You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2011 7:42 pm  #1

Self

Hello, all! I literally just joined about five minutes ago, so why not start with a good observation?
This is from a couple weeks ago. It was really quite embarassing.

Well, I was in this marching band contest for my high school freshmen. We were to do drills as my director yelled them off to us, and we had an audience of all the upperclassmen (about 200). My section leader was cheering all of my section on, and I was happy because I had a bit of a crush on him.
Every time we got finished with a drill, the director would go around and tap people on the shoulder to acknowledge they messed up, and were out. Once they got out, they were to sit with the upperclassmen.

I was doing pretty good, I thought. Until I made a stupid mental error and went forwards instead of backwards. When I got the 'Tap of Doom', me and all the other people who were out went to sit with the upperclassmen. I was fine, I mean I was disappointed in myself, but it was okay. My section leader found me and started reassuring me that I did great and that he was proud of me.

I stood over by some fence and waited for my best friend to get the Tap of Doom. But she turned out to be in the top 10 remaining people, as I kept watching. But then she finally got out, and when my section leader found her, he went crazy. He was hugging her and saying how he's never had someone in his section make it so far...and that did it for me. I didn't feel a lump at first, which is odd, because I always feel a lump in my throat when I cry. My eyes were just watering. I kept wiping my eyes, because imagine if someone saw a 14 year old girl crying out of pure jealousy. How stupid of me, right?

Well, then she walked over and immediately asks me why I was crying. I told her I wasn't, but then I felt the lump, and tears start falling down my cheeks. I tried to wipe them away and cover my face, but they just kept coming. She put her arm around my shoulder and kept saying things like, "It's okay", "you can tell me anything", and "what's wrong?". My breathing was ragged and I had to keep quiet because I didn't want any upperclassmen to see, even though they were all paying attention to the competition anyway. She led me kind of away from the crowd.
I said, "I, d-dont know why I'm even...crying," once I had myself collected. I took in a deep, shaky breath, sniffled once, and I was done. Somehow, the subject changed, and we ended up fixing it all with laughter (the best medicine.)

Later in the day, she cautiously brought it up again. I told her it was because I missed my dad, who is in Afghanistan. I felt guilty for using that as an excuse, even if it is true, because that wasnt why I was crying.

I hope someone here can enjoy my pain more than I!

August 1, 2011 12:21 am  #2

Re: Self

I can totally understand why you felt like crying in that situation.  It's very normal.  And normal to hide the real reason behind it, too.  Thanks for sharing.

December 30, 2013 5:27 pm  #3

Nice t'have you on board, honey!  And don't feel all that embarrassed.  We've all been there, some more than others.  And thanks to your daddy for his service, and God Almighty keep him safe.

December 30, 2013 5:51 pm  #4

This is what I meant when I made that post about vanishing newbies. This person signed up in 2011, posted twice and hasn't been back.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

Board footera