You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2013 10:03 am  #1

change in crying

Have you ever thought about the change of crying by getting older?
When you watch children cry normally they cry just open, they are not embarassed, the bawl out loud, they howl, they just do it, tears spilling everywhere, snot- and they like to be comforted. When they grow older the bawling dissappears completely, they cry audible, cover their face most of the time, they become more "social criers". In puberty they stop crying in front of others, you rarely see an adolescent cry. And than maybe later the crying comes back? I know I describe a cliche.

I can talk for myself: I don't remember the bawling part as a toddler and child. I remember when I started reading, I was attracted to crying scenes and I remember one book quite particularly where a crying scene is described, where the boy didn't make a sound and just the tears spilled over his cheeks. I was impressed by this scene and decided to do the same next time crying.
I also remember my mother who controlled me quite a lot, also by following me around and telling me afterwards I was the loudest and she doesn't like me shouting around. She did the same thing when I was crying: she told me to stop, not to be loud, especially not to sob. That's when I changed.
Is it social conformness, or is it just a personal thing? I especially mean the developpment from bawling openly to silent crying.

December 27, 2013 11:13 am  #2

Re: change in crying

This is very interesting flatter and its an aspect of crying I find fasinating. My guess is it's partly physical and partly social in both women and men and effects individiuals differently as they get older.

For very young children crying is about getting the attention of their carer - in babies they don't even shed tears initially. Young children realise it's the sound that gets the attention and by sobbing and bawlng it sure to get noticed quicker - when the tears come with the crying they don't have the embarrasement because I don't think they have the concept of being embarrased at that age,

As they become teenagers male crying drops off dramtically - girls and boys cry about the same and shed roughly the same volume of tears but when puberty hits males stop crying - sometimes almost completely. If they do cry the tear volume is generally far less than before. For me this must be chemically driven by changes in the body and although there will be a social aspect ("big boys don't cry") this is not the driving force. Teen women still continue to cry and will continue to produce tears. Not sure of the exact process but I believe the introduction of the menstral cycle plays a bit part in female crying at this time. Surveys have proposed that female crying at this age is mainly due to relationship issues!

I think that from teens into early adulthood individuals of both sexes realise that they can lose face if they are seen crying. For guys the natural reduction in crying means they are faced with the problem of trying to control their emotions - perhaps one reason why guys in general are not so in tune with their emotions. For women they still cry but they alter the way and time they cry to be more socially acceptable - i.e. they will cry quietly or cry alone.

As adults build close relationships the oppertunity to show emotion without embarrasement is removed for some. I think for guys this can be a huge release - I don't like crying alone (as some adult women prefer to do) and will actively seek out my wife and cry openly with flowing unchecked tears in front of her without embarrsement. That's not to say I will cry in front of anyone but at least in certain circumstances male crying becomes more social again. For women, I think it's harder - they want to cry but they are more effected by the social requirements that views them as weak if they cry.

To focus on your question I think the change from sobbing / bawling crying to quiet crying is primarily social driven. Although most on this forum have different views most don't find crying attractive - they don't like the swollen eyes, tear stained cheeks, wobbly voice, trembling chin etc If they do cry they want to cry like they do in the movie - slient beautiful tears without any snot, noise or red swollen face. Many times this work just fine but I've noticed, male and female crying when it is intense - when a major event is the cause of the crying - it can revert back to sobbing and loud crying.

Any these are just my thoughts - very interesting stuff - thanks for bringing it up. 

December 29, 2013 7:51 am  #3

Did you read the book from Jeffrey A. Cottler "language of tears". I was searching for some other books dealing with the suject but I was not lucky. Maybe you know some?
I find it very interesting to study crying habits. Not the crying in a film or tv serie but in real life. I also talked to very few people about their crying before I found the forum. I never mentioned my fetish and people are also very "close" to talk about their crying habits, which I understand, because it is one of the most personal things you can talk about. I just ask about the crying if I know a person very well.

December 29, 2013 5:57 pm  #4

There are a number of books about crying I'm surprised you have found then. One is called crying, the natural cultural history of tears. There's another called crying, the mystery of tears. One is called seeing through tears, crying and attachment...another is Adult Crying: A Biopsychosocial Approach. There's holy tears, crying in the religious imagination.
There's one I loved called strength within tears,a path to crying.written by a englishman who like most western men had taught himself not to cry because he felt it was weak until one day he realized that he had to much inside if him and had to teach himself how to cry again. He tells how he went about learning to cry and the ways he feels it helps him in life.it's a short book but very beautiful.

Last edited by inmyarms (December 29, 2013 5:57 pm)

Tears are the last gift of true love.

December 29, 2013 6:50 pm  #5

Thank you for the tips! I guess I have to read them in english because there is not much in other languages (in my case german...)

December 29, 2013 7:22 pm  #6

good thing youre fluent in english then

Tears are the last gift of true love.

Board footera