very nice if I could. This is a very foreign sensation.

Last edited by inmyarms (November 28, 2013 2:39 am)

December 10, 2013 11:38 pm  #5

Understanding and respecting each other's feelings is of gigantic importance in any relationship, married or otherwise.  It may well be the Lord is using your troubles to help you be more sensitive to each other.  Everybody in the forum wishes you the best.  Prayers and hugs.

Last edited by handkerchief (December 26, 2013 12:43 am)

December 15, 2013 10:07 pm  #6

Thank you so much.  could sure use both.

December 16, 2013 9:52 pm  #7

Sorry you are having such a tough time - hope things improve soon.

I think what your husband is doing is a health way to deal with stress to be honest. There are times I wish I could do the same when it comes to stress. I clearly realised he was going to and needs to cry and specifically wanted to cry openly - tears and all - with you.

Dispite the stress and problems that shows a huge amount of love and trust.

December 16, 2013 10:35 pm  #8

It was a long journey to get here. He rarely cries openly. He may let some tears escape as in this case but only twice have i ever seen him fully let go and really cry and both times he  fought it.

Board footera